• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Do not uninstall EMC 7 if you edited photos!

ngc4565

Question

When I installed EMC 8, I allowed the install process to uninstall EMC 7. Boy was that a mistake! Almost all of my EMC 7 projects would not open under EMC 8 due to missing files. It turned out that the uninstall cleaned up a common Roxio software folder under "program files" that unbeknownst to me held the photo edits of ALL my projects as .psa files. It took hours of work to recover the missing files to be able to open the projects again.

I always thought that backing up my Roxio projects in "My Multimedia Projects" folder would preserve all my work in case my hard drive crashed or something. Now I know better.

Since then, I never crop or enhance my photos in VideoWave. I do that in Photoshop Elements where I can maintain more control of my pictures in "My Pictures" folders. I always know my photos are where I put them and called what I named them instead of being stored in some out-of-the-way folder using system-created, esoteric file names.

So if you have edited photos in EMC 7 and you are installing EMC 8, don't uninstall EMC 7!

2 answers to this question

I don't know if this is the place to ask this question, but, here goes. I installed EMC 8 on my computer, which uses Windows XP. I tried to create a slide show with VideoWave, according to the directions in all the books and the help section. However, when I try to preview it, it freezes at every transition, and when I try to insert a blank slide for using with text the slide is a collage of all the pictures in my slideshow.

There is either something wrong with the program, or else my cpu can't handle it, even though I have everything that is required to run EMC8. I'm thinking of uninstalling the program and re-installing it, but I'm afraid my slideshow will go away in its entirety, and I've worked too hard and too long to lose all of it. So, just like the program, I am STUCK, and don't know what to do. If anyone out there has any suggestions, I would appreciate them!

Thanks, Fran

I don't know if this is the place to ask this question, but, here goes. I installed EMC 8 on my computer, which uses Windows XP. I tried to create a slide show with VideoWave, according to the directions in all the books and the help section. However, when I try to preview it, it freezes at every transition, and when I try to insert a blank slide for using with text the slide is a collage of all the pictures in my slideshow.

There is either something wrong with the program, or else my cpu can't handle it, even though I have everything that is required to run EMC8. I'm thinking of uninstalling the program and re-installing it, but I'm afraid my slideshow will go away in its entirety, and I've worked too hard and too long to lose all of it. So, just like the program, I am STUCK, and don't know what to do. If anyone out there has any suggestions, I would appreciate them!

Thanks, Fran

Please start a separate thread (preferably in the DVD and Video section) for you problem since your problems are completely different from the original posters. Also please list which version of EMC 8 you are using: Essential, EMC 8 Suite or the EMC 8 Deluxe Suite. Also a description of your computer system like I have in my signature is very helpful.

When I installed EMC 8, I allowed the install process to uninstall EMC 7. Boy was that a mistake! Almost all of my EMC 7 projects would not open under EMC 8 due to missing files. It turned out that the uninstall cleaned up a common Roxio software folder under "program files" that unbeknownst to me held the photo edits of ALL my projects as .psa files. It took hours of work to recover the missing files to be able to open the projects again.

I always thought that backing up my Roxio projects in "My Multimedia Projects" folder would preserve all my work in case my hard drive crashed or something. Now I know better.

Since then, I never crop or enhance my photos in VideoWave. I do that in Photoshop Elements where I can maintain more control of my pictures in "My Pictures" folders. I always know my photos are where I put them and called what I named them instead of being stored in some out-of-the-way folder using system-created, esoteric file names.

So if you have edited photos in EMC 7 and you are installing EMC 8, don't uninstall EMC 7!

"I always know my photos are where I put them and called what I named them instead of being stored in some out-of-the-way folder using system-created, esoteric file names."

You can easily do this in any version of EMC and you do not have to use the dafaults.

Why would you think that "that backing up my Roxio projects in "My Multimedia Projects" folder would preserve all my work in case my hard drive crashed or something" unless that folder is on another drive.

Archived