• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cd Spin Doctor 10 Is Junk

smfrank

Question

Doesn't save properly. Crashes. Doesn't send all the track info to iTunes. Sends double files (AIFF and whatever).

It USED to be a great program, now it's practically useless.

I just spent 3 hours recording one 39 minute LP.

I am sooooo glad I paid to upgrade.

Roxio, you should be ashamed.

15 answers to this question

It has a lot of problems, that's for sure. But it isn't junk because once you learn how to avoid the mine field it does okay. I'm confident that Roxio and Deepsea Software are working on an update. But I also believe they released this too soon.

I don't believe It says mine field included at least on version 7 and 8 it does not because I still have both boxes.I am waiting for them to fix Cd Spin Doctor in 7 and 8. Why would I buy 8 if I was not gassed with 7? Because 8 has normalization plus some other stuff that actually works and I only paid 20$ for it .I knew when I bough eight, nine was on its way so I came here to see what worked in 8 and what did not. Ver 10 does not have any thing I need nor what,well maybe the finger printing of music files which is part of CD Spin Doc.

where am I going with this? Spin Doc has never work for me and a lot of others as you can see from posts on this site.I don't think it is right that once I open the box I am out the money I paid, from what I have read just try to get refund from any software company. Ever wonder why Roixo does not give a downloadable 30 day FREE trial ? I believe one of the few companies that does not.Bottom line I will never buy the curet ver. of Roixo any thing and spend no more than 20$ for the full suite

Now to the help part of this post I have used Peak LE 5 and have converted over 70 albums with no crashes learning curve is is steep and the program is expensive.Tryed Audacity, at the time it was new for Mac and did not work well it is free, and buy now updated and well worth a try http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ . I all so have Audio Hijack Pro and Fission which works well.I know you paid money for Spin Doc and you would like it to work but odds are for you it wont just go to some thing else,for me it is not worth the aggravation.

What I do to tag songs is to record both sides of the album cut into tracks burn an image mount it with Roixo and 97% of the time iTunes does all the work

I have been having a duplicate copy of each tune copied to Itunes one to the playlist CD Spin Doctor and another to the library. I have submitted a ticked to support and after doing a clean install about 7 times I was finally directed to down load a new update to CD Spin Doctor. After applying it to the Toast folder in Applications. I am still getting the same results. I don't know what to do next.

any suggestions.

Dan

I have been having a duplicate copy of each tune copied to Itunes one to the playlist CD Spin Doctor and another to the library. I have submitted a ticked to support and after doing a clean install about 7 times I was finally directed to down load a new update to CD Spin Doctor. After applying it to the Toast folder in Applications. I am still getting the same results. I don't know what to do next.

any suggestions.

Dan

It's a bug. You can't prevent it. One of the copies is AIFF and the other is whatever format you selected to send to iTunes. You might try either sending to Toast's Convert window and using Toast to send to iTunes, or save to the desktop or some other location and manually drag the tracks to iTunes.

It's a bug. You can't prevent it. One of the copies is AIFF and the other is whatever format you selected to send to iTunes. You might try either sending to Toast's Convert window and using Toast to send to iTunes, or save to the desktop or some other location and manually drag the tracks to iTunes.

That being the case I will stop trying to use it BUT why would the support guys keep sending me replies that I should do a clean install, and then the had me update CD Spin Doctor and I still have a ticket open after almost 3 weeks.

Why not just tell me it is a bug, as you did, and spare me all the hassle.

Thanks

Dan

CD Spin Doctor does not work.

Roxio does not respond to requests for help, he shuts the tickets.

The export in iTunes no longer works.

In France they are also tired.

But worse is the silence of Roxio.

I understand you are in France. I don't know how much I can help but if you try to explain what you want Spin Doctor to do and what is not working, maybe I can help. It does work for me.

That being the case I will stop trying to use it BUT why would the support guys keep sending me replies that I should do a clean install, and then the had me update CD Spin Doctor and I still have a ticket open after almost 3 weeks.

Why not just tell me it is a bug, as you did, and spare me all the hassle.

Thanks

Dan

Roxio rarely acknowledges bugs. I've suggested many times for them to publish a known issues list. I'm sure their support people would appreciate it, too.

It has a lot of problems, that's for sure. But it isn't junk because once you learn how to avoid the mine field it does okay. I'm confident that Roxio and Deepsea Software are working on an update. But I also believe they released this too soon.

As for saving files my trick is to create one track and then click save. What happens for me is that the track disappears but the file is now saved in the name I've given it. From this point the track markings work and can be saved and reopened.

As for the double files in iTunes, save the tracks to the desktop or export to Toast's Convert window and send to iTunes from there.

I don't want to sound redundant relative to all the other postings about how CD Spin Doctor is full of bugs, but maybe it will make me feel better sharing my pain with others.

I completed the uninstall process as directed. I then reloaded Toast 10 and also went out to the Roxio site and downloaded CD Spin Doctor 6.0.1. I tried converting 5 songs from a record and was successful, including being able to save the aiff file. That was an improvement over how it behaved before.

However, I could not get the Gracenote ID function to work, even though I checked their database and they do have the album that I converted in their database. I also could not get the "Use As Defaults" button to do anything. My only recourse was to re-type all the album data for each song. When I export songs to iTunes it still exports two versions of each song, one aiff and one m4a file format. Finally, when I went to save the file after making tag changes, CD Spin Doctor crashed. How many more problems can you have with one piece of software?

At this point, I have spent $100 for a piece of software that is full of bugs and I really want them fixed. Has anyone gotten any satisfaction from Roxio?

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm new to this iMac and this software, so maybe my frustration is understandable as someone who is not up on the latest technology. But it really seems ridiculous to me that Roxio doesn't even include a manual of some kind with this software. How the hell are you supposed to learn how to use it? And then they make you pay for support...what nerve!

Using Jim Heid's iLife manual, I managed to record one LP track (when I typed in "Recording LPs" in the Help menu, I got no hits... incredible!). Then when I tried to play it back to check the quality, I get that spinning rainbow thing and it won't shut off no matter what. Then I have to do a force quit and start all over.

Jim, why did you recommend this shitty software? I thought you were the iLife guru, but now I'll think twice before taking your recommendations.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm new to this iMac and this software, so maybe my frustration is understandable as someone who is not up on the latest technology. But it really seems ridiculous to me that Roxio doesn't even include a manual of some kind with this software. How the hell are you supposed to learn how to use it? And then they make you pay for support...what nerve!

Using Jim Heid's iLife manual, I managed to record one LP track (when I typed in "Recording LPs" in the Help menu, I got no hits... incredible!). Then when I tried to play it back to check the quality, I get that spinning rainbow thing and it won't shut off no matter what. Then I have to do a force quit and start all over.

Jim, why did you recommend this shitty software? I thought you were the iLife guru, but now I'll think twice before taking your recommendations.

Don't blame Jim. I'm sure he wasn't using the current version when he wrote that recommendation. It will be fixed.

The lack of a manual is another pain and there hasn't been one for at least the past several versions. Roxio published this CD Spin Doctor Guide which refers to version 5 bundled with Toast 9. Version 6 is much the same except for the non-function quick-recording button.

OK, tsantee, I complained to their email support and they got to me quickly with an update (I had version 3, the new version is 6.0.1). The Roxio Gods say there is a user's manual, so although I haven't been able to access it thus far, I'll give it another try. I had hoped I would have a fair share of work done by now, but no recourse but to reboot and see what happens. Since I just downloaded the OSX upgrade (10.5.6) that might be part of the problem.

OK, tsantee, I complained to their email support and they got to me quickly with an update (I had version 3, the new version is 6.0.1). The Roxio Gods say there is a user's manual, so although I haven't been able to access it thus far, I'll give it another try. I had hoped I would have a fair share of work done by now, but no recourse but to reboot and see what happens. Since I just downloaded the OSX upgrade (10.5.6) that might be part of the problem.

Version 6.0.1 is included in the Toast 10 purchase download. I think version 6.0.0 may be in the boxed version which is why the 6.0.1 version is available for download as an update. If you were trying to use version 3 then I have great sympathy for you.

Roxio support must be thinking of the Toast User Guide. There is no manual for Spin Doctor that I've seen. However, its recording wizard gives step by step instructions until you complete the recording.

Archived