• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Creator De - Dell - Vista

Ed Robinson

Question

I recently had to re-install windows due to some corrupted files. In doing this through the use of the restore partition on my hard drive, everything was wiped clean. I had backed up the C: drive using the Windows Vista backup utility which does not back up executable files. In trying to reload the copy of Roxio DE that came with the computer, I get the registration screen, then the message that this is already registered, but cannot open the programs. I uninstalled all of the Roxio files because the install disk wouldn't overwrite files and have been watching the install progress about 1/8 of the way for over an hour. When I look at the directory with Windows Explorer there are new folders and when I check properties there are 205 mb of files but that hasn't changed in over 1 hour. I selected the full install. My version of Vista Home Premium is patched to current. I have seen where others have had the same problem. Is there an answer?

Thanks, Ed

OK. I went back and cancelled the install. I then checked custom install and checked all of the boxes. I ran like a champ. I don't know what the problem was with the full install, but it looks like it may work now.

And so the story continues...

Even though the program installed, and then I got an incompatible driver notice, and I went on the web and downloaded the fix. I figured, why screw around with software that was out of date and no upgrades available. So I went to Staples and bought a new package "Easy CD and DVD Burnibg". When I tried to install it, I got the message that there was an earlier version on the computer,it had to be removed and install would do it for me. Fine! I waited for over an hour and nothing happened except the green bar inched part way across the screen and never removed anything so I aborted and tried again with the same result. Finally I aborted and went to control panel and uninstalled all of the components manully. I then tried to install the new package but got a message that a program was already installing and I would have to wait for that to finish. I rebooted to try to abort whatever it thought was installing whatever. I have been at this since 3:00 and it is now 7:00. I am sorry I ever tried to use this software. I have owned PCs and use them at work since 1988. I am the IT support at the division of the company I work for. I am Director of Purchasing, I am not an idiot. This software sucks. It may work like a dream when it finally gets installed but you have sucked up half my day off to no effect.

I still can't complete the install because it thinks the old program is still here and there is nothing else I can remove. I don't know how to get to the install program to kill it. Can someone either suggest how to get the installation finished or recommend another program that has a decent install proceedure?

9 answers to this question

Thanks Mohan! I think I'll try the Roxio clean install directions for Vista first, again thanks for the info on checking the forum.

Now what ???????????????

Message: The certificate file is issing or corrupted, please reinstall.

What is it, where is it and how do I reinstall it. I did the clean install and everything seemed to work beautifully.

Hi! Sorry about that, Ed. I checked the forum ( which you must have too!), and I find this problem repeated there a few times, but no solution reported. As I understand it, the Clean Install instructions remove all traces of previous installations of Roxio/Sonic, so the the next install presumes a virgin install. The Windows Installer Cleanup utility should remove all pending traces of installation instructions.

I know I sound like TechSupport (of any IT vendor!), but could you try both?

Can anyone in this forum advise?

Mohan :mellow:

The corollary of course is the McAfee have erred in not providing a switch to temporarily disable the app.

Just about every software package going says to shut down running apps before installing and almost every other anti-virus program will let you do that.

Apparently the problem, for me at any rate, was in shutting of McAfee as that was the only change I made in how I did this the second time. There is no on off switch for McAfee but what I did after the clean boot, was to open task manager and stop the process for McAfee. This apparently allowed the install to complete normally. Then after going on linr to download the patch and install it and reboot again, Roxio appears to be behaving as it is supposed to.

Thanks for your help with this. Trust me my next software won't be anything Sonic.

Thanks, Ed

Apparently the problem, for me at any rate, was in shutting of McAfee as that was the only change I made in how I did this the second time. There is no on off switch for McAfee but what I did after the clean boot, was to open task manager and stop the process for McAfee. This apparently allowed the install to complete normally. Then after going on linr to download the patch and install it and reboot again, Roxio appears to be behaving as it is supposed to.

Thanks for your help with this. Trust me my next software won't be anything Sonic.

Thanks, Ed

Ed

The instructions in the Clean install instructions posted in this forum clearly state in Step 1 "Disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG," and just further on "Note: Some anti virus/spyware programs may not be disabled using the steps listed above. You may need to check with your anti virus/spyware vendor on how to temporarily disable them".

Glad you got it working.

Ed

The instructions in the Clean install instructions posted in this forum clearly state in Step 1 "Disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG," and just further on "Note: Some anti virus/spyware programs may not be disabled using the steps listed above. You may need to check with your anti virus/spyware vendor on how to temporarily disable them".

Glad you got it working.

That is interesting. I wonder what it is that AntiVirus programs do to block the un-install steps that are required after a re-boot. I did not know anti-virus services are disabled by stopping start-up applications. I use AVG, and I did not do anything to stop it. My Creator DE re-installed ok: but possibly my case was simpler.

Any advice?

Mohan

McAfee was not stopped by disabling the start up programs. I had to open Task Manager and under the process tab I had to stop McAfee. There is no place in the program screens that allows you to stop the program.

The disturbing part is that I have loaded many programs without having to do this. What caused this particular program to fail to complete the install is anybody's guess. My assumption is that they have some really good programmers working on their graphics programs but failed to hire one for their install process.

Ed

Thanks Mohan! I think I'll try the Roxio clean install directions for Vista first, again thanks for the info on checking the forum.

Now what ???????????????

Message: The certificate file is issing or corrupted, please reinstall.

What is it, where is it and how do I reinstall it. I did the clean install and everything seemed to work beautifully.

As you have a Dell OEM (modified) version - I doubt if anyone here would know why either :lol:

I had the same type of problem yesterday.

To clean dirty and aborted installations, you could download and install the 'Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Mohan

I recently had to re-install windows due to some corrupted files. In doing this through the use of the restore partition on my hard drive, everything was wiped clean. I had backed up the C: drive using the Windows Vista backup utility which does not back up executable files. In trying to reload the copy of Roxio DE that came with the computer, I get the registration screen, then the message that this is already registered, but cannot open the programs. I uninstalled all of the Roxio files because the install disk wouldn't overwrite files and have been watching the install progress about 1/8 of the way for over an hour. When I look at the directory with Windows Explorer there are new folders and when I check properties there are 205 mb of files but that hasn't changed in over 1 hour. I selected the full install. My version of Vista Home Premium is patched to current. I have seen where others have had the same problem. Is there an answer?

Thanks, Ed

OK. I went back and cancelled the install. I then checked custom install and checked all of the boxes. I ran like a champ. I don't know what the problem was with the full install, but it looks like it may work now.

And so the story continues...

Even though the program installed, and then I got an incompatible driver notice, and I went on the web and downloaded the fix. I figured, why screw around with software that was out of date and no upgrades available. So I went to Staples and bought a new package "Easy CD and DVD Burnibg". When I tried to install it, I got the message that there was an earlier version on the computer,it had to be removed and install would do it for me. Fine! I waited for over an hour and nothing happened except the green bar inched part way across the screen and never removed anything so I aborted and tried again with the same result. Finally I aborted and went to control panel and uninstalled all of the components manully. I then tried to install the new package but got a message that a program was already installing and I would have to wait for that to finish. I rebooted to try to abort whatever it thought was installing whatever. I have been at this since 3:00 and it is now 7:00. I am sorry I ever tried to use this software. I have owned PCs and use them at work since 1988. I am the IT support at the division of the company I work for. I am Director of Purchasing, I am not an idiot. This software sucks. It may work like a dream when it finally gets installed but you have sucked up half my day off to no effect.

I still can't complete the install because it thinks the old program is still here and there is nothing else I can remove. I don't know how to get to the install program to kill it. Can someone either suggest how to get the installation finished or recommend another program that has a decent install proceedure?

I had the same type of problem yesterday.

To clean dirty and aborted installations, you could download and install the 'Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

The forum also has a detailed guide to doing a clean re-install.

Mohan

Archived