• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What Is Dao?

Ron Forte

Question

Hi, looks like I've found a great product here, altough I've got 2 major concerns:

First, attempting to open the main Creator menu results in the standard "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I can, however, open the various applications, such as Video Wave, but when I do, a dialog opens claiming "please wait while Windows configures DAO". It claims to be "gathering required information" and then I recieve error 1706 "windows installer cannot continue." If I cancel out of the DAO installation, the program appears to open and operate fine, although periodically, the DAO tries to install again, and I must again cancel out of it. THis makes no sense to me.

I am running Win XP SP 2, which should be fairly standard.

Please help, Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hi, looks like I've found a great product here, altough I've got 2 major concerns:

First, attempting to open the main Creator menu results in the standard "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I can, however, open the various applications, such as Video Wave, but when I do, a dialog opens claiming "please wait while Windows configures DAO". It claims to be "gathering required information" and then I recieve error 1706 "windows installer cannot continue." If I cancel out of the DAO installation, the program appears to open and operate fine, although periodically, the DAO tries to install again, and I must again cancel out of it. THis makes no sense to me.

I am running Win XP SP 2, which should be fairly standard.

Please help, Thanks!

Give this a try >>>>>>>>>>>>

Re-register the DAO.msi file:

In Windows, go to Start > Run and type in CMD; press [Enter]. In the MS DOS command line window, enter the following:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll" [Press Enter]. Note the spaces.

NOTE: you should receive a pop-up indicating that the DLL has been unregistered.

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll" [Press Enter]. Remember to note the spaces.

NOTE: you should receive a pop-up indicating that the DLL has been re-registered.

Root Cause:

For an unknown reason, the DAO.msi installation file becomes unregistered, and when the installation process requires the use of this file, it is unable to locate it. Using the command line to unregister and re-register the file allows the *.msi to be located by the installation process.

There is a possibility that this error is related to video cards manufactured by ATI.

Archived