• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

bjryan

Spin Doctor 6.0.1

Question

Hi, have recently purchased Toast Pro 10 and tried to record a record to spin doc it goes through the motions of recording the record, and defining the tracks but when you go to save the original or any changes it keeps asking to name the file, which i do so i end up with a few copies but they are only 4kb in size instead of the 300MB that the file usually is till you turn it into a cd and when you quit the sd program and go to the file again it does not recognise where it has supposed to be saved or when you select other to go find it it won't open the small file that was created. and to make matters worst the previous versions of spin doc don't work either.

Regards Barry.

Edited by bjryan

11 answers to this question

Yes, this has been discussed a great deal in other threads here. Something to try is to choose Save a Copy of... INSTEAD of choosing Save. Then use the Open command to open the saved copy to proceed with working on the audio file. Your goal is to get the saved file name to appear in the blue window near the top of Spin Doctor. If it still says Untitled then you can't do anything with the file.

It is a horrible bug.

• Like 1

Yes, this has been discussed a great deal in other threads here. Something to try is to choose Save a Copy of... INSTEAD of choosing Save. Then use the Open command to open the saved copy to proceed with working on the audio file. Your goal is to get the saved file name to appear in the blue window near the top of Spin Doctor. If it still says Untitled then you can't do anything with the file.

It is a horrible bug.

I thought Pro 10 and SD 6.01 was supposed to fix this?

• Like 1

I thought Pro 10 and SD 6.01 was supposed to fix this?

Sigh.

Sigh.

I feel the same way. I have just installed 6.0.1 on a older G5 with 10.5.1. Successfully recorded 5 sides of 3 LPs for someone and on the last side (go figure) Spin Doctor quit saving my recordings. It's all there but when I save it it won't save a proper file but leaves a 4 kb file. Going "save a copy" creates a really big AIF file that nothing, not even Spin Doctor, recognizes. Reset the preferences, shut down the Mac, zapped the P-RAM, no help.

Any suggestions? My next step it to hook up my digital video camera to the system and record to it, then edit in Final Cut Pro. Should have done that to start with.

CD Spin Doctor - what a great idea if it worked.

Update, while Spin Doctor still won't "save" or "save as" the recording correctly, splitting up the tracks and saving it to iTunes worked. Since I like to cut the files apart in FCP for a tighter cut and the ability to reset the volume, I made the recording one track and sent it to iTunes, not only did it save the MP3 file but when I opened the folder it was also there as an AIF I could use.

Now that I have this figured out, it's time to unseal the rare Root Boy Slim & The Sex Change Band LP I've been waiting to convert. :D

I need the break from the gospel LPs I've been working on for a friend. :blink:

Update, while Spin Doctor still won't "save" or "save as" the recording correctly, splitting up the tracks and saving it to iTunes worked. Since I like to cut the files apart in FCP for a tighter cut and the ability to reset the volume, I made the recording one track and sent it to iTunes, not only did it save the MP3 file but when I opened the folder it was also there as an AIF I could use.

Now that I have this figured out, it's time to unseal the rare Root Boy Slim & The Sex Change Band LP I've been waiting to convert. :D

I need the break from the gospel LPs I've been working on for a friend. :blink:

Did you try the option to "save a copy as" instead of "save" or "save as".

For whatever reason, "save a copy as" IS DIFFERENT from "save" or "save as".

Doing a "save a copy as" works for me while the other two options don't.

Did you try the option to "save a copy as" instead of "save" or "save as".

For whatever reason, "save a copy as" IS DIFFERENT from "save" or "save as".

Doing a "save a copy as" works for me while the other two options don't.

DUH - I typed it wrong. Yes, I meant "Save A Copy" not save as and it saves an AIF, it's just that nothing recognizes it as a valid file so it's useless too.

So I was more than surprised when after being unable to save or save a copy properly that I could save an MP3 to iTunes and there's a good AIF in the folder with the MP3. Two days ago this wouldn't work either!

That was yesterday though, later today I'll be converting an album and thoroughly expect things will be different (not in a good way) yet again. In all the years I've been using Macs & PCs I've never run across such a fickle piece of software. Yesterday I had Toast 10 open and tried to launch Disk Cover from WITHIN Toast 10 under EXTRAS. Every time I tried it told me I had to launch Toast (duh it's open - :blink: ) and enter the software key.

I've been a huge Toast fan for years and have shelf full of versions but lately they have been really going downhill with correcting issues. Has congress been messing around with Roxio? :wacko: Just saying!

DUH - I typed it wrong. Yes, I meant "Save A Copy" not save as and it saves an AIF, it's just that nothing recognizes it as a valid file so it's useless too.

So I was more than surprised when after being unable to save or save a copy properly that I could save an MP3 to iTunes and there's a good AIF in the folder with the MP3. Two days ago this wouldn't work either!

That was yesterday though, later today I'll be converting an album and thoroughly expect things will be different (not in a good way) yet again. In all the years I've been using Macs & PCs I've never run across such a fickle piece of software. Yesterday I had Toast 10 open and tried to launch Disk Cover from WITHIN Toast 10 under EXTRAS. Every time I tried it told me I had to launch Toast (duh it's open - :blink: ) and enter the software key.

I've been a huge Toast fan for years and have shelf full of versions but lately they have been really going downhill with correcting issues. Has congress been messing around with Roxio? :wacko: Just saying!

One quirk I have found about cdsd is that when it saves .aiff files, it saves them as .aif, only one "f". try adding a second "f" to the file name and see if another app will open it.

My experience is that at times cdsd will not open an .aiff file but if I make a duplicate of that file and change the extension to have only one "f", then cdsd will open it.

Oh boy, now it won't save anything!!

One thing you can say though, Spin Doctor is consistent for me.

It gets consistently worse!

Now where's the Emoticon with it's little middle finger pointing up?

Oh boy, now it won't save anything!!

One thing you can say though, Spin Doctor is consistent for me.

It gets consistently worse!

Now where's the Emoticon with it's little middle finger pointing up?

I know the feeling. However, I don't know why the latest version is worse for you. Are you using version 6.1.2? Walk me through the steps you took to create the recording and what happens when you try to save it. Also, try trashing the Spin Doctor plist file from your User>Library>Preferences folder. That, unfortunately, will cause Spin Doctor to no longer have a list of previous recordings. If that is a loss to you then move the plist elsewhere so you can put it back in case this action makes no difference in fixing the problem.

I am having the same problem with SpinDoctor. When I ask it to 'Save as' on to the desktop (I've always done it that way) I get the small file and the original turns into a single line and vanishes. At least an hour's work up the spout. I have found that if I select the whole thing as a single track and then save the track, it works. At least there's something to work on . Then if you split the job into its component tracks and ask it to save the tracks, it does that, too. But it won't save the trackings in the way I have been accustomed to. (Splitting up the work into tracks, getting rid of intros and extraneous noises, etc which are made inactive)