• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capture File Type? Wmv, Avi, Mp4, Mpeg ?

Robo983

Question

I have bought a retail package of 2009 but have not opened the package pending confirmation it will do a few of the things I want it too since there is no trial version. I have been a long time Nero user but their botched roll out of 2009 has me looking for a new product.

I have searched and read but can not find what file type options Roxio captures video from a miniDV camcorder via a Firewire port. I have seen reverences to quality and AVI but not what file type options are available during capture.

Q1

Can I capture video directly to WMV9 format and what others are possible? I am interested most in WMV9 for file tagging capabilities and compatibility to stream to XBOX 360.

Q2

Can WMV files be compressed to a target size by Roxio? I see that WMV is an output file type but that doesn't mean it can compress them.

My most humble appologies if I should have asked the sales team 1st to answer this mundane question instead of the Forum gurus that probably use it everyday.

3 answers to this question

I have bought a retail package of 2009 but have not opened the package pending confirmation it will do a few of the things I want it too since there is no trial version. I have been a long time Nero user but their botched roll out of 2009 has me looking for a new product.

I have searched and read but can not find what file type options Roxio captures video from a miniDV camcorder via a Firewire port. I have seen reverences to quality and AVI but not what file type options are available during capture.

Q1

Can I capture video directly to WMV9 format and what others are possible? I am interested most in WMV9 for file tagging capabilities and compatibility to stream to XBOX 360.

Q2

Can WMV files be compressed to a target size by Roxio? I see that WMV is an output file type but that doesn't mean it can compress them.

My most humble appologies if I should have asked the sales team 1st to answer this mundane question instead of the Forum gurus that probably use it everyday.

C2009 capture from DV camcorders (tape) via Firewire to either DV avi or Mpeg-2. There is no capture to wmv. There is no problem compressing captured video to all sorts of wmv "qualities"

post-103-1236114272.jpg post-103-1236114279.jpg

No apology needed, you will probably get better answers here!

Q1: NO – not directly, capture allows AVI or MPEG2 or MPEG1 if you want…

Q2: NO – not by Size. You can set up a custom setting for frame size and mbps. Length would then determine the file size.

I don't do any of this but it seems pretty straightforward to capture at mpeg and use either the SyncIt software or the VideoWave to re-render to what you need.

Thanks to both of you.

Q1- I guess since I am now using Windows Movie Maker to capture in WMV for free it is not a big deal but I was hoping to avoid a second step to compress since I just intend to leave on a HD and do off site back ups. From what I remember MPEG2 is still a fairly large file.

Q1- This will work and even sounds more robust than what I am use to for output formats.