• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Resizing Video Clips ?

Nevy P

Question

Hi All !!!

I have just installed Creator 2009 and i have a question about video files.

Basically i want to create a dvd by compiling AVI/MPEG format video files but when the DVD is burned and played back on TV/DVD Player the video is 'oversized'.

I've noticed that there is a 'TV Safe Zone' feature which i presume is telling you what the correct video size should be - So how do i resize the files so i can get ALL of the image viewable during playback ??

Any help will be appreciated

Nevy P

7 answers to this question

Hi All !!!

I have just installed Creator 2009 and i have a question about video files.

Basically i want to create a dvd by compiling AVI/MPEG format video files but when the DVD is burned and played back on TV/DVD Player the video is 'oversized'.

I've noticed that there is a 'TV Safe Zone' feature which i presume is telling you what the correct video size should be - So how do i resize the files so i can get ALL of the image viewable during playback ??

Any help will be appreciated

Nevy P

For video, add the video as an overlay to a color panel the same length of the video. You can resize the video by dragging the corners inside the TV safe zone area.

For images, read this (link).

As you can probably guess, flat screens have a larger TV safe zone than tube type TVs.

You will lose something on every TV, it is the way they work. The Safe Zone shows you what is "guaranteed" to be on screen.

I have been doing this for many years and don't really see a problem.

The only thing you can try is to put a color panel in VideoWave, strech it to the length of your clip, then add your clip to the Overlay track. You can size it there and try different things.

Your color panel will show if the clip doesn't fit acting like a border. This is a handy trick when you have low quality clips that look horrible at full screen size.

OK

Thanks SKNIS and Jim !!!!

I'll give this a go !!!

..... but i have now got another question for you!

I have made some 'test' DVD's and there is a problem with the audio which stutters and pops on playback

can you give me any ideas on what to do ?

On the whole i think the software is very good (after my very bad experiences with Nero 9 !) but i found that when using it for video duties it is slow to load the various programmes - so i am hoping that future Service Packs will sort out the problems

p.s Jim my pc was fully formatted and OS reinstalled before installing Roxio !!!

(I like millions of others have discovered that Nero 9 cannot be unistalled even with the Nero 'Cleaning tool' and installed or 'unistalled' it totally messes up your pc and formatting is the only way to get rid of it)

Again any help appreciated

Nevy P

OK

Thanks SKNIS and Jim !!!!

I'll give this a go !!!

..... but i have now got another question for you!

I have made some 'test' DVD's and there is a problem with the audio which stutters and pops on playback

can you give me any ideas on what to do ?

On the whole i think the software is very good (after my very bad experiences with Nero 9 !) but i found that when using it for video duties it is slow to load the various programmes - so i am hoping that future Service Packs will sort out the problems

p.s Jim my pc was fully formatted and OS reinstalled before installing Roxio !!!

(I like millions of others have discovered that Nero 9 cannot be unistalled even with the Nero 'Cleaning tool' and installed or 'unistalled' it totally messes up your pc and formatting is the only way to get rid of it)

Again any help appreciated

Nevy P

Try going to Windows, Start,Run, Type in dxdiag, click OK. When the window opens, go to the audio tab and move the audio slider all the way to the left. try again. You can leave it there unless you have issues with other programs. Sometimes you can find a happy medium. BTY, you may want to see if there are updated drivers for the video card.

Most people will say the same thing about the Roxio programs when it comes to uninstall. If Nero is still installed, you can try to uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller.

Thanks for the help so far !!

I have experimented with the colour panel/overlay video and all is fine !!

One more question ................. please ?

Is it possible to get the colour panel to automatically fit the overlayed video ?

I've been adjusting it manually and it's a bit fiddly !

(I didn't realise at first that they both have to match in lenght - so my first 'production' was extremely short !!! - i.e only the default length of the panel)

Regarding the loading times of the programmes, after disabling both the Online Service and the Adverts (Commercials) on the Start Page i have found that the loading times have speeded up dramatically when switching from one video programme to another !

Now i am just starting to learn how to use Roxio Creator 2009 i am realising what a fantastic piece of software it is !

The video editing capabilities are far superior to Nero 9 !

Thanks in advance for any reply to the above

Nevy P

p.s will experiment with DXDIAG in due course

Edited by Nevy P

Thanks for the help so far !!

I have experimented with the colour panel/overlay video and all is fine !!

One more question ................. please ?

Is it possible to get the colour panel to automatically fit the overlayed video ?

I've been adjusting it manually and it's a bit fiddly !

(I didn't realise at first that they both have to match in lenght - so my first 'production' was extremely short !!! - i.e only the default length of the panel)

Just make the color panel slightly longer. In timeline view, select the color panel track (dotted line around the panel) and place your cursor at the end of that track and about half way up, the icon should change to a double headed arrow, just click, hold and drag that to the left (or right if it is too short) to match the overlay track. You can expand or contract the time line to help with this.

I have done this by selecting the Panel, and place the scrubber as close as I can to the end of the overlay.

Then use the wheel or the frame button to advance to the end of the overlay.

Once there, Split – select the unneeded portion and delete.

It is precise however, if you need to go back and tinker later, you will have to go through it all over again… Isn't it better to leave a few seconds of blank Panel showing???