jpc

Vinyl To Cd

Question

I,m trying to copy my vinyls to cd. It creates a m*.mp3 file but I paly it theresis no sound. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

I,m trying to copy my vinyls to cd. It creates a m*.mp3 file but I paly it theresis no sound. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

post-208-1236236275.jpg

Sorry, I looked into it and shook it and listened to it, but it still didn't tell me what software you have and how you were using it to make these soundless MP3 files.

Would YOU tell me that information please, so we can see where you might have gone wrong or how to make the MP3s work properly? Please go into lots of details.

Regards,

Brendon

post-208-1236236275.jpg

Sorry, I looked into it and shook it and listened to it, but it still didn't tell me what software you have and how you were using it to make these soundless MP3 files.

Would YOU tell me that information please, so we can see where you might have gone wrong or how to make the MP3s work properly? Please go into lots of details.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks for your time. I'm using "ROXIO EASY VHS to DVD" software which is suppose to be able to convert vinyls to CD and the instructions are in the booklet included with the software. My thinking is that my connections to my RECEIVER and TURNTABLE are not done properly. I'm going to try give as much detail as I can regarding my connections. The RECEIVER is a TOSHIBA TMC-7540. I connected my turntable to ''INPUT === PHONO". I connected my computer to "TAPE === REC". I conncted my USB KEY(which contains the software) to "INPUT === AUX". Then I followed the instrctions in the booklet. It creates the MP3 file but no sound. Hoping this is detailed enough...Thanks again!!! JP

You should have your Turntable connected to the Phono In.

You should have an RCA cable going from the Tape Rec to the USB capture device.

You should have the USB device plugged into your computer.

If you don't have the capture device you should be able to take the RCA's from the tape rec to a Y cable that has RCA's on one end and a mini plug on the other.The mini end would then go to Line in on your sound card.

The software then needs to be set to use Line In instead of the capture device.

When you actually make the mp3's do you see the meters moving on the capture screen?

If not then you'll get a blank recording because you weren't getting any input.

Edited by tbrewst

Must be talking in code??? :lol:

What is your Operating System?

Do you see the blue sound level bars moving in Audio Capture?

post-39730-1236272956.jpg

That is important because if they aren't moving, it ain't working.

Do you have the Red and White RCA plugs connected to the Capture Device?

Is the capture device plugged into the back of your PC?

What happens when it is plugged in? What does Windows have to say about it?

Look at cdanteek's pinned post above to confirm you have the drivers installed correctly.

Must be talking in code??? :lol:

What is your Operating System?

Do you see the blue sound level bars moving in Audio Capture?

post-39730-1236272956.jpg

That is important because if they aren't moving, it ain't working.

Do you have the Red and White RCA plugs connected to the Capture Device?

Is the capture device plugged into the back of your PC?

What happens when it is plugged in? What does Windows have to say about it?

Look at cdanteek's pinned post above to confirm you have the drivers installed correctly.

Is the Capture Device the USB Key with the software on it, if not what is it.

That USB Key is plugued into the USB ports, is that OK.....Thanks!!! JP

[edited to remove reply from quote]

You should have your Turntable connected to the Phono In.

You should have an RCA cable going from the Tape Rec to the USB capture device.

You should have the USB device plugged into your computer.

If you don't have the capture device you should be able to take the RCA's from the tape rec to a Y cable that has RCA's on one end and a mini plug on the other.The mini end would then go to Line in on your sound card.

The software then needs to be set to use Line In instead of the capture device.

When you actually make the mp3's do you see the meters moving on the capture screen?

If not then you'll get a blank recording because you weren't getting any input.

No the meters are not moving.

Edited by Brendon

No the meters are not moving.

NOT A KEY…

That is the Roxio Video Capture USB device. There is no software ware inside of it, it is an Analogue to Digital converter.

Please answer the other questions asked, they are kind of important.

The AUDIO cables from your turntable should be connected to the center [red and white] connectors on the adapter, which should be plugged into the back of the USB device.

post-208-1236290240.jpg

NOT A KEY…

That is the Roxio Video Capture USB device. There is no software ware inside of it, it is an Analogue to Digital converter.

I'm using VISTA. I don't see the blue bars. I'm sorry but I still don't what you mean by the CAPTURE DEVICE. With VISTA I can't specify the LINE like you have on your DESIGN EXAMPLE. Thanks for patience....JP

Check the volume control settings - right click and go to Audio Properties - you should have the Line In settings in that and possibly they are muted

By default, the volume control doesn't show Line In - you have to manually add that to the list of sliders

NOT A KEY…

I'm using VISTA. I don't see the blue bars. I'm sorry but I still don't what you mean by the CAPTURE DEVICE. With VISTA I can't specify the LINE like you have on your DESIGN EXAMPLE. Thanks for patience....JP

I'm using VISTA. I don't see the blue bars. I'm sorry but I still don't what you mean by the CAPTURE DEVICE.

If you don't see the blue bars, then you're not getting audio in through the capture device.

The Capture Device ?? It's the black thing with Roxio video capture USB on it.

post-208-1236337627.jpg

The AUDIO cables from your turntable should be connected to the center [red and white] connectors on the adapter, which should be plugged into the back of the USB device.

post-208-1236290240.jpg

Are you telling me that I shouldn't go through my RECEIVER....that the turntable should no t be connected to the RECEIVER but directly to the adapter.

Your music source is a turntable? It will probably be connected to an amplifier which will feed speakers, because the signal from the pickup capsule on the end of the turntable arm is too weak to use unamplified.

You need to take a feed from somewhere along that chain [turntable-amp-speakers] where the levels are right, and connect it to the double audio lead [red and white] of the Roxio adapter.

The adapter should be plugged into the small socket on the back of the Roxio Capture device, which should be plugged into a suitable USB socket in your computer.

If you have "Line Out" sockets on your amplifier, that's usually a good place to get an audio feed from.

Your music source is a turntable? It will probably be connected to an amplifier which will feed speakers, because the signal from the pickup capsule on the end of the turntable arm is too weak to use unamplified.

You need to take a feed from somewhere along that chain [turntable-amp-speakers] where the levels are right, and connect it to the double audio lead [red and white] of the Roxio adapter.

The adapter should be plugged into the small socket on the back of the Roxio Capture device, which should be plugged into a suitable USB socket in your computer.

If you have "Line Out" sockets on your amplifier, that's usually a good place to get an audio feed from.

What I do have on my amplifier is: under INPUT === PHOTO sockets (RED & WHITE)

=== AUX sockets (RED & WHITE)

under TAPE === REC sockets (RED & WHITE)

=== PLAY sockets (RED & WHITE)

Is anyone of these considered LINE OUT? If not maybe my amplifieer is unusable for this procedure. The only other connections I have beside these on the amplifier are for the SPEAKERS...are these considered LINE OUT.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR PATIENCE... I know I must sound like I'm stupid, but I'm really trying to understand here!!!! JP

Is anyone of these considered LINE OUT? If not maybe my amplifieer is unusable for this procedure. The only other connections I have beside these on the amplifier are for the SPEAKERS...are these considered LINE OUT.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR PATIENCE... I know I must sound like I'm stupid, but I'm really trying to understand here!!!! JP

If you have a users manual for your Toshiba receiver, look in there and see if you can find a OUT jack.

Is anyone of these considered LINE OUT?

Red and white sockets/plugs are usually Audio, red=right channel, white=left.

Not knowing your amplifier I'd be guessing, but I'd look at the Tape Play sockets first. The manual would be the best to consult if you have/can find one.

I covered that all the way back in post #4.

You should be able to plug a cable to the Tape-Rec jacks and get a line level signal.Record should be what is feeding the signal out to the tape deck.Play should be an in,bringing music from the tape deck.If Record doesn't work then try Play.

If you connect that just like it shows in Brendon's pics and then plug the device into your computer (one of the back USB ports) it should work.

If it doesn't work then a couple things could be wrong.

In Vista's Device Manager do you see the device?If not then the drivers aren't loaded and it will never work.

If you do see it is there a yellow Exclamation mark?

If all looks good there then the device itself should work.

I covered that all the way back in post #4.

You should be able to plug a cable to the Tape-Rec jacks and get a line level signal.Record should be what is feeding the signal out to the tape deck.Play should be an in,bringing music from the tape deck.If Record doesn't work then try Play.

If you connect that just like it shows in Brendon's pics and then plug the device into your computer (one of the back USB ports) it should work.

If it doesn't work then a couple things could be wrong.

In Vista's Device Manager do you see the device?If not then the drivers aren't loaded and it will never work.

If you do see it is there a yellow Exclamation mark?

If all looks good there then the device itself should work.

Good morning to BRENDON, TBREWST, OGDENS, GI7OMY, and JIM_HARDIN...

What I did is I disconnected everything, uninstalled everything and started over. When I re-installed and re-connected, instead of using the USB plugin on my screen which is, I think, an extension to the USB plugin at the back of the computer box itself, I connected directly to the back of the box's USB... "AND WOWWW" IT WORKED !!!!!!!

So, I want to THANK EVERYONE for your patience and your perseverance trying to help A POOR HELPLESS COMPUTER ILLETERATE person like ME.

One thing I'de like to know...are you guys working for ROXIO or are you chat people trying to help...if so WOW.

Thanks again... JP

NOTE: I you any help, feel free to contact me...HA!HA!HA!

Good morning to BRENDON, TBREWST, OGDENS, GI7OMY, and JIM_HARDIN...

What I did is I disconnected everything, uninstalled everything and started over. When I re-installed and re-connected, instead of using the USB plugin on my screen which is, I think, an extension to the USB plugin at the back of the computer box itself, I connected directly to the back of the box's USB... "AND WOWWW" IT WORKED !!!!!!!

So, I want to THANK EVERYONE for your patience and your perseverance trying to help A POOR HELPLESS COMPUTER ILLETERATE person like ME.

One thing I'de like to know...are you guys working for ROXIO or are you chat people trying to help...if so WOW.

Thanks again... JP

NOTE: I you any help, feel free to contact me...HA!HA!HA!

I meant.....NOTE: If you need any help, feel free to contact me...HA!HA!HA!

When I re-installed and re-connected, instead of using the USB plugin on my screen which is, I think, an extension to the USB plugin at the back of the computer box itself, I connected directly to the back of the box's USB... "AND WOWWW" IT WORKED !!!!!!!

You were using a USB port on your monitor to capture with and wondered why it didn't work! :rolleyes:

cd

You were using a USB port on your monitor to capture with and wondered why it didn't work! :rolleyes:

cd

I also want to thank....Newbie and cdanteek

JP

cd

Tell me why....

Tell me why....

I use it to write to USB Key

Tell me why....

I use it to write to USB Key

Because USB ports on monitors and keyboards typically only function as USB 1.1 ports. The Roxio USB capture device (and any other USB capture device for that matter) requires the port they are connected to to be USB 2.0 That's also why it's recommended to connect it to the back ports on a pc not the front ones. Which is why the question was asked (but you never seemed to answer) back in post #5 if you had it plugged into one of the ports on the back of your pc.

A 1.1 port is fine for a USB key (a.k.a. flash, jump, thumb, etc..) drive as all you are doing is writing data to it, so it's slower transfer rate doesn't matter. It's worthless tho for capturing data such as a video stream.

Edited by Larry

. . . and to answer your other question, none of us work for Roxio. We're fellow-customers trying to be helpful.

Cheers,

Brendon

. . . and to answer your other question, none of us work for Roxio. We're fellow-customers trying to be helpful.

Cheers,

Brendon

Last question...Why do I get an error trying to open the *.JPG files included in your responses....THanks!! JP

I don't know, JP. I just went back and checked them and they seem all right. What error do you get?

Can you open/see Jim's one in post #3 without problems?

Brendon