• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

fhendo

LightScribe

Question

Recently purchased a LightScribe enabled burner from LaCie. On my first attempt at burning a label using EMC8 Label Creator, I was disappointed to see that the label only 1/2 printed. Strangely, if when viewed from the top of the label, everything to the left or above an imaginery diagonal line from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock burned ok, while nothing below or right of this line burned. This is the way it appeared in the preview as well, but I assumed that the preview was not accurate. The same label, when printed to a printer, as opposed to LightScribe, printed fine.

The problem is definitely a Label Creator problem, as LightScribe prints fine when I use another labeling program that came with the drive-"SureThing Label Creator."

Obviously I can work around EMC's Label Creator, but I am curious as to why this happens, and if there is a fix.

Finally, I am curious as to people's reaction to LightScribe. I have to say that my first few labels burned to disc were somewhat of a letdown, as they were very light in tone and lack any "zip." Anybody have any input?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Go to lightscribe.com and download the utility to make labels darker. They also have a lot of free templates. What is your text dpi set at; if it is not 96, reset it to that value. Make sure you also have the driver for that lightscribe burner installed. You can get a copy of the driver from that web site also. When you used label creator, what template did you use? Since the preview looked just like the label, trust it rather than burning a lot of discs incorrectly.

Recently purchased a LightScribe enabled burner from LaCie. On my first attempt at burning a label using EMC8 Label Creator, I was disappointed to see that the label only 1/2 printed. Strangely, if when viewed from the top of the label, everything to the left or above an imaginery diagonal line from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock burned ok, while nothing below or right of this line burned. This is the way it appeared in the preview as well, but I assumed that the preview was not accurate. The same label, when printed to a printer, as opposed to LightScribe, printed fine.

The problem is definitely a Label Creator problem, as LightScribe prints fine when I use another labeling program that came with the drive-"SureThing Label Creator."

Obviously I can work around EMC's Label Creator, but I am curious as to why this happens, and if there is a fix.

Finally, I am curious as to people's reaction to LightScribe. I have to say that my first few labels burned to disc were somewhat of a letdown, as they were very light in tone and lack any "zip." Anybody have any input?

Thanks

Thanks

I don't have a LightScribe drive, but the images I've seen of the "printed" discs haven't impressed me at all. I just ordered a spindle of white, ink jet printable DVD-R discs to use with my Epson R200 printer. The full-color inkjet printing, which is done in a minute or two is definitely my preference over even considering LightScribe's (currently) mono chromatic printing, which takes up to 20 minutes.

Oh yeah, the cost is better too. I spent less than 50 cents each (including shipping) for my spindle of Taiyo Yuden discs.

Edited by d_deweywright

Thanks for the responses. Sknis, I am traveling at the moment, but will do as you suggest when I return. D dewey, I don't have a problem with the monochrome aspect of the LightScribe system--I've seen some very attractive monochrome labels (commercially)--but the ones I've burned are so blah--and it does take a long time. Maybe skni' suggestion about the utility will help.

Finally, I guess you can't assume that a piece of equipment shipped directly from the manufacture doesn't have the latest drivers?

Thanks for the responses. Sknis, I am traveling at the moment, but will do as you suggest when I return. D dewey, I don't have a problem with the monochrome aspect of the LightScribe system--I've seen some very attractive monochrome labels (commercially)--but the ones I've burned are so blah--and it does take a long time. Maybe skni' suggestion about the utility will help.

Finally, I guess you can't assume that a piece of equipment shipped directly from the manufacture doesn't have the latest drivers?

Nope... you can't assume you necessarily have the latest drivers. I think I read where the update for making darker LightScribe can actually make the writing take longer.

For my personal comments about Lightscribe, refer to Post Preview # 26380 on the EMC 7/7.5 Videowave--DVD & Video forum. BTW sknis, I did download the utility that is supposed to make the labels darker and as far as my personal observation after using it, it really didn't make that much difference. The labels still are far from being acceptable. My suggestion is to hold off on a lightscribe burner until they make some changes to their programming and the media itself. Maybe some day they will have color and the process can be speeded up. 25 to 35 minutes (depending on your design) is terrible !!

Frank....