• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can I Record 5 Short Films Onto 1 Dvdr

polar33

Have used Roxio for the first time today having never recorded onto dvdr before and am amazed that I cannot record more than one dvd onto a dvdr. I have several dvds that are only 10 minutes long and want to put them all onto one dvdr but can't work out how to do it. I tried saving as images but it still only recorded only one of the films. I then tried adding the next film as appendable but it says the disc is not appendable even though I didn't 'close' it and it only has ten minutes recorded on it. Surely there is a way of editing the films together then recording them as one. Any help appreciated.

Technically, you can up to 99 movies. :) As easy as just adding another movie to the menu. That's it. What is more important is TIME. For best quality, have one hour of video on a 4.7GB disc. Almost 2hrs for dual layer, 8.5GB disc.

Video discs are not appendable. You should be using MyDVD to create your menus and burn the video DVD.

Hi, thank you for your reply. Have spent all afternoon on Roxio and didn't even know I had Mydvd, had to click a link for it to open. Well, I've just clicked add movie and my documents came up, the only problem is all the movies I saved are just not there, yet when I go to my documents there they are! Any ideas? I saved them using 'save image'. I think I'll clear everything and start again from the beginning!

Hi, thank you for your reply. Have spent all afternoon on Roxio and didn't even know I had Mydvd, had to click a link for it to open. Well, I've just clicked add movie and my documents came up, the only problem is all the movies I saved are just not there, yet when I go to my documents there they are! Any ideas? I saved them using 'save image'. I think I'll clear everything and start again from the beginning!

You can't add image files to MyDVD. How did you create the image files?

You will have to give us an explanation of exactly what you are doing. How did you get the video from your DVDs to your hard drive? What extensions do your "documents" have? If they have some sort of document extension such as "doc or txt " they will of course never show up as files to be added to a video DVD since they are not media files. As Bruce said Image files" also cannot be added.

On the source DVD, is there a folder called Video_TS and does the folder contains files with extension ifo,bup and vob? If not then what extension do the files have on the DVD?

Hi, thanks for the replies. I really am a newbie I'm afraid I don't understand any of your questions! I've now deleted the images from my documents so I can begin again now that I know about Mydvd. I've just been reading the Roxio instructions again and am still puzzled. So I open Roxio and insert a DVD, then which do I click? copy (to temporary folder) or burn (to hard drive)? Repeat for each dvd. Then do I just go to Mydvd and 'add movies'. Sorry for taking up so much of your time, I've already tried trial and error and failed so will await any helpful instructions.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I really am a newbie I'm afraid I don't understand any of your questions! I've now deleted the images from my documents so I can begin again now that I know about Mydvd. I've just been reading the Roxio instructions again and am still puzzled. So I open Roxio and insert a DVD, then which do I click? copy (to temporary folder) or burn (to hard drive)? Repeat for each dvd. Then do I just go to Mydvd and 'add movies'. Sorry for taking up so much of your time, I've already tried trial and error and failed so will await any helpful instructions.

Put everything you think you know out of your mind and then read/look at this. You can also read this.

If you can't follow those, get someone to help you.

Images are usually picture files. ISO is a special type of image file that has nothing to do with pictures except that it is an exact image of the files that are burned to a DVD.

I guess that I'm confused - where are the movies? Are they on your hard drive or are they on DVD?

Hi, have been trying to work it out all day and still no wiser. I have 5 short films on 5 seperate dvds I want to record onto 1 dvd. I'm afraid your links didn't help as I have Roxio Creator DE, to record a dvd it just has copy to a temporary file or burn image to hardrive. I used burn to hardrive and sent the films to My Documents using global imaging (gi). That is where I got stuck as when I tried to record them via Roxio it only recorded one of the films. I was then told on here to use Mydvd, but when I click on add movie the films do not show up as being in My Documents - yet when I go to My Documents they are there. I deleted them all this morning and started again. I then tried burning the images to hardrive and sending them to My Video folder in My Documents. I clicked add movie and Mydvd says there is nothing in the folder and the format must be wrong. The only other format Roxio gives me when burning to hardrive is ISO (Which I shall try this afternoon). What am I doing wrong? How do I record the dvds onto my computer so I can add to Mydvd? I asked my Brother this morning for his help and he says it's impossible, you can't record more than one dvd onto a dvdr, which really confuses me, surely it should be possible and as easy as recording different songs on a cdr. Thank you for your time in replying.

You are still going about this the wrong way. You can't make an "image" of each of those discs and then combine them.

Basically what you need to do is copy the files from those discs to your hard drive and create a new MyDVD project to add the videos to.

Start by creating a folder on your hard drive for one of the discs. Maybe label it Disc1.

Using Windows explorer, copy the Video_ts folder from the disc to the new folder you made.

Open MyDVD and start a new project.

Select the option to Add a New Movie, navigate to the video_ts folder on your hard drive, and select the video files to add them.

If that works, then follow the same process for the other four discs, adding the video files to your project.

What you need to do is transfer the video files from the DVD to the hard drive like Larry suggests or you can also use Media Import. Since MyDVD can use the VOB file directly, copying the files to the hard drive is much easier. What I would do is create a separate folder for each DVD like disc1, disc2, disc3, etc. Copy the contents of each video_ts folder to those folders. Each of these folders should have files with .ifo, .bup and .vob extensions. Just copy all of the files. Then start your MyDVD project.

Hi, thanks to everyone who has helped. I thought I'd got it all figured out but can't quite get there! I now have all the films in Mydvd as a project, I clicked burn and after 100% encoded had finished I got the error message not enough room in disc destination. I have Mydvd set to fit to disc and it says I am using 2001.2 mb of 4706.1mb and over an hour left in time. I tried removing a film and tried burning again but again the same message. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong now? I'm using a dvdr 120 minute 4.7gb disc.

Hi, thanks to everyone who has helped. I thought I'd got it all figured out but can't quite get there! I now have all the films in Mydvd as a project, I clicked burn and after 100% encoded had finished I got the error message not enough room in disc destination. I have Mydvd set to fit to disc and it says I am using 2001.2 mb of 4706.1mb and over an hour left in time. I tried removing a film and tried burning again but again the same message. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong now? I'm using a dvdr 120 minute 4.7gb disc.

Don't burn to the disc in MYDVD, only burn an .iso image (no disc yet), something like this:

burnisome6.gif

Then, at a later step, burn that image onto your disc w/ Creator

How long in time is your video production? File size means nothing, its the timelength that is important. a Sstandard 4.7GB DV will hold 60 minutes of video at best (HQ) quality. Any longer and the video will be comressed with resulting loss of quality. The method suggested by Syrallas is a workaround for this limitation and still give much better result then using "Fit-to-disc"

Hi, still not there!! I have followed instructions and burnt to ISO (first changing to HQ instead of fit to disc), double clicked on ISO file and Roxio opened, clicked burn and disc shoots out saying not enough room on disc. As far as I can calculate there should be around one and a half hours of movie in mydvd to put on the DVDR, so surely it should fit. Any further ideas? Sorry to keep asking for help, I've spent some time tonight reading through the Roxio help forums but still can't get it right!

Hi, still not there!! I have followed instructions and burnt to ISO (first changing to HQ instead of fit to disc), double clicked on ISO file and Roxio opened, clicked burn and disc shoots out saying not enough room on disc. As far as I can calculate there should be around one and a half hours of movie in mydvd to put on the DVDR, so surely it should fit. Any further ideas? Sorry to keep asking for help, I've spent some time tonight reading through the Roxio help forums but still can't get it right!

No, a 1.5 hour HQ video will not fit on a DVD. The 2 hours that are stated for a 4.7GB DVD refer to a EP (extended play) DVD which will be low quality.

Use Video Copy & Convert to burn the iso file to the DVD.

Ok, I first tried the above method with fit to disc and disc was ejected with not long enough, so I read the burning forum which said change to HQ and then save. So I did, again disc ejected. I will now try with EP and see what happens. But I am rather puzzled, why in Mydvd does it clearly state that I have lots of space and time left on the disc? What is the use of Mydvd/Roxios fit to disc feature if it doesn't 'fit to disc'?

I am now very confused - I have lots of dvdrs with films on that are longer than 60 minutes, so what you are saying is that they are all compressed (?) And what about a TV series it would be crazy to put just one episode per disc! All this is very new to me as I've never recorded on DVDR before and thought it would be simple - a matter of putting your source disc in clicking a button and away you go ....... Thank you again for all your patience and help.

Ok, I first tried the above method with fit to disc and disc was ejected with not long enough, so I read the burning forum which said change to HQ and then save. So I did, again disc ejected. I will now try with EP and see what happens. But I am rather puzzled, why in Mydvd does it clearly state that I have lots of space and time left on the disc? What is the use of Mydvd/Roxios fit to disc feature if it doesn't 'fit to disc'?

I am now very confused - I have lots of dvdrs with films on that are longer than 60 minutes, so what you are saying is that they are all compressed (?) And what about a TV series it would be crazy to put just one episode per disc! All this is very new to me as I've never recorded on DVDR before and thought it would be simple - a matter of putting your source disc in clicking a button and away you go ....... Thank you again for all your patience and help.

Are you formatting the disc before you are using them? Don't, just put them in the burner. This thread is getting long so I may have missed how much free and defragged space you have on your hard drive. Are you encoding to you system drive (usually C:), to a partition, or an external drive?

Please be more precise, are you saving, burning to, encoding or ??? Have you already burned something to the disc you are trying to use? Unless it is a Rw and have erased it, you cannot use it again.

1) When you make the ISO (image) file, uncheck the burn to disc option and select HQ. That way, your computer will not look for a disc. If it does, you application is screwed up.

2) Discs costs about 30 cents each so having only one or so hours on a disc is not a great economic loss. If you are luck and take out all the commercials, you can probably get 2 one hour programs on one disc, double that if you use double layer and your burner will burn DL discs.

3) All software will be the same on how much you can put on one disc.

4) Movie makers press the discs and they are double sided. Blue-ray discs are different but expensive and you would need a blu-ray burner.

5) If you have a DVD player that will handle the format, you can put a lot of hours on a disc of you use highly compressed format such as DivX or XVid.

It appears that you have an unrealistic view of what all consumer software can do. I refer you to the first line in my response in post !

Edited by sknis