• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hardware encoder

fwmcl

Question

My computer has a hardware encoder. To transfer miniDV tapes to DVD how do I, if I can, use the hardware encoder rather than the software encoder. Otherwise, are there other tips to reduce encoding time?

4 answers to this question

My computer has a hardware encoder. To transfer miniDV tapes to DVD how do I, if I can, use the hardware encoder rather than the software encoder. Otherwise, are there other tips to reduce encoding time?

Got any more info? "Hardware encoder" doesn't tell us too much.

For example, "I have a Hauppauge PVR250 and an ATi 9600XT PCI video card. How do I hook up my Canon DC20 camcorder and transfer video to my hard drive? I'm using EMC 7.5."

Also list computer specs for tips on encoding time. Encoding takes a lot of computing power. If your computer doesn't have it there's not a lot you can do.

Lance

Got any more info? "Hardware encoder" doesn't tell us too much.

For example, "I have a Hauppauge PVR250 and an ATi 9600XT PCI video card. How do I hook up my Canon DC20 camcorder and transfer video to my hard drive? I'm using EMC 7.5."

Also list computer specs for tips on encoding time. Encoding takes a lot of computing power. If your computer doesn't have it there's not a lot you can do.

Lance

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 with Emuzed Atlantis PCI Card (Movie Studio Plus) and GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with EMC 7.0. I am transferring via Firewire form Sony camcorder to hard drive.

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 with Emuzed Atlantis PCI Card (Movie Studio Plus) and GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with EMC 7.0. I am transferring via Firewire form Sony camcorder to hard drive.

The Dell 8250 is a 2-3GHz computer that's been around for awhile. According to Dell it has a 33MHz PCI bus. The Emuzed firewire card and GeForce4 MX support DirectX 8.1. Dell Movie Studio Plus is rebranded Roxio software (VideoWave 5?)

According to this spec sheet, the Emuzed only supports "software compression". I take this to mean that you won't be able to use hardware encoding at all (someone tell me if I'm wrong).

You may be able to shave a few minutes here and there by defragging the hard disk and turning off non-essential software. Visit the Dell support site, plug in your Service Tag number (see sticker on the back of your computer) and see if there are any updates for your computer.

I'd suggest getting some hardware upgrades, but that 33MHz PCI bus is really holding you back.

[edit] - Another thought, Emuzed was purchased by Flextronics. Flextronics sold the PC line to Lumanate (formed by ex-Emuzed employees). Looks like there are some updated drivers here. This page seems to say that it'll work with Windows Movie Maker.

Lance

Guest mlpasley

Easy Media Creator 8, the newer version, has the option to select either a hardware or software encoder. The program will test your system and recommend the one which will work best.

To reduce encoding time, make certain that your hard drive is defragmented, disconnect from the internet if you've got an 'always on' connection, shut off other programs that run in the background like virus checkers. Then walk away from the computer and let it encode.

Archived