• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Error Message "Cannot Create Creator! Error returned 0x80040154"

I have installed/uninstalled this program several times and the message keeps comming up "Cannot Create Creator! Error returned 0x80040154". I've searched almost every discussion on this subject and I think i found a new one. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition on my Dell 4550 Dimension Desktop computer I don't know if this helps. I've already tried the patch or update and still nothing happens (same error message comes up). I have a disk that came with it to install this program and it will not reinstall. I had to reset my computer because of some problems and since then I cannot get this program back in??? Any Comments?? Is this a new one??

I have installed/uninstalled this program several times and the message keeps comming up "Cannot Create Creator! Error returned 0x80040154". I've searched almost every discussion on this subject and I think i found a new one. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition on my Dell 4550 Dimension Desktop computer I don't know if this helps. I've already tried the patch or update and still nothing happens (same error message comes up). I have a disk that came with it to install this program and it will not reinstall. I had to reset my computer because of some problems and since then I cannot get this program back in??? Any Comments?? Is this a new one??

A couple possiblities -

You say you have WinXP. When Microsoft added SP2, they made a lot of changes - not all of which were compatible with ECDC 5. Officially, it is not supported with WinXP SP2. Some people have manged to get it to work, but not everone.

You have a Dell, therefore you have the Dell-modified Version, and support comes from Dell. The Dell Patch has helped many reconcile WinxP SP2 and ECDC 5, but you say it isn't working for you. (The one from the link pinned to the top of the board - I'm assuming Dell hasn't moved the link again.)

Do you have any other burning software on the computer? Windows Media Player 7.01 or higher can kill ECDC 5 (and you probably have WinPlayer 9 or 10 with WinXP - WinPlayer 9 doesn't come out short of reformatting the Hard Drive). Also, Music Match and Real Players with Roxio plugins can kill ECDC 5. It is usually these (or in Windows XP a permissions error) and NOT the Klez virus which cause engine initialization errors.

Newer RealPlayer versions use the same Adaptec burning engine as ECDC 5. When you add RealPlayer 9 or 10, it uses some of the same file names (with different contents) and registry key names (with different information) as ECDC 5. Therefore, ECDC 5 can't use the files and doesn't work. It depends on which you would rather keep. If you'd rather keep ECDC 5, uninstall the RealPlayer, clean it out with Roxizap or a "clean uninstall" (using the Microsoft Uninstall will leave bits and pieces), and re-install ECDC.

Keep in mind that this 1999 program hasn't had any updates (unless OEM updates by Dell, in your case) since April 2003. (The last burner Drive-up patch was December 2004 and burners newer than that aren't going to be recognized.) If ECDC 5 is encountering interference from another burning program, it might be time to move on.

Lynn

Any Comments?? Is this a new one??

No, it's an old one.

-uninstall through the Control Panel Add/Remove programs applet

-clean the system of debris with the Roxio uninstaller, Roxizap (see Frequent Answers above, for that program)

-reinstall ECDC5 from the CD, DON'T RESTART the machine

-apply the big updater, and THEN restart the machine

Did you follow brendon's instructions exactly, it is important.

Yes exactly!! The program install and the error message only appears when trying to run the program. When I try to use the updater/patch theres another message that comes up. This one says "Install failed! We recommend you reinstall Roxio Product(s), then try this install again."

Any ideas on this one??????

Yes exactly!! The program install and the error message only appears when trying to run the program. When I try to use the updater/patch theres another message that comes up. This one says "Install failed! We recommend you reinstall Roxio Product(s), then try this install again."

As has been said more than once, ECDC 5 is a 1999 program. When WinXP SP2 was issued, Microsoft made a lot of changes (to improve security) which cause problems with ECDC 5. Officially, ECDC 5 is NOT supported with WinXP SP2.

As an OEM distributor, Dell made changs to ECDC 5 which allows it to run with Dell's version of WinXP SP2. It is possible that when you tried to re-install, you deleted those Dell changes.

Officially, when you have an OEM Version (one the Original Equipment Mfgr has bought the rights to and can make changs to), it is the supplier (in this case, Dell) who is responsible for support.

So at this point I would say, if Dell can't help you, you may need to use a newer burning software if the built-in WinXP ability to create data and music CDs isn't enough.

Lynn

When you followed brendons instructions, were did you get the updater/patch from (not Roxio I hope). You have a Dell OEM version(as lynn has already covered ), so you need the Dell patch http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=161

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

Archived