rubyfruitradio

Errors Writing Disks

Question

I have a Macbook with a Matshita dvdr Running OSX 10.5.6.

Toast 10 Titanium which I just got the other day.

Everything was working ok about 3 days ago. Then yesterday, I started getting write errors. This is happening when I am trying to burn video_ts folders. I was able to burn 2 dvds ok but now I get this error

sense key= hardware error

sense code= 0x09,0x03

spindle servo failure

I have tried rebooting.

I have checked to make sure all updates for Toast are run.

I have tried 2 different brands of media (one memorex and one tdk) and I still get this error.

I have also tried a couple of different video_ts files with the same results.

Any ideas? I've seen varying ideas...it's the drive...it's the media...it's toast...it's osx. I don't care what it is, but I just bought some software that has worked twice and now doesn't work anymore.

7 answers to this question

I don't recall anyone mentioning that specific error in the past. I'm wondering if it may really be a hardware failure. Have you tried burning discs using Disk Utility, iTunes or the Finder instead of Toast?

Something you might try is choosing Save as Disc Image rather than clicking the burn button. The select the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window. Insert your blank disc and click the Record button. Click the speed setting button and choose the slowest available burn speed. See if that works.

I get the same errors. I can burn CD's with disk util and I reinstalled Toast 9 and it burns the CD just fine. Used the same settings in Toast 10 and 9. Toast 10 gives the error and 9 does not. To me this points to a software issue.

Any comments Roxio?

I get the same errors. I can burn CD's with disk util and I reinstalled Toast 9 and it burns the CD just fine. Used the same settings in Toast 10 and 9. Toast 10 gives the error and 9 does not. To me this points to a software issue.

Any comments Roxio?

Looks likely. Which Mac do you have?

Also, please contact Roxio support and also use the Feedback link in Toast Help.

I just purchased Toast 10 Titanium a month ago, and installed it on my new Mac Pro, but never tried to burn anything till yesterday. First I tried to copy a disc, after ripping content from the source, I was prompted to insert a blank, and as I did, Itunes came up, which I cancelled, then proceeded to continue with the copy process on Toast. After only a couple of seconds (lead in was partially done) I received the following error:

The Drive Reported an Error:

Lead in-lead out failed to be written

Sense Key=Hardware Error

Sense Code=0x09, 0x03

Spindle Servo Failure

Of course the Sony music disc media was then useless. I had done all the updates for Toast.

Later for reference I tried to burn a music disc without copying any previous disc and the same burn failure notice came up with a destroyed disc.

I have searched this forum and found this thread, I looked on support, and my Mac Pro is brand new and seems to work fine everywhere else, burns fine without Toast, so I doubt it is hardware

related, I have done all of the Mac updates, and there is no option for firmware up on a HL-Dt-St-DVD-RWGH41N drive. I have had a long history with Roxio, and many problems with Windows based Roxio conflicts which I was able to resolve. I am saddened and disappointed that the same thing is now occurring with

Mac which is supposed to be user friendly, relatively problem free, and less conflicted in software architecture than Windows systems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wes

I just purchased Toast 10 Titanium a month ago, and installed it on my new Mac Pro, but never tried to burn anything till yesterday. First I tried to copy a disc, after ripping content from the source, I was prompted to insert a blank, and as I did, Itunes came up, which I cancelled, then proceeded to continue with the copy process on Toast. After only a couple of seconds (lead in was partially done) I received the following error:

The Drive Reported an Error:

Lead in-lead out failed to be written

Sense Key=Hardware Error

Sense Code=0x09, 0x03

Spindle Servo Failure

Of course the Sony music disc media was then useless. I had done all the updates for Toast.

Later for reference I tried to burn a music disc without copying any previous disc and the same burn failure notice came up with a destroyed disc.

I have searched this forum and found this thread, I looked on support, and my Mac Pro is brand new and seems to work fine everywhere else, burns fine without Toast, so I doubt it is hardware

related, I have done all of the Mac updates, and there is no option for firmware up on a HL-Dt-St-DVD-RWGH41N drive. I have had a long history with Roxio, and many problems with Windows based Roxio conflicts which I was able to resolve. I am saddened and disappointed that the same thing is now occurring with

Mac which is supposed to be user friendly, relatively problem free, and less conflicted in software architecture than Windows systems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wes

Please confirm:

Using Toast you can't make a music cd. When using another program, using the same brand of cd's everything is ok.

Please confirm:

Using Toast you can't make a music cd. When using another program, using the same brand of cd's everything is ok.

You are correct, using Toast, I cannot copy a CD nor burn a music CD from music files that have been ripped from a music CD and placed in a folder I get the error noted previously.

After my original post I tried a different brand of CD-R (TDK) and set write speed at 2x (down from Maximum) and the disc burned successfully- but so slowly.

I also tried it on a CD-RW at 2X and that also worked, but it is so slow-so I wouldnt damage more media!

The resident Mac CD and DVD burning program works fine to burn files (not music CDs) when I am not using Toast, so my problem is not the burner hardware. The problem may be with the original CD-R media for music from Sony that I used, however that brand seems to work on all of my computers.

It is also possible that the default speed setting (maximum) in Toast is the problem, I will try successive increases from 2X upward till I hit the error message again.

If you have any other suggestions of advice please send it.

Wes

It is also possible that the default speed setting (maximum) in Toast is the problem, I will try successive increases from 2X upward till I hit the error message again.

If you have any other suggestions of advice please send it.

Wes

It is recommended to always burn audio CDs at the slowest available speed. The true available speeds are not listed in Toast until the media is inserted and recognized. It is difficult to find drives and discs that burn CDs slower than 8X today.

Although other applications may burn your audio CDs at a faster speed than Toast can do successfully on your Mac, that may not get you an audio CD that has the fewest errors.