Multiple errors trying to record

I have been trying to resolve this problem for weeks with no result. When ever I try to record a CD I get multiple errors and the recording stops. It happens with Calassic Creator and Audio Central and is repetable on another machine. I have tried all the the things the the general help file tells me to do and still I get the same error messages. I have burned many CDs over the years and this has just started happening in the last few months.

The errors I get the most are

#1 E80041882 disc error-power calibration area error [03/73/03]

#2 E80041899 write erros-buffer underrun occured- [06/C5/00]

#3 E80041925 track writer error- command retry failed [T7118]

#4 E80004005 unspecified error

I'm using Windows XP Home SP2 2.4 ghz Pentium 512 RAM, Eazy CD and DVD Creator ver 6, I have all the updates installed. The other machine is the same configuration as above but it has been used less and I get the same results. Sometime the erros are different but always get get the Buffer Underrun error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software but that hasn't help either. I had originally thought my burner was toast but when it happened on the other maching with the same confifuration and equipment Im not so sure.

If anyone can help that wouod be great I don't want to buy a new burner only to find that's not the problem.

Thanks

Hank

I have been trying to resolve this problem for weeks with no result. When ever I try to record a CD I get multiple errors and the recording stops. It happens with Calassic Creator and Audio Central and is repetable on another machine. I have tried all the the things the the general help file tells me to do and still I get the same error messages. I have burned many CDs over the years and this has just started happening in the last few months.

I'm using Windows XP Home SP2 2.4 ghz Pentium 512 RAM, Eazy CD and DVD Creator ver 6, I have all the updates installed. The other machine is the same configuration as above but it has been used less and I get the same results. Sometime the erros are different but always get get the Buffer Underrun error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software but that hasn't help either. I had originally thought my burner was toast but when it happened on the other maching with the same confifuration and equipment Im not so sure.

If anyone can help that wouod be great I don't want to buy a new burner only to find that's not the problem.

Thanks

Hank

Have you tried a lens cleaner on both burners, its a long shot.

Have you tried a lens cleaner on both burners, its a long shot.

Oddly enough I have tried the lens cleaner and saddly it had no effect. I realyl don't won't want to buy another burner if i don't have too. The fact that my other machine is having the same issues tells me that there is more to it than hardware, although stranger things have happened LOL.......... thanks for your suggestion though........

Usually those errors point at a dirty lens or a failing drive.It would be strange for both drives to have them at the same time but like you said stranger things have happened.

One other thing you might try is slowing down the write speed.The Buffer Underrun is because the drive isn't being fed info fast enough to keep up with the write and the buffer is running out of info.

Thanks

Hank

Is this a new batch of discs you recently started using? Even if they're the same brand and part number you've used in the past, they're likely not made in the same factory as the previous batch, and they're certainly not the same lot. Since it's happening on both machines, I'm guessing the common denominator is the blanks you're using, and they could be a problem, so, pick up a different brand, lot, spindle and see if that makes any difference.

Also, you mention the problem with making Audio CDs. Do you get the same problem making Data CDs, or have you only made Audio CDs?

Next question, what is the source of your audio material, other CDs? .MP3 files you made? .MP3 files you obtained elsewhere? Purchased, downloaded audio tracks?

Let us know how you make out.

Is this a new batch of discs you recently started using? Even if they're the same brand and part number you've used in the past, they're likely not made in the same factory as the previous batch, and they're certainly not the same lot. Since it's happening on both machines, I'm guessing the common denominator is the blanks you're using, and they could be a problem, so, pick up a different brand, lot, spindle and see if that makes any difference.

Also, you mention the problem with making Audio CDs. Do you get the same problem making Data CDs, or have you only made Audio CDs?

Next question, what is the source of your audio material, other CDs? .MP3 files you made? .MP3 files you obtained elsewhere? Purchased, downloaded audio tracks?

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for all your suggestions I have tried the lens cleaner but I didn’t do it for very long, I wasn’t sure what kind of damage it might do to the laser so I may try that again. I have had limited success with the slower speeds but even that’s not helping anymore. As far as the media I have gotten another brand recently thinking that was my problem and have had the same results. The issue was intermittent but it seems to have moved onto always. I have made data CDs but not as often as the audio disks and most of them are recorded (or attempting to record) from my hard drive. I had some success copying an audio disk from another one about a week ago. The other machine is my wife’s and she rarely uses the burner so that’s why I was reluctant to buy a new burner. But I will try all the things you guys have suggested and then I will try to make data CDs and I’ve got enough data to put on the DVD so I’ll that too.

Thanks again,

Hank

Thanks for all your suggestions I have tried the lens cleaner but I didn’t do it for very long, I wasn’t sure what kind of damage it might do to the laser so I may try that again. I have had limited success with the slower speeds but even that’s not helping anymore. As far as the media I have gotten another brand recently thinking that was my problem and have had the same results. The issue was intermittent but it seems to have moved onto always. I have made data CDs but not as often as the audio disks and most of them are recorded (or attempting to record) from my hard drive. I had some success copying an audio disk from another one about a week ago. The other machine is my wife’s and she rarely uses the burner so that’s why I was reluctant to buy a new burner. But I will try all the things you guys have suggested and then I will try to make data CDs and I’ve got enough data to put on the DVD so I’ll that too.

Thanks again,

Hank

A lens cleaner disc - at least the one I have - very specificly says to play tracks 1 and 3 (the brushes being on track 2) so it can get at the lens from the correct angles.

If that's not enough to do the job, then the problem isn't likely to be dust/grime on the lens the laser shines thru. It doesn't come near the laser, so I don't know how you think it can damage the laser.

Lynn

Thanks again,

Hank

Okay... we're still getting new information here. You suggest that the source for your music is other CD's. Please tell us if you have a second drive that you are copying from, or if you only have the one CD-Writer which is first reading the source CD and then writing the destination disc. Also, back to my previous question, are any of the CDs you're writing using compressed files such as .MP3 or purchased .WMA tracks as the source?

The fact that the problem was intermittent but has gotten worse suggests a drive failure (or two, in your case). But if you're copying from a second drive, part of the problem could be the other drive. To eliminate that possibility, try extracting the tracks from the source CD to your HD as .WAV files first. Then use the .WAV files as the source for your Audio CD. Let us know if that makes a difference.

As for the Data disc, you suggest writing a DVD... that won't help us solve your problem. You're having problems writing to CD-R media for Audio CDs, so we need you to stick with CD-R media, not wander off to writing DVDR media. That only adds another variable into the problem, which we won't help. Use the same type if disc you're using for your Audio CDs, even if it only holds 700MB, even if you wind up throwing it away. Let us know if the Data CD works too.

As for the Data disc, you suggest writing a DVD... that won't help us solve your problem. You're having problems writing to CD-R media for Audio CDs, so we need you to stick with CD-R media, not wander off to writing DVDR media. That only adds another variable into the problem, which we won't help. Use the same type if disc you're using for your Audio CDs, even if it only holds 700MB, even if you wind up throwing it away. Let us know if the Data CD works too.

Because, an entirely different setup writes the different sized spiral and different sized pits & lands for DVD than for CD. And the question has to do with the CD setup.

Like checkers and chess are played on the same board, but the moves are entirely different.

Lynn

Because, an entirely different setup writes the different sized spiral and different sized pits & lands for DVD than for CD. And the question has to do with the CD setup.

Like checkers and chess are played on the same board, but the moves are entirely different.

Lynn

I'm pretty sure it's a different laser too.

Definitely.

Brendon said as much when explaining to someone that the fact a drive could read DVDs had no bearing on the fact it no longer could read CDs.

Lynn

Wow reading the posts I see I have asked in the right place.... ok, here’s the deal so far..... I have a CD ROM drive and a CD/DVD combo burner (two separate drives) and most of the audio files are stored on my hard drive and that’s where I normally record from. Occasionally I make a copy of a CD but mostly record separate tracks. I stopped and picked up a new lens cleaner and started all over again. I was able to copy over 2 gb of data successfully to an Imation brand DVD. But after reading the rest of the posts I see that that was a wasted effort. Anyway I moved on to a newer Memorex CD and it failed with the same errors as above. Then I tried to copy data to a different and older batch of Memorex CD it almost made it all the way (99%) until I got a Fixation error. Then I closed all programs except Roxio and tried to record music to a CD/RW with success. Then I tried to record to the same older batch of Memorex disk and I had success again YAY. All the attempts were made at the lowest record speed. I would have picked up some Imation disks but Wal Mart didn’t have any. At any rate it appears that I may have a media problem. It’s just that I was having trouble when I got to the bottom of the Imation spindle and I thought everything was going south, so maybe there was just a few bad disks in that spindle. When I can I’ll get a new batch of Imation disks and try again.

When I try again I’ll report back.....

Thanks for all your help and suggestions you have all made this experience enjoyable (too emotional? LOL)

Hank

Anyway I moved on to a newer Memorex CD and it failed with the same errors as above. Then I tried to copy data to a different and older batch of Memorex CD it almost made it all the way (99%) until I got a Fixation error.

Then I closed all programs except Roxio and tried to record music to a CD/RW with success.

Hank

I notice a couple points -

- I've seen more problems reported with Memorex brand than all other brands put togethr.

- CD-R is created by a laser "cooking" a dye. CD-RW is created by re-crystalizing an aluminum alloy at a lower temperature. So the fact you can burn a CD-RW does nothing to prove the drive isn't getting read for its trip to that great Recycling Bin in the sky.

- Most burners do their best work toward the middle of the burning range. Some newer burners have problems at the bottom end.

- Breaking a long chunk of text into paragraphs makes it easier to read.

Lynn

I notice a couple points -

- I've seen more problems reported with Memorex brand than all other brands put togethr.

- CD-R is created by a laser "cooking" a dye. CD-RW is created by re-crystalizing an aluminum alloy at a lower temperature. So the fact you can burn a CD-RW does nothing to prove the drive isn't getting read for its trip to that great Recycling Bin in the sky.

- Most burners do their best work toward the middle of the burning range. Some newer burners have problems at the bottom end.

- Breaking a long chunk of text into paragraphs makes it easier to read.

Lynn

Well I can see I shouldn't uncross my fingers just yet..... But thanks for the info on how the different types of disks are written to, facinating......

Hank

Well I can see I shouldn't uncross my fingers just yet..... But thanks for the info on how the different types of disks are written to, facinating......

Hank

Commercially pressed CDs have the pits and lands (equivilent of the magnetic 0's and 1's) physically presssed into the metal.

You might find the Byers Gude of interest -

http://www.clir.org/PUBS/reports/pub121/contents.html

(I find it by putting "Byers Guide CD" - without the quotes - into google.)

Lynn

A lens cleaner disc - at least the one I have - very specificly says to play tracks 1 and 3 (the brushes being on track 2) so it can get at the lens from the correct angles.

Under no circumstances is the use of a CD Cleaning Disc recommended.

cdanteek

Under no circumstances is the use of a CD Cleaning Disc recommended.

cdanteek

What do you mean by "CD Cleaning Disc" - something to clean the CDs?

Because Dave and Brendon and Rich have repeatedly told me to use a lens clseaning CD, and I finally tried it, and it works. I would not, like some I've heard, suggest doing it weekly, but when needed - which is fairly infrequently.

The lens the laser shines thru is facing upward, and dust and grime accumulate on it over time, making it harder for the laser to shine thru it and burn or read optical discs (CDs, DVDs). Running the brushes as directed in the lens cleaner instructions cleans that off.

If its a choice of that or a new burner, a lens cleaning CD is a lot cheaper - and just may work.

Lynn

What do you mean by "CD Cleaning Disc" - something to clean the CDs?

Because Dave and Brendon and Rich have repeatedly told me to use a lens clseaning CD, and I finally tried it, and it works. I would not, like some I've heard, suggest doing it weekly, but when needed - which is fairly infrequently.

The lens the laser shines thru is facing upward, and dust and grime accumulate on it over time, making it harder for the laser to shine thru it and burn or read optical discs (CDs, DVDs). Running the brushes as directed in the lens cleaner instructions cleans that off.

If its a choice of that or a new burner, a lens cleaning CD is a lot cheaper - and just may work.

Lynn

Yep... agreed. It's not the first thing I suggest, and it's possible they can put the laser out of alignment, but, as you well stated Lynn, if it's the drive won't do anything else, running the lens cleaner can be a lot cheaper than a new drive.

OK I finally got to the store and got a different brand of CDs (Verbatim)... the recording went through without any errors or problems at the highest speed (24X). A word to the wise never ever under any circumstance by Memorex CDs they suck for air and should only be used as coasters.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice and information, I can't tell you how important in informative it was.

Hank

OK I finally got to the store and got a different brand of CDs (Verbatim)... the recording went through without any errors or problems at the highest speed (24X). A word to the wise never ever under any circumstance by Memorex CDs they suck for air and should only be used as coasters.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice and information, I can't tell you how important in informative it was.

Hank

If you'd said Memorex, we could've told you that.

There have been more complaints about Memorex than all other brands put together.

Memorex isn't just inexpensive, it's CHEAP.

Lynn

• 1 month later...

I have difficulty burning CDs using Roxio 6 and Pioneer DVD-109 DVD-RW (dual-layer). The DVD drive is about two years old and has not been used much (I am assuming it should not be too dirty).

The problem which I am describing later started out of the blue a few weeks ago.

Track-at-once option.

It works fine at speeds 16X to 32X. When I am using lower speeds, the program starts showing 0:00 (as time left to completion of the project) at the beginning of title 2. I am getting a Fixation error at the end of the session. I have tried multiple types of media - Sony, TDK, Dynex, Memorex.

I was able to burn the music to an Office Depot CD-RW and then finalized it without a problem.

Disc-at-once

I did get a TrackWriter Error using this option. I think it was at a 4x speed.

I have been able to burn DVDs on the same drive using CloneDVD.

I have reviewed everything suggested earlier in this forum and at the cdr-zone. I have checked DMA status on the drive and made sure my Windows 2000 and the DVD firmware are up to date. The problem is still there.

I am wondering why would the system that worked well for many months all of a sudden started giving me problems. Interestingly, I am having problems on lower speeds, but not on higher.

I have no idea what else to try. Please, advise.

Alexei

I have difficulty burning CDs using Roxio 6 and Pioneer DVD-109 DVD-RW (dual-layer). The DVD drive is about two years old and has not been used much (I am assuming it should not be too dirty).

The problem which I am describing later started out of the blue a few weeks ago.

Track-at-once option.

It works fine at speeds 16X to 32X. When I am using lower speeds, the program starts showing 0:00 (as time left to completion of the project) at the beginning of title 2. I am getting a Fixation error at the end of the session. I have tried multiple types of media - Sony, TDK, Dynex, Memorex.

I was able to burn the music to an Office Depot CD-RW and then finalized it without a problem.

Disc-at-once

I did get a TrackWriter Error using this option. I think it was at a 4x speed.

I have been able to burn DVDs on the same drive using CloneDVD.

I have reviewed everything suggested earlier in this forum and at the cdr-zone. I have checked DMA status on the drive and made sure my Windows 2000 and the DVD firmware are up to date. The problem is still there.

I am wondering why would the system that worked well for many months all of a sudden started giving me problems. Interestingly, I am having problems on lower speeds, but not on higher.

I have no idea what else to try. Please, advise.

Alexei

A few thoughts -

Burners are designed to be at optimum near (but not at) their fastest speed. The fact it won't do something far out of that range may indicate mechanical trouble.

RW media is burned at a lower temperature than R media. If you can only burn RW media, your laser is definately in trouble. Have you tried a lens cleaner? If that doesn't do it, and you can only burn RW media, you burner may be on its way out.

I hope you didn't "finalize" your RW believing that will cause the data to stay put. RW media will fade out as the aluminum alloy that was re-crystalized by the laser de-crystalizes and takes the data with it. NEVER use RW media if you want to KEEP something.

Formatting the disc for Packet-Writing seems to cause RW media to fade out faster. However, Packet-Writing is very risky under the best of circumstances, and not recommended for anything where the origial is not still safe - for example, moving files from one computer to another when there are no other options - it'd be a better bet to get a Flash drive (aka Pen drive, Thumb drive, Jump drive, Keychain drive) than use RW media.

(RW is EXCELLENT for testing, since if something doesn't work it can be erased, and the disc re-used. When you get it the way you want it, THEN burn to R media.)

Lynn

Dear James and Lynn:

Thank you for providing your thoughts on the problem and other topics such as CD-RW and choice of media.

While I am getting a new burner from a friend to install and see whether the error persists, I wanted to add something to my message discussing the nature of the trouble.

I do not have the full version of Roxio 6 installed. I chose to install the Creator and Disk Copy only from the manufacturer's disk. In the Tools, Drive Properties, I have noticed that Roxio reads my burner as providing CD-R capability only and does not accept anything else. I thought it may not be accepting related to DVD, because the DVD-burning part of the software is not installed. But then, why would it let me burn a CD-RW?

Thank you adain and best regards.

Alexei

Archived