• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Coaster toaster

peterg8

I have a challenging question that is the exact opposite to the one that I think is in the thread below it (depending on timing).

After all the tales users who ended up writing disks that were good for nothing but coasters or for more imaginative uses, and in light of all of the experts and programs that can reputedly recover data from disks, how can users best destroy disks they want to dispose of but that may contain recoverable data?

Paper people use shredders. I have blowtorches, paint strippers, tinsnips, lopping shears and even a meat cleaver, but if you want to get rid of old disks, what is a handy and practical way to do it? No fumes please.

I have a challenging question that is the exact opposite to the one that I think is in the thread below it (depending on timing).

After all the tales users who ended up writing disks that were good for nothing but coasters or for more imaginative uses, and in light of all of the experts and programs that can reputedly recover data from disks, how can users best destroy disks they want to dispose of but that may contain recoverable data?

Paper people use shredders. I have blowtorches, paint strippers, tinsnips, lopping shears and even a meat cleaver, but if you want to get rid of old disks, what is a handy and practical way to do it? No fumes please.

Take some coarse sandpaper to the top surface of the disc and ruin the top coat, the reflective surface and the dye layer. That'll wipe it out pretty thoroughly. All your data is really in the dye layer. No dye, no data.

Of course, the microwave is also entertaining to watch the light show across the top of the discs... but there are fumes involved.

Hope that helps!

Helo Peter,

I do it like this:

-half a cup/mug of water in the microwave oven (protects the oven from running without load)

-DVD/CD placed on top of the cup/mug

-3 seconds of power on

The timing isn't crucial. The disc will arc nearest the hub, and the sparks will run out to the edge. Hit the stop button a second or so after you see the first sparks. Ruinning the power too long will make a burning smell.

This doesn't damage the microwave oven, but even the CIA and NSA combined couldn't recover your data off the disc.

This is copied from a post I did in early January - shd be interesting, if nothing else -

You can always reuse the CDs -

http://www.iwma.com/directory-aj/compactdisks.html

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discs/recyclecds.html

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html (go to question 7-9)

This should absorb at least some of your surplus.

Lynn

The disc will arc nearest the hub, and the sparks will run out to the edge.

Case Study: America Online CD-ROMs

It should be noted that most music CDs and commercial CD-ROMs behave similar to the CD-ROMs shown below when microwaved. Click on the pictures for a 6x magnification detail view.

http://www.psychicgoldfish.com/sub_page/wh...rocd/cd-aol.htm

Hadn't scrolled down - an additon to the earlier post -

You can them and lay them on flat surface touching each other and super-glue a second layer on top to fill most gaps and a third for all gaps. Use it as a wall or ?

It you leave them is the sun (before glueing) for a few months, the labels will wash of with a garden hose and jet nossle.

It will be shiny on both sides.

Leave them exposed a long time, the refective stuff comes of to and you have clear discs and some with a tint depending on the maker.

All of the above is even better and much stronger ( the super glue binds very fast and strong) with 5.25 hard drive discs ( smaller discs work the same to) and no weathering is needed. You can use it as a giant none glass mirror. Watch the smudges from human fingers, they are permanent

Cheers:

David

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=132

Lynn

but if you want to get rid of old disks, what is a handy and practical way to do it? No fumes please.

I have found that using a pair of old scissors works fine. I just cut into the disc 3 or 4 places. Don't have to cut in two. Just make it so the disc can't be inserted.

Can always put on a pair of work gloves and break the disc in two pieces. And of course, there are relatively inexpensive disc shedders for the ultimate destroy.

Thanks to all for the fun answers as well as the serious. Some of the links proved very interesting.

I guess if you have a lot of them, or expect to be in business for a long time, a CD/DVD mechanical 'wrecker' would be best, and if a market exists and is recognized, manufacturers will offer such devices at a reasonable price.

Archived