• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Please help--is this just life with Roxio?

pgrlga

Question

It seems whenever I am putting together a slideshow using my photos and video, my computer is constantly crashing, stalling out, and occasionally I see the dreaded blue screen.

I have just purchased a new computer, as it seemed the old one had a dying hard drive. I was running 7.5 on the old computer, quite unsuccessfully--so new computer, new software, and I upgraded, repurchased, that is, version 8. My new computer is a Dell Inspiron loaded with plenty of memory, I just can't imagine that would be the problem. But I still find myself stalled out and having to close down and often reboot my computer---though I am only trimming video, adding files to a slideshow, etc, I haven't attempted anything complicated!

I am very new to this, so please let me know if I need to pass on further information, but is this a bug that can be fixed? I just can't imagine that everyone that uses this program sits through the delays of having to start over....

Please help and sorry to ramble!

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

It seems whenever I am putting together a slideshow using my photos and video, my computer is constantly crashing, stalling out, and occasionally I see the dreaded blue screen.

I have just purchased a new computer, as it seemed the old one had a dying hard drive. I was running 7.5 on the old computer, quite unsuccessfully--so new computer, new software, and I upgraded, repurchased, that is, version 8. My new computer is a Dell Inspiron loaded with plenty of memory, I just can't imagine that would be the problem. But I still find myself stalled out and having to close down and often reboot my computer---though I am only trimming video, adding files to a slideshow, etc, I haven't attempted anything complicated!

I am very new to this, so please let me know if I need to pass on further information, but is this a bug that can be fixed? I just can't imagine that everyone that uses this program sits through the delays of having to start over....

Please help and sorry to ramble!

Thanks!

Since you just got a new system, did your Dell come with Sonic preintalled? If so, you should remove it or at the very least, remove Sonic DLA as installing it with Drag to Disc can cause problems. However, usually the problems are BSD's and lockups and not importing files.

Try that first then we can see if there are other problems.

Since you just got a new system, did your Dell come with Sonic preintalled? If so, you should remove it or at the very least, remove Sonic DLA as installing it with Drag to Disc can cause problems. However, usually the problems are BSD's and lockups and not importing files.

Try that first then we can see if there are other problems.

Yes it did come with Sonic preinstalled. I will remove that first and then report back! :)

It may be awhile before I get back though-I have very limited computer time these days!

Thanks so much for being willing to help!

Okay I just started deleting all the Sonic related programs from my computer, but when I try to delete Sonic DVD Plus I get a message that indicates that the installation package cannot be found and then that there was a fatal error in installation--I am not very good at this stuff, so what do I do next?

Sorry to be dense.

Yes it did come with Sonic preinstalled. I will remove that first and then report back! :)

It may be awhile before I get back though-I have very limited computer time these days!

Thanks so much for being willing to help!

Okay I just started deleting all the Sonic related programs from my computer, but when I try to delete Sonic DVD Plus I get a message that indicates that the installation package cannot be found and then that there was a fatal error in installation--I am not very good at this stuff, so what do I do next?

Sorry to be dense.

It's possible that the EMC installation (which is owned by Sonic) made some changes to some software. Actually, the safest thing to do is to remove EMC and the preinstalled software, remove all the folders, then reinstall v 8. If you ever want to go back to what was installed, you can always do so. The software Dell gives you is a 'lighter' version and can't do all the things that EMC does.

If you have anything you want saved before you uninstall EMC8, you should be sure to save it on a disc or somewhere else on your hard drive.

If you are unsure of how to do this, you should ask a friend who's computer savy to help you.

I just wanted to get back and thank you! So far so good after deleting the Sonic stuff and reinstalling Roxio 8 plus updates.

I haven't done much, but it seems to be better anyway!

I have been around searching for answers to other questions--I see that it is helpful to list my technical information in posts--what exactly is relevent here? I appreciate everyone's time and want to be sure when I am here, I don't waste anyone's time or the chance to get an answer by not providing the right information--any help is appreciated!

I'll be back I'm sure. :)

Thanks again!

It's possible that the EMC installation (which is owned by Sonic) made some changes to some software. Actually, the safest thing to do is to remove EMC and the preinstalled software, remove all the folders, then reinstall v 8. If you ever want to go back to what was installed, you can always do so. The software Dell gives you is a 'lighter' version and can't do all the things that EMC does.

If you have anything you want saved before you uninstall EMC8, you should be sure to save it on a disc or somewhere else on your hard drive.

If you are unsure of how to do this, you should ask a friend who's computer savy to help you.

Okay, I will try it!

Also, I have put all my video and image files onto a Firelite and have been trying to use them from there--would I be better off using them straight off my hard drive? My husband suggested that there could be a port issue, as that was one of the messages I received. He's heard enough about Roxio for the time being, so here I am! :)

Thanks again! I will do my installing/uninstalling before I ask any more questions!

Okay, I will try it!

Also, I have put all my video and image files onto a Firelite and have been trying to use them from there--would I be better off using them straight off my hard drive? My husband suggested that there could be a port issue, as that was one of the messages I received. He's heard enough about Roxio for the time being, so here I am! :)

Thanks again! I will do my installing/uninstalling before I ask any more questions!

I would definitely use the files from the hard drive instead of a portable drive until you make sure what your problem is.

No power cord needed

Both FireWire and USB 2.0 models are bus powered, meaning they can be powered directly through the FireWire or USB 2.0 cable used to connect them to your computer. For portability, this is the utmost in conveniencejust plug it in and start using it! For configurations that do not supply sufficient cable power, FireLite can operate from an optional AC adapter.

That is from their website. Using external hard drives is fine, but I highly recommend using the AC power adapter. If you have more than one USB device plugged in, one of them could be drawing too much power causing errors and communication failure. For example, I can't have my Minolta slide scanner and my USB2 web cam plugged in at the same time. The webcam draws too much power causing the scanner to fail which has its own power.

If you don' t have the optional AC adapter, you may have to unplug all the other USB devices.

More fun things to try! Thanks!

I'll be back in the next day or two to let you know how we're doing!!

Thanks again--I feel so stupid--I am not very computer literate but love to play with my pics and video!

I'll let you know if anything worked!

Archived