Ideal Ratios For Dvd's

bcrandco

Question

Hi,

I've read various pros and cons about 4:3 and 16:9, etc. What I'm trying to figure out is what the best choice is for me if I'm creating a movie in VideoWave (whatever came with full version of EMC 10)and am adding mpegs. The source is specified as MPEG-2 720x480 29.97 fps 16 bit. When I view this on my computer screen (widescreen) I see a picture clearly wider than the standard TV 4:3. I would like to preserve this ratio - should I then set up VW as 16:9? Anything under "More Settings"(when starting a new production)? What happens when my finished production is viewed on a regular TV with a reg DVD player (I own neither...) - will the ends be chopped? Will there be a black bar top and bottom? Can I give the viewer an option of either a wide screen or a "compressed" version. How can I produce the most versatile/functional version without too much loss?

Thanks

MK

1 answer to this question

You shoot and produce based on your final target… If you target is mostly widescreen, you go 16:9. and those with 4:3 will have to endure.

People act like this is a problem but it isn't. Watch TV for one night and you will see it bouncing around from 4:3 to 16:9 and back all night long.

It isn't a problem for the networks and it isn't a problem for us.

But in any case, you cannot take a 4:3 and "make it" a 16:9 – impossible! And you can't go the other way either.