• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable to detect DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs

drmacintosh2000@dslextreme.com

Question

I am using both the versions 5.2.3 & 7.0.2 of Toast Titanium. The computer is a Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz with an external Plextor 740U/F DVD recorder. I will start with a shrink wrapped Maxell DVD-RW & DVD+RW & it will burn fine. Once the disc has been erased, the next time a burn is to take place, Toast Titanium will return a message indicating that it is unable to recognize the disc & to insert a blank disc. I also have two Wintel computers where the OEM version of Nero works fine, no problems writing to the disc or reading it from the default drive or the Pioneer & Sony DVD-ROM drives. I went to the knowledgebase and was told for this issue to try different media which I did. After it said in the article that the drive could be defective. It works fine in Windows so this does not seem to be the problem. I even contacted Plextor support & they were stumpped. What is going on here?

5 answers to this question

What firmware does the Drive have. Just because it works with Nero doesn't mean the drive and media are OK. Nero adds work-arounds for firmware bugs. Toast will not try to fix a drive bug. That's what the firmware is for.

The current firmware is 1.02

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/dow...ds/firm_740.htm

You should be using it.

Also, never use DVD-RW or DVD+RW on the Mac and PC, and never change drives with them. They will just be wiped out. Always do a full erase to keep them working correctly.

I do have the latest version of firmware v1.0.2. As for the DVD-RW/DVD+RW formats, the DVD that I try to read from the internal DVD-ROM drive on the Macintosh contains data that is from Windows. I am not actually erasing a disc with the OEM version of Nero then trying to use it in Toast Titanium. Before I do that, I perform a full/long erase before attempting to use in Toast. The only reason for using the Windows recorded DVD-RW/DVD+RW in the internal Macintosh DVD-ROM drive is to see if the drive would read the disc.

I'm not sure why that's happening either. I use Maxell DVD+RW discs (the 2.4x speed version) with Toast and haven't had any difficulty doing quick erases and reburning. (There was at least one time I did a full erase, too). I also have erased Maxell DVD-RWs with both my Pioneer standalone recorder and with Toast and they worked fine even when swapping which device did the erasing.

As I recall there was a time or two that a DVD-RW wasn't recognized by Toast after a quick erase. I put it in my standalone recorder and did an initialization and then put it back in Toast for a second quick erase. The disc was usable in Toast after that.

I presume you've tried quitting and reopening Toast to see if that changed whether or not the erased disc was recognized. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Plextor drive (or logging off and on)?

1) I didnt see that you had tried the plextor drive on the windows system with Nero. You said you had tried a Pioneer drive and a Sony one, did you mean Plextor? If not then it could be a drive/media issue.

2) Have you tried a full erase, or just a quck erase?

I never mentioned that I have a Pioneer & Sony DVD recorder. Tsantee is the person who has stated that he has the Pioneer & Sony DVD recorders. To answer your question, I only have this Plextor 740 U/F DVD recorder. I have indeed tried the DVD recorder in Windows both MSWXP SP2 & MSW2K SP4. Both computers have the OEM version of Nero installed & from both computers a long erase works successfully as well as a DVD data burn. Also what is successful is a read from an internal Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-120S on the MSWXP SP2 computer and an internal Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM CRX320E on the MSW2K SP4. I also tried both methods of connection: the 1394 ports on both computers as well as the high speed USB 2.0 ports from the two Windows computers which worked successfully. Trying the same two connection interfaces from my Macintosh, the DVD recorder does get recognized but not the DVD-RW/DVD+RW media. I don't recall if mentioned, that the internal DVD-ROM drive on the Macintosh can not read either media once a successful burn has been completed on the Windows side. Hope this additional information clarifies a few things hear. Thanks again.

What firmware does the Drive have. Just because it works with Nero doesn't mean the drive and media are OK. Nero adds work-arounds for firmware bugs. Toast will not try to fix a drive bug. That's what the firmware is for.

The current firmware is 1.02

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/dow...ds/firm_740.htm

You should be using it.

Also, never use DVD-RW or DVD+RW on the Mac and PC, and never change drives with them. They will just be wiped out. Always do a full erase to keep them working correctly.

Archived