• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd+r/rw Authored By Emc9 Don't Play In A Stand Alone Dvd Player, But They Are Ok With Emc8!

shasha

Question

Dear all

I hope some clever guy will shed some light on this problem.

I have authored many DVD+r/rw discs using emc 8 and successfully burned them in Imgburn and played them on my PC and my two years old Sony DVD player without any problem.

Recently I have upgraded to emc9. Now the burned discs play on the PC but not on my DVD player!

My workup routine as as follows:

0 - I capture from my Sony camcorder through a fire wire into Videowave

1 - I edit my MPEG clips in Videowave. The edited clips play fine in wmp 11

2 - I use MyDVD 9 to produce an ISO image for a single sided Verbatim DVD+r

3 - I can mount the ISO image into any virtual drive on my PC and it plays fine

4 - I burn the ISO image in Imgburn using default settings [uDF 2 and 1.02]

5 - The final DVD will play back fine in wmp 11

6 - IT DOES NOT PLAY in my Sony DVD player: an error message will be flagged and nothing on screen!

Exploring the burned DVD, I can see the usual VOBs and IFOs and BUPs in their Video_ts folder

I have made another ISO image of the same clips in Windows DVD Maker: the resulting DVDs play fine in my pc and dvd player!, but unfortunately WDM insisting on re encoding the clips which was not really required.

I have made another ISO image of the same clips in ULEAD Studio 2 trial, and it worked fine!

I tried using the same MPEG clips I successfully had authored before on emc8, and again no luck!

I did not have another dvd player to try them on

I have tried different DVD brands, same problem

I tried with MYDVD Express, same problem

I reinstalled emc 9 on my Windows XP Professional PC many times: NO LUCK

I installed emc9 on my new Vista Core i7 PC: SAME problem

I will try some DVD-r to see if that works

Sorry for this long post. Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

13 answers to this question

Easy Media Creator 9 or Roxio Creator 2009? If you have EMC 9, we can move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Dear ggrussell

I don't think it is a DVD burning problem, as the same clips authored and burned properly by using different programs. It is a playback issue. Perhaps some one will provide a solution if this post was moved to the appropriate forum.

Any comments?

Thanks again

Dear ggrussell

I don't think it is a DVD burning problem, as the same clips authored and burned properly by using different programs. It is a playback issue. Perhaps some one will provide a solution if this post was moved to the appropriate forum.

Any comments?

Thanks again

Yeah, answer Gary's question!

Just to update you guys

I sent an email to Roxio technicians/customer support team.

I was hoping for an answer to my problem and guss what? They advised me TO UPGRADE into the new Creator 9!!!

I have already upgraded from emc8 to emc9 [even they are old products], and if emc9 did not work properly compared to emc8, how do I know the new Creator 9 would work?

I downloaded a trial version of Corel Movie Maker 6, and it worked smoothly like a dream and the ISO images were burned by ImgBurn and played on my home DVD player!!.

I think there is a problem with emc9 involving DVD+R and DVD+RW.

I did not notice any offer for a trial version of Creator 9 on the website.

To ask customers simply to upgrade without attempting to solve their problems is not a sound way of attracting more customers.

So I am stilll left with non functioning emc9. Perhaps a solution will be found eventually.

Many thanks and I keep hoping for more comments.

shasha

Generally, it works better in discussing something when everyone is discussing the same thing.

To be talking about "Creator 9" fails to identify if the item under discussion is Creator 2009 (from 2008) or Easy Media Creator 9 (from 2006) or various OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Versions such as Creator 9 DE from Dell. The various things referred to as "Creator 9" don't all have the same components and the components don't all work the same way.

Therefore, it was asked which Version you have. It would also be in order to ask if you bought a retail box, or got it with a burner or other hardware.

The trial of "Corel Movie Maker 6" is probably the same age as Creator 2009, rather than the much older (in software terms) EMC 9. It is not a valid comparison.

You can download Creator 2009 from Roxio and they have a 30-day money-back guarantee - which is fairly close to being a trial Version.

Another point - if the computer doesn't have enough processor power, memory, or Hard Drive space, the program isn't going to work right. You haven't given any info on your computer specs, and that could be relevant.

So as long as there is no base line of information needed to give relevant answers, it will continue to appear as if it is simply a shouting match. :(

Lynn

Generally, it works better in discussing something when everyone is discussing the same thing.

To be talking about "Creator 9" fails to identify if the item under discussion is Creator 2009 (from 2008) or Easy Media Creator 9 (from 2006) or various OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Versions such as Creator 9 DE from Dell. The various things referred to as "Creator 9" don't all have the same components and the components don't all work the same way.

Therefore, it was asked which Version you have. It would also be in order to ask if you bought a retail box, or got it with a burner or other hardware.

The trial of "Corel Movie Maker 6" is probably the same age as Creator 2009, rather than the much older (in software terms) EMC 9. It is not a valid comparison.

You can download Creator 2009 from Roxio and they have a 30-day money-back guarantee - which is fairly close to being a trial Version.

Another point - if the computer doesn't have enough processor power, memory, or Hard Drive space, the program isn't going to work right. You haven't given any info on your computer specs, and that could be relevant.

So as long as there is no base line of information needed to give relevant answers, it will continue to appear as if it is simply a shouting match. :(

Lynn

Dear Lynn

My problem is with a full commercial version of Easy Media Creator 9. I was advised by Roxio people to upgrade into Creator 2009.

I tried it on Windows XP professional 3GHZ pentium 4 with 1 GIG of memory and 250 GIG hard disc, and on a new Core i7 / Vista 64 pc with 6 GIG of memory and 650 GIG hard disc. Same result in both. The problem is that EMC9 is expected at least to be backward compatible with EMC8 with which I did not have any problems. I wish I could go back to EMC8 but my original discs were corrupted and did not install properly.

Try burning that ISO with the Roxio software instead of ImgBurn.

I have already tried that without luck.

Dear Lynn

My problem is with a full commercial version of Easy Media Creator 9. I was advised by Roxio people to upgrade into Creator 2009.

I tried it on Windows XP professional 3GHZ pentium 4 with 1 GIG of memory and 250 GIG hard disc, and on a new Core i7 / Vista 64 pc with 6 GIG of memory and 650 GIG hard disc. Same result in both. The problem is that EMC9 is expected at least to be backward compatible with EMC8 with which I did not have any problems. I wish I could go back to EMC8 but my original discs were corrupted and did not install properly.

Download, and install, the 9.1 update, for Vista, here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/emc9/software_updates.html

I have no clue if it will work with Vista 64, but then again, what does? There have been some posts of success, with Creator 2009 and Vista 64 bit.

Download, and install, the 9.1 update, for Vista, here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/emc9/software_updates.html

I have no clue if it will work with Vista 64, but then again, what does? There have been some posts of success, with Creator 2009 and Vista 64 bit.

Many thanks for you all for your continued interest in this problem. I have already downloaded and installed 9.1 upgrade but unfortunately it did not work.

The other day I tried a free program [ DVD Flick ]. It produced VIDEO.TS and Audio.TS folders which were then burned successfully in ImgBurn and it worked!. but the drawback was that it insisted on re encoding which was not required.

Again my thanks

Please give some details on "it did not work".

Hi Brendon

It opened my MPEG2 clips, played them smoothly, and after some trimming it produced an ISO image which after burning by MyDVD or ImgBurn, the burned DVD+r and DVD+rw play in wmp11 but it did not play on my home DVD player [a two year old Sony]. the player simply flagged an error [ cannot play this disc ]. The same MPEG2 clips run through EMC8 played without any problem on both my pc and home player.

It's possible that the fault here is in the media - you have a 'high end' DVD player and, in general, they're a lot more fussy over what they will and won't play.

Cheap machines usually play anything you put in them - crazy but that's how it is

Try a different brand - Taiyo Yuden if you can get them or Verbatim - avoid Memorex and any cheap brands

Also, sometimes you will find that a DVD-R will work instead of +R (but RW discs can also cause problems due to the lower reflectivity of the dye)

It's possible that the fault here is in the media - you have a 'high end' DVD player and, in general, they're a lot more fussy over what they will and won't play.

Cheap machines usually play anything you put in them - crazy but that's how it is

Try a different brand - Taiyo Yuden if you can get them or Verbatim - avoid Memorex and any cheap brands

Also, sometimes you will find that a DVD-R will work instead of +R (but RW discs can also cause problems due to the lower reflectivity of the dye)

Thanks for your input.

I am using Verbatim. I don't think it is media issue, as Verbatim DVD+r authorized by EMC8 play on my home DVD player and Verbatim DVD+r authorized by EMC9 don't play.