OEM burner?

malatekid

Question

4 answers to this question

I don't want to apply the NEC's firmware update for the fear of damaging the burner.

That's the problem and why in the future I suggest a retail drive from a drive manufacture.

In the case of rebadged NEC drives, you should download a STOCK (official firmware) from their site. MadDog TDK and HP are three such OEM resellers who rebadge NEC drives.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=120934

Good reading but no mention of LaCie. Cross flashing is discussed.

cdanteek

Cheap OEM's don't bother to do anything to make the drive there's.

Example LiteOn makes Sony drives. Sony drives show up as Sony and they post there own firmware. People do cross flash them with LiteOn firmware.

Plextor drives since 716 BenQ have made but show up as Plextor and Plextor posts there firmware.

Cheap OEM's do nothing the sticker on top of the drive will say Iomagic, when you just bought it at Staples, but like you found out its a NEC.

Buy a retail drive from someone that makes or supports the drives they sell. Three makers I would pick are Pioneer,BenQ,Nec.

I hope this helps and go internal over USB if possible.

cdanteek

Cheap OEM's don't bother to do anything to make the drive there's.

Example LiteOn makes Sony drives. Sony drives show up as Sony and they post there own firmware. People do cross flash them with LiteOn firmware.

Plextor drives since 716 BenQ have made but show up as Plextor and Plextor posts there firmware.

Cheap OEM's do nothing the sticker on top of the drive will say Iomagic, when you just bought it at Staples, but like you found out its a NEC.

Buy a retail drive from someone that makes or supports the drives they sell. Three makers I would pick are Pioneer,BenQ,Nec.

I hope this helps and go internal over USB if possible.

cdanteek

The reason for asking if it is an OEM is that I don't find any firmware update to my Lacie-packaged burner (that has the NEC ND-3520a id) in the Lacie website but found one in the NEC website that says not to apply the firmware update it has to OEM burner. I don't get any response from my inquiry to Lacie. Also, Lacie does not sell anymore the model I have.

I don't want to apply the NEC's firmware update for the fear of damaging the burner.

Archived