• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
andyloc

is there a DVD shrink function in EMC 8?

Question

I want to be able to shrink my movie DVDs to a 4.7Gb blank DVD. ie as per DVD Shrink or Neo recode.

IS there a function that does this within EMC 8?

I know about the protection systems, and that you can only do unprotected ones

thanks

5 answers to this question

I want to be able to shrink my movie DVDs to a 4.7Gb blank DVD. ie as per DVD Shrink or Neo recode.

thanks

What's the point of shrinking a 4.7GB DVD to another 4.7GB DVD? :)

thanks

In MyDVD there is a Project Setting for "Fit to Disc". Its' lowest setting, 4.5mbps will allow 2 hours on a 4.7gb disc.

Plan B is what most of use. That consists of burning an ISO image from MyDVD and using Disc Copier to burn the image using Fit to Disc. DC seems to do a better job, without all the fiddling you have to do to manually get it to work.

Andy - Disc Copier can transcode dual layer to single layer and does a fairly good job, too. It has been awhile since I tested this feature, but if I remember correctly, you should be able to input ISO files or a video folder.

As James pointed out, this method is a good work-around for MyDVD's lack of lower bitrates. Just output your home movies at best quality and let Disc Copier transcode the file to single layer disc.

Andy - Disc Copier can transcode dual layer to single layer and does a fairly good job, too. It has been awhile since I tested this feature, but if I remember correctly, you should be able to input ISO files or a video folder.

As James pointed out, this method is a good work-around for MyDVD's lack of lower bitrates. Just output your home movies at best quality and let Disc Copier transcode the file to single layer disc.

How do you do this ? I have EMC8 Deluxe Suite (no fixes). In my DVD I create a DVD with custom settings (720x480 6 Mps - these number may be wrong, I'm doing this from memory) and specify the disk size as DVD-DL 8.4 GB. I do the burn and create an .iso file. I can then use this .iso file in Disk Copier to create a Dual Layer DVD that plays in DVD Players (lucky me :-). So I read this post and decided to give it a try (given the price of Dual Layer DVDs) I bring up DiskCopier, select the above .iso file as my source , have a Single Layer DVD in my target drive and press copy. It then pops up a message saying to insert a dual layer dvd in the target drive. I don't see any "fit to disk" selection any where. Did I do something wrong or is this feature in some other version of EMC 8 ? These file are home movies, not copy protected stuff. Thanks

Edited by woodchuckr

What you just tried works for me. I've never purchased any DL media. Still too expensive. It worked using the 'standard' and 'deluxe' versions. I'm not familiar with the 'Essentials' version so this feature may not be available in that one.