• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rlinsurf1

Cannot Format Dvd

Question

What I am using:

Memorex DVD-RW 4x

Plextor PX-716UF drive

Roxio Easy Media Creator 7

I want to burn a DVD-RW but everytime I try to I get an error message saying "The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."

Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and my computer recognize it's a blank disc.

When I try to format the DVD-RW a message saying "Format operation on drive D:\ failed. The drive failed to process a command."

What I am using:

Memorex DVD-RW 4x

Plextor PX-716UF drive

I want to burn a DVD-RW but everytime I try to I get an error message saying "The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."

When I try to format the DVD-RW a message saying "Format operation on drive D:\ failed. The drive failed to process a command."

Perhaps try a different brand, Verbatim, for example. Memorex has a less than stellar reputation for quality, at least in this board.

Edited by Syrallas

What I am using:

Memorex DVD-RW 4x

Plextor PX-716UF drive

What program, in the suite, are you using, and why are you trying to format the disc?

Your DVD-RW quite possibly, has outlived it usefulness.

What program, in the suite, are you using, and why are you trying to format the disc?

Your DVD-RW quite possibly, has outlived it usefulness.

I'm using Drag-To-Disc. I am trying to format the DVD-RWs because that's what the program tells me to do. The DVD-RWs are brand new.

A. Memorex is one of the least realiable brands of recording media available, based on posts to the Forums.

B. Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, etc) is one of the least-relliable long-term archiving programs available, altho it's ok for short-term usage like transferring files from one comptuer to another when the original is safely on the originating computer and there are no other options - such as a Flash drive - available. When used with RW media, it is even less reliable.

C. Further info in this post pinned to the top of this Forum -

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=12382

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

Yes, I'm trying to transfer data from one computer to another.

What operating system are you using? Do you have Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Media Player 11 installed? If you do, therein is the likely culprit.

Also, do you have any other packet writing software such as Nero's InCD, or Sonic's DLA installed? If you have more than one packet writing program on your comptuer, they will conflict.

How about making a data disc using Creator Classic - discs are cheap these days, and that would mean that you end up with your data backed up on disc as well as on your Hard Drive - I've had a Hard Drive fail and take everything with it.

Lynn

I don't have Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Media Player 11 or any other packet writing software.

Have you updated the firmware for your DVD burner? What is the make and model of your burner?

Have you updated the firmware for your DVD burner? What is the make and model of your burner?

My Plextor drive has all the updated firmware.

My Plextor drive has all the updated firmware.

Can you burn a DVD with Creator Classic? Have you tried other DVDs that you have?

Can you burn a DVD with Creator Classic? Have you tried other DVDs that you have?

I am trying that right now. It will take awhile since my computer is slow. I don't have any other type of DVDs

I tried Creator Classic and it doesn't work.

"doesn't work" tell us nothing. Give us some details of what you are trying to do. The more info you give us the sooner we can try to help. Did you try a different brand of DVD's, When you tried Creator Classic did you receive any errors, details,details.

Maybe a step by step of what you are trying to do.

"doesn't work" tell us nothing. Give us some details of what you are trying to do. The more info you give us the sooner we can try to help. Did you try a different brand of DVD's, When you tried Creator Classic did you receive any errors, details,details.

Maybe a step by step of what you are trying to do.

I got two errors saying 'D: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A ("Seek, synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Hardware error." [04/09/02]' The DVD-RW was then ejected from the drive.

I am trying to store info on a disk so I can transfer it to another computer. I did not try a different brand of DVDs because I don't have any.

Edited by rlinsurf1

I got two errors saying 'D: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A ("Seek, synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Hardware error." [04/09/02]' The DVD-RW was then ejected from the drive.

I am trying to store info on a disk so I can transfer it to another computer. I did not try a different brand of DVDs because I don't have any.

Either the burner is reaching the end of its career, or it is having trouble with recognizing the media, which could be caused by the media being bad (hence the suggestion to try a different brand...already suggested in earlier post).

Make sure your firmware for the burner is updated. If it is, then go to Device Manager, delete your burner, reboot, and see if the problem is solved.

SK 4, ASC 09, ASCQ 02 is the error message the drive gives to the computer to signal a focus servo failure.

If your drive can't focus on the disc any more, nothing good is going to happen. I believe it's time you considered a new burner.

The Plextor PX-716A was a good burner, for awhile. I had one, and it died completely, 14 months after I got it, and I didn't burn very many DVDs with it. Possibly 40. You can try some +R discs, but it is possible that your Plextor croaked.

I guess I'll have to try other DVDs. I used the CDBurnerXP software and it said the DVDs could be poor quality.

Why don't you get an external (USB) DVD burner. You can use it now and also with that new computer?

I guess I'll have to try other DVDs. I used the CDBurnerXP software and it said the DVDs could be poor quality.

The built in XP burning software can't burn to a DVD. It can only burn CD's.

For goodness' sake, Rlinsurf1, your drive has told you that it's naffed! [see post #18]

If you don't want to believe me, then believe your drive. Still, I guess it's your time and money you're wasting and not ours . . . .

You're welcome.

The Plextor PX-716UF is external.

CDBurnerXP is a free software program. It is not made by Microsoft.

I don't know how my drive can be dead when it plays everything else and I only used it a couple times before. When I have Data Disk open in Creator Classic and put a DVD-RW in the drive at the bottom left corner of the Creator Classic program it recognizes that it's a DVD-RW. I found this answer on another message board concerning Focus Servo Failure.

The "Focus servo failure" message is a hardware error. It can be caused by the following:

POOR MEDIA - Try more than one brand of CD-R media to rule this out as cause.

POOR POWER - The power to your recorder could be fluctuating. If you have an internal recorder, try a different power connector and make sure it's not being shared by any other devices. If you have an external recorder, if possible, remove it from the external chassis and connect it to your system as an internal recorder. If this resolves your issue, you need to replace or repair the power source in your external chassis.

MESSED UP OPTICAL HEAD - is dirty, needs alignment, or recorders circuit board has an open coil - please contact your recorder manufacturer to service your unit.

The fact that a drive can play anything is totally irrelevant for burning - the laser intensity is different by several orders of magnitude

You have a hardware problem - believe me