• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

robingo88

Streamer Wants To "re-convert" My Iphone .mp4 Videos?

Question

hi... i'm new to this, so apologies if its been addressed before...

i'm trying to figure out how to add videos to my streamer library without having Streamer reconvert them?

these videos are already in iPhone mp4 format (most converted using VisualHub and the iPhone setting)

these videos play great within iTunes and transfer just fine from iTunes to my iPhone (when i sync) without any reconversion.

however, when i try to drag the exact same videos into the Streamer window, it insists on reconverting them using toast (and taking up a ton of extra room)

i did try to rename a test video to .m4v, but this didn't help...

is there some kind of trick or some parameters for conversion so i don't have to reconvert all of my videos (or convert them twice?)

many thanks!

robin

9 answers to this question

According to the PDF Help file, Streamer shouldn't have to re-encode anything in this case.

I tried importing similar movies myself and the app doesn't seem to re-encode anything, but the movies never appeared in the main interface.

The movie files are copied in the proper Streamer folder, but the app behaves as if nothing had been imported at all.

So far I haven't been able to get it to work at all…

Maybe one of these Streamer tutorials from Toast 9 can help:

Take your shows on the road with Toast.

Stream video from your Mac to your iPhone.

Thanks. I read the Tutorial. I also read the Help files adn all other posts on the subject I could find and couldn't find what I was doing wrong.

The first tutorial emphasizes transcoding (which sholdn't be required for iPhone-ready movies) and the second one is on Streamer iitself. I never even get the imported movie to show up in the main UI listing.

Thanks. I read the Tutorial. I also read the Help files adn all other posts on the subject I could find and couldn't find what I was doing wrong.

The first tutorial emphasizes transcoding (which sholdn't be required for iPhone-ready movies) and the second one is on Streamer iitself. I never even get the imported movie to show up in the main UI listing.

The resolution of the low-quality Streamer video must be 320x180 and the medium quality 480x360. If it is a different resolution then Streamer rescales it. There is a delay in the video appearing in Streamer while the rescaling is being completed. You can see that something is happening by looking in the Streamer Videos folder (by default in your Documents folder). If you are using an application other than Toast to convert to the iPhone format then choose one of the above resolutions and set Streamer's preferences to either Low or medium quality, as appropriate.

The resolution of the low-quality Streamer video must be 320x180 and the medium quality 480x360. If it is a different resolution then Streamer rescales it. There is a delay in the video appearing in Streamer while the rescaling is being completed. You can see that something is happening by looking in the Streamer Videos folder (by default in your Documents folder). If you are using an application other than Toast to convert to the iPhone format then choose one of the above resolutions and set Streamer's preferences to either Low or medium quality, as appropriate.

Streamer is set on “High” for me and the imported .m4v movie (transcoded through Handbrake) is in 480x256 (which shouldn't require re-encoding).

Importing the movie triggers a progress bar, but once it is done, there is nothing in the main UI, and the application takes up lose to no CPU (which makes me doub it is re-encoding anything).

As I previously mentioned, the file does get copied to the Streamer folder, but that's about it. There is no discernable sign of activity once the movie is imported.

I can confirm that it's not just the main UI not displaying the movie by checking the Streamer URL which indeed shows the list as blank,

There is nothing wrong with the movie itself. I can play it on my Mac and on my iPod Touch BTW.

I'm wondering whether my problem and Robingo88's couldn't be related: Streamer tries to reconvert these movies (even though it shouldn't) and in my case, it simply fails to launch Toast to do so. Is it what it's supposed to do to convert the movies?

If I launch Toast first, then import the movie in Streamer, nothing really happens in Toast either.

(Later) Well I can see that if I import a movie that is not in a compatible format, the behavior is quite different: Streamer doesn't display anything at first (no import progress bar), but Toast is triggered and starts converting the file. Clearly not the same thing. It does look like there is a problem with files that are already in the proper format and should not require re-encoding.

The high quality setting also is 480x360 so if your source isn't that size then it must be rescaled (not necessarily re-encoded) in order to meet Streamer's specs. The Medium quality is more compressed than the high quality.

Streamer is inflexible about the resolution: it must be either 480x360 or 320x180.

The high quality setting also is 480x360 so if your source isn't that size then it must be rescaled (not necessarily re-encoded) in order to meet Streamer's specs. The Medium quality is more compressed than the high quality.

Streamer is inflexible about the resolution: it must be either 480x360 or 320x180.

I see. It's a bit sad since the iPhone/iPod Touch doesn't require it. It's happy with 480x<360 and adds the black bars automatically.

Regardless, in my case at least, no rescaling seems to be taking place :-\

Thanks for your persistance in trying to assist me with this issue though,

Edited by cortig

Its not just about the scaling. Its also about the data rate of the movie.

The explanation of the profiles is at Streamer Bit Rate Explanation. We don't just stream any iPhone compatible file. The data rate plays a big part as well. Not everyone has a Fios connection to stream 1mbps or higher from their home.

Edited by SonicScott

Its not just about the scaling. Its also about the data rate of the movie.

The explanation of the profiles is at Streamer Bit Rate Explanation. We don't just stream any iPhone compatible file. The data rate plays a big part as well. Not everyone has a Fios connection to stream 1mbps or higher from their home.

Thanks for the clarification.

It still doesn't explain why the conversion process doesn't take place for me, but it's a new lead. I'll probably try re-encoding using lower bitrates.