• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Vhs To Dvd Quality Problems

broke

Question

I am trying to convert some older VHS tapes to DVD using Easy VHS to DVD and a Dell computer with XP. Everything seems to work fine but the resultant quality of the DVD is grainey and of less quality than the original VHS. The hook up is from a VCR via a composite video connector. The VCR does not have S-video capability.

The composite connector is about 6 feet long and I have also used the USB extension cable. Would this be too much cable?

Also, the composite connector is a dish network coaxial cable. Is this ok?

I am a novice but would appreciate your thoughts as to why the quality is not what it should be. Thanks much

8 answers to this question

Thanks, I tried the suggestions and I believe the result is somewhat better. I assume the tape, which is 15 years old, is not a good a source as I had hoped. Thanks for your help.

One other question, I know I am missing something but I cannot find where I make sure the quality is set to DV?

also used the USB extension cable. Would this be too much cable?

That has caused problems for others.

Try a white, red, yellow over this coaxial cable try a short capture and see.

cd

The controlling factors are:

The Source itself

The Capture quality setting you choose

The Output quality you choose.

A VHS tape is only so good but that is out of our control. the shorter the cableing the lower the losses to line resistance.

The Capture quality you should be set at DV or DV HQ anything less and you are stuck.

The Output should be set to HQ, never Fit to Disc.

With that in mind, get a disc or two of RW media and try a short test cap & burn. I think you will see that your DVD will be of equal quality to your Source.

Media Import – Capture Settings:

post-39730-1234823181.jpg

This one is set to DV which results in an AVI file. (this screen cap is from Creator 2009)

The older tape may be OK. Also try the old trick of winding it to the end then rewind to the beginning. I have recovered a few "unusable" tapes with that trick!

I am trying to convert some older VHS tapes to DVD using Easy VHS to DVD and a Dell computer with XP. Everything seems to work fine but the resultant quality of the DVD is grainey and of less quality than the original VHS. The hook up is from a VCR via a composite video connector. The VCR does not have S-video capability.

The composite connector is about 6 feet long and I have also used the USB extension cable. Would this be too much cable?

I am a novice but would appreciate your thoughts as to why the quality is not what it should be. Thanks much

I removed the USB extension cable and tried the red, white & yellow cable. The result is much the same. Very grainey. The VHS tape appears to be better quality than the conversion to DVD. Anyone have any suggestions?

Archived