• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Play Back

skrface421

Question

7 answers to this question

VIDEO_TS folder and H.265 but it does not make a diffrence what file format the only choice is 2.0

Rodney

Okay. I only know that Toast will keep the 5.1 audio when it is not re-encoding the MPEG video. Since it is re-encoding the video to a different format it apparently converts the audio as well. If you extract the MPEG from the VIDEO_TS by accessing it through the Media Browser you'll have a muxed MPEG in the Roxio Converted Items folder that contains the 5.1 audio tracks. Are you aware of any applications that convert MPEGs with 5.1 audio to other formats with 5.1 audio? I'm asking because this is an area where I'd like to learn something new.

Thanks for the reply

what I am doing is puting them on a nas (network atached storeage) and streaming to the Mac Mini. Roxio will give the option of 5.1on DVD but not in export. Going to see if the Mac will play a Roxio image DVD. Itunes dose with cd images ( converted from vinly).The reason for going to h.264 was for smaller file sizes. Good reson to buy a Bufflow tarabite Station bilt in gigabite ethernet

Rodney

Roxio will give the option of 5.1 on DVD-Video but not in "export". Going to see if the Mac will play a Roxio image DVD. iTunes does with cd images - converted from vinly.The reason for going to h.264 was for smaller file sizes.

I don't do a lot of exporting, mainly just DVD-Video burns. I was just looking through the settings for export, and you are right about no DD5.1 or other 5.1 audio support. Looks like it is just stereo or mono settings for all the codecs.

By the way, I play my Roxio images all the time using Apple's "DVD Player". However, I must mount the image first. It is not able to read the .TOAST image without mounting. I do not have "Front Row"; so I have no knowledge on that.

A program that I love and use quite often is ffmpegX. It gives you a pluthera of encoding options beyond Toast 7. For me this is a much better program for doing encoding with no plans of migration to DVD-Video. It's not the easiest program to use, and I had a nice little learning curve to get used to it. It only costs $15, and you can use it free to determine if it suits your needs. I realize there are a slew of other programs that do encoding as well, but I have stuck with this one since I have had good experiences. It supports 5.1 audio output.

-Mike

I have Toast 7 and all export options will not let me export in 5.1 only copy to dvd does. Is is there any way around this?Allso will popcorn 2 export in 5.1(for tv, 57 inch)if not what does?

Rodney

Pease explain this a little more. What kind of file are you starting with? Is this an MPEG file or from a VIDEO_TS folder? What are you trying to export it to? Toast retains the 5.1 audio when authoring and burning a video DVD as long as it doesn't need to be re-encoded.

I allso need to learn I had a Roku all I had to do was point it to a video_TS File even on nas and it would play it so I just though some thing 3 years newer would do it better ( Mac Mini) I was wrong here to learn not pixx people off ok.Are VOB. files MPEG if not witch ons are

eather way thanks forr the help Rodney

Since it is re-encoding the video to a different format it apparently converts the audio as well.

This is something that I have found to be hit or miss. Usually when I force reencoding of video to "ALWAYS", then the audio also gets re-encoded. However, when I set the force video reencoding to "AUTOMATIC", then the audio normally will pass through (even 5.1 audio), as long as I have the audio section set to PCM or Auto Dolby Digital. However, this might not be a solution for you if you must always force video reencoding. There are times I don't have any choice but to use this option, and of course I have found this to effect the audio.

What I do in these cases is just split up my video files on separate DVDs. I know its not economical, but with Toast 7, I don't always have the luxury of being economical and keeping the highest quality possible.

I'm hoping that a later update to Toast will allow the audio re-encoding (including pass-through options) to be completely isolated from the video reencoding selections.

-Mike

PS - But as Tsantee states, if you are going to a completely different format, then the audio is going to be re-encoded as well. But, the VIDEO_TS folder should still be able to keep the original audio format.

Archived