johneavery

SetUp error during Re-Install on XP-Pro

Question

My XP-Pro is fully up to date (as of yesterday, 04/30/06). All of my s/w is as up to date as can be, including upgraded MS Installer (after the problem began, as suggested for another problem in your forum.)

I uninstalled (YourUninstaller2006) Roxio and deleted any remaining files and/or folders after each attempt to re-install (including the Start Menu.) I have completely cleaned all registry entries for everything Roxio, disconnected from the internet, knocked down AdWatch, Norton and AVG, rebooted several times (following each attempt to re-load EMC-8), and I am now at a loss as to what to do.

The registry s/w I've used are JV16, RegCleaner, EasyCleaner, RegScrub and RegOptimizer.

(The reason for the RE-install is because I rebuilt my system to create several partitions on two hard drives and wanted a clean start. I'm following the "plan" of Fred Langa (langalist.com) and related items from MS and two other Guru's. All other s/w has re-installed just fine. Roxio is the last one I was re-installing. I still have 1.97 Gb available on my C:\ drive.)

I would certainly appreciate any help (Roxanne had no clue, by the way.)

John E Avery

Canon City, Colorado, USA

14 answers to this question

My XP-Pro is fully up to date (as of yesterday, 04/30/06). All of my s/w is as up to date as can be, including upgraded MS Installer (after the problem began, as suggested for another problem in your forum.)

I uninstalled (YourUninstaller2006) Roxio and deleted any remaining files and/or folders after each attempt to re-install (including the Start Menu.) I have completely cleaned all registry entries for everything Roxio, disconnected from the internet, knocked down AdWatch, Norton and AVG, rebooted several times (following each attempt to re-load EMC-8), and I am now at a loss as to what to do.

The registry s/w I've used are JV16, RegCleaner, EasyCleaner, RegScrub and RegOptimizer.

(The reason for the RE-install is because I rebuilt my system to create several partitions on two hard drives and wanted a clean start. I'm following the "plan" of Fred Langa (langalist.com) and related items from MS and two other Guru's. All other s/w has re-installed just fine. Roxio is the last one I was re-installing. I still have 1.97 Gb available on my C:\ drive.)

I would certainly appreciate any help (Roxanne had no clue, by the way.)

John E Avery

Canon City, Colorado, USA

I would think that if you have only 1.97GB available you will have trouble installing and definitely problems running the software.

I would think that if you have only 1.97GB available you will have trouble installing and definitely problems running the software.

I was afraid that leaving out that one other bit of information might be a mistake. My "ProgramFiles" is on a D:\ drive that has 5 Gb available. Only programs that won't allow me to redirect ProgramFiles are on the C:\ drive - currently only 687 Mb worth. E:\ is all of my source (Download) programs. C:\ is pretty much XP-Pro only.

Thanks for responding. Sorry I left that out. (old programmers never die, they just get older)

I was afraid that leaving out that one other bit of information might be a mistake. My "ProgramFiles" is on a D:\ drive that has 5 Gb available. Only programs that won't allow me to redirect ProgramFiles are on the C:\ drive - currently only 687 Mb worth. E:\ is all of my source (Download) programs. C:\ is pretty much XP-Pro only.

Thanks for responding. Sorry I left that out. (old programmers never die, they just get older)

Hard drives are inexpensive. I need a new one, too. I have an 80GB hard drive and a 120GB hard drive in this computer, but I want to get a 250GB hard drive, just for video work.

You need to get a new hard drive. Don't get one less than 120GB. That is the smallest I would go.

Hard drives are inexpensive

Best Buy this weeks add had Seagate 120GB for $59.00 and the 400GB for $159.00 no rebates involved. Both internal ata 100, 5 year warranty. I picked up a 120 three weeks ago on the same sale. Limit 2 per customer.

cdanteek

Hard drives are inexpensive. I need a new one, too. I have an 80GB hard drive and a 120GB hard drive in this computer, but I want to get a 250GB hard drive, just for video work.

You need to get a new hard drive. Don't get one less than 120GB. That is the smallest I would go.

I don't know why you feel I should get a new HD. What does that have to do with a RE-stall problem. I'm just trying to put back, in the same place, what was already there before, and I get a SetUp error.

HD-0 80 Gb Size Free

C XP-Pro 5.85 1.95

D ProgramFiles 5.85 5.00

E MyWorkFiles 5.85 5.23

F Downloads - Music 23.00 21.30

G Pictures 23.00 22.90

H XP-Pro Test 5.85

J XP-Pro Virgin 5.85

HD-1 60 Gb

K XP1 b/u 4.87

L XP2 b/u 4.87

M PageFile 2.92

N Scratch 2.92

O Open BackUp 39.00

P Scratch2 2.58

Best Buy this weeks add had Seagate 120GB for $59.00 and the 400GB for $159.00 no rebates involved. Both internal ata 100, 5 year warranty. I picked up a 120 three weeks ago on the same sale. Limit 2 per customer.

cdanteek

Thanks, cd. I wish Best Buy was closer. lol The closest is 75-80 miles. I know that my Asus mobo will accept the 120GB hard drive without blinking, but I wonder if there is something extra I have to do to get it to recognize a 250MB hard drive.

BTW, give us a name, or I will go back to calling you Dan. LOL

I don't know why you feel I should get a new HD. What does that have to do with a RE-stall problem. I'm just trying to put back, in the same place, what was already there before, and I get a SetUp error.

HD-0 80 Gb Size Free

C XP-Pro 5.85 1.95

D ProgramFiles 5.85 5.00

E MyWorkFiles 5.85 5.23

F Downloads - Music 23.00 21.30

G Pictures 23.00 22.90

H XP-Pro Test 5.85

J XP-Pro Virgin 5.85

HD-1 60 Gb

K XP1 b/u 4.87

L XP2 b/u 4.87

M PageFile 2.92

N Scratch 2.92

O Open BackUp 39.00

P Scratch2 2.58

What part of YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE don't you understand? You are asking for help. You are getting help.

You provided the information that shows you have no room left on your hard drive. If you don't want to get a larger hard drive, so be it, but unless you free up some room, you are going to have problems. Even if you change drives/partitions, where your temp files will default to, you will still have problems.

Edited by grandpabruce

Thanks, cd. I wish Best Buy was closer. lol The closest is 75-80 miles. I know that my Asus mobo will accept the 120GB hard drive without blinking, but I wonder if there is something extra I have to do to get it to recognize a 250MB hard drive.

What part of YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE don't you understand? You are asking for help. You are getting help.

You provided the information that shows you have no room left on your hard drive. If you don't want to get a larger hard drive, so be it, but unless you free up some room, you are going to have problems. Even if you change drives/partitions, where your temp files will default to, you will still have problems.

What part of I HAVE FIVE GIGABYTES of space on the ProgramFiles drive and HAVE FIVE GIGABYTES of space on my work files drive don't YOU understand. Roxio WAS up and RUNNING. I'm now just trying to REINSTALL it. Right where is was. Please don't yell if you are not going to read what I wrote. I don't need help that badly. During my 40+ years as programmer, Systems Analyst, and Manager I didn't get to yell at people. Although I did once threaten to meet an employee of mine in the parking lot after work and beat the crap out of him if he didn't stop calling me names. But I said it calmly.

What part of I HAVE FIVE GIGABYTES of space on the ProgramFiles drive and HAVE FIVE GIGABYTES of space on my work files drive don't YOU understand. Roxio WAS up and RUNNING. I'm now just trying to REINSTALL it. Right where is was. Please don't yell if you are not going to read what I wrote. I don't need help that badly. During my 40+ years as programmer, Systems Analyst, and Manager I didn't get to yell at people. Although I did once threaten to meet an employee of mine in the parking lot after work and beat the crap out of him if he didn't stop calling me names. But I said it calmly.

In spite of the fact that EMC 8 lets you install onto the D: drive, as you want, it still puts several hundred MB of "shared" data onto the C: drive. I like to keep my C: drive as small as possible too, but recently had to resize my partitions to accomodate an update/reinstall of EMC 8. It is entirely possible that even your 1.95GB of space on the C: drive is a problem. Partition Magic is a great tool for resizing your partitions without having to reinstall everything.

Is there any more text that comes up with the install error? And this happens after completing the install from the first disc? Or does it act like there is more left to install?

I haven't been programming for 40 years, only about 25, and while an 80GB and 60GB drive may seem like a lot of space, I'm now up to almost 400GB of disc space (total, 3 physical drives, 5 partitions) in my machine. The space you have allocated seems like it could get small awfully fast, unfortunately.

"File space required increases to exceed existing available space." - my corollary to: "Expenses rise to exceed income."

But, the real question I have is above, about any more text with the error message.

Let us know.

cdanteek obviously has the initials C-D. Try Auntee.

Lynn

If you are doing Video work, 5 GB is pretty small - the program and a couple minutes of capture.

google page

If you are only doing data CDs and audio CDs, WinXP can do THAT.

There seems to be a conflict somewhere, whether in space available or intentions.

Lynn

I know that my Asus mobo will accept the 120GB hard drive without blinking, but I wonder if there is something extra I have to do to get it to recognize a 250MB hard drive.

This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;303013

Now with that board Intel 875P Chipset Multi-RAID for ATA133 & Serial ATA!

RAID options built into motherboard chipsets, RAID is also being found and offered as an option in more advanced user computers. This is especially true in computers dedicated to storage-intensive tasks, such as video and audio editing.

A RAID 0 (also known as a striped set) RAID 0 is normally used to increase performance. 2 Maxtor Diamond Max 10 SATA 150 250gb $84.00 ea = 500gb SATA Raid O Striped Array. Or 2 Seagates for $89.00ea at New egg.

Or 1 new large disc on the Promise 133 controler, do a ata 133 Maxtor, or another Raid Array there.

My Asus Bios on Raid handled this two years ago on a p4p800 with 865 chipset sp1 install. The limits are different for SATA.

cdanteek

cdanteek obviously has the initials C-D. Try Auntee.

Dad a marvelous woman... but . . . there is help at hand!

most nouns and adjectives ending in the letter 'a' are feminine…. but ….

…of course there are many exceptions…

so if you have learned words with a word-picture association cartoon with an 'inbuilt' gender trigger you will have the tools to know the many exceptions to the rules!

Unless someone was obviously trying to get under ones skin!

cdanteek

This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;303013

Now with that board Intel 875P Chipset Multi-RAID for ATA133 & Serial ATA!

RAID options built into motherboard chipsets, RAID is also being found and offered as an option in more advanced user computers. This is especially true in computers dedicated to storage-intensive tasks, such as video and audio editing.

A RAID 0 (also known as a striped set) RAID 0 is normally used to increase performance. 2 Maxtor Diamond Max 10 SATA 150 250gb $84.00 ea = 500gb SATA Raid O Striped Array. Or 2 Seagates for $89.00ea at New egg.

Or 1 new large disc on the Promise 133 controler, do a ata 133 Maxtor, or another Raid Array there.

My Asus Bios on Raid handled this two years ago on a p4p800 with 865 chipset sp1 install. The limits are different for SATA.

cdanteek

Thanks for the link. I will look at it in a little bit.

I took a look. Not looking good, unless I install SP2. :)

Edited by grandpabruce

I am in the process of extending my drives. All I have to do now is boot from another version of my system on a different drive so that C:\ becomes extendable (by 3 Gb to just under 10 Gb. Then I'll try reinstalling EMC8 again. Thanks for the advice, and I hope it works. John Avery.