cpressey75

DL Video DVD Burn Error -5001

Question

Hello,

I recently purchased a Lacie Lightscribe internal DL burner for my Dual 1.8 G5 - I'm attempting to burn from a video_ts folder to a DL +R DVD. I've gone through 5 disks now, and each time after going through at various speeds and waiting for the entire process to finish, I'm returned with the error message:

Sorry, the operation could not be completed. Mac OS error -5001.

Does anyone know what causes this error?

Any help would be most appreicated.

9 answers to this question

This is a problem with the drive and media. The drive needs a firmware update. You may want to try and delete the toast preferences and try selecting a speed that matches the disc. Also, try the 2.4x DL disc instead of the 4x DL disc.

This is a problem with the drive and media. The drive needs a firmware update. You may want to try and delete the toast preferences and try selecting a speed that matches the disc. Also, try the 2.4x DL disc instead of the 4x DL disc.

I've got the same damned error, only with a LaCie external Lightscribe drive. I'm using Memorex discs, which worked fine for the first four discs, and all of a sudden two 5001 errors in a row. This media is expensive; I'm backing up photographs with a lot of sentimental value; and I really don't want to wind up spending $$$$ when I've already laid out plenty for this program or with unusable backups.

There are no firmware updates available. I already tried to burn on the slowest possible speed.

I may resort to calling customer service on Monday, although I am not terribly hopeful of receiving much help.

Unfortunately, Lacie's own updaters downloaded this morning (and the day before that and the day before that) report that my firmware is up to date. I'm using 2.4x DVD +R media, and burning at 1x speed. I've tried all the combinations of burn speed. It's never worked.

I've got the same damned error, only with a LaCie external Lightscribe drive. I'm using Memorex discs, which worked fine for the first four discs, and all of a sudden two 5001 errors in a row. This media is expensive; I'm backing up photographs with a lot of sentimental value; and I really don't want to wind up spending $$$$ when I've already laid out plenty for this program or with unusable backups.

There are no firmware updates available. I already tried to burn on the slowest possible speed.

I may resort to calling customer service on Monday, although I am not terribly hopeful of receiving much help.

Do not use Memorex DL media. I've read many posts on this and other forums about it failing. The Verbatim 2.4x DL media appears to be the best supported for burning on the LaCie drives.

Do not use Memorex DL media. I've read many posts on this and other forums about it failing. The Verbatim 2.4x DL media appears to be the best supported for burning on the LaCie drives.

Thanks Sant. I will bear that in mind.

Well, a pack of Verbatim 2.4x DL DVD+R and.... the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else could be causing this problem??

I too am getting this error.

I am using a LaCie D2 external with the latest firmware with FujiFilm discs (2.4x) and will not work on any machine I try it with.

I'm trying to burn from Video_TS folders that I have ripped via MacTheRipper to no avail. I am now trying it via Disk Utility, but something tells me that it is not the burner nor the discs which are at fault. There are too many instances of the same problem with different configurations for it to be a hardware problem.

This error only hapens when trying to burn DL.

I too am getting this error.

I am using a LaCie D2 external with the latest firmware with FujiFilm discs (2.4x) and will not work on any machine I try it with.

I'm trying to burn from Video_TS folders that I have ripped via MacTheRipper to no avail. I am now trying it via Disk Utility, but something tells me that it is not the burner nor the discs which are at fault. There are too many instances of the same problem with different configurations for it to be a hardware problem.

This error only hapens when trying to burn DL.

I know this is a bit stale, but I'm having the same error messages with my LaCie external DVD burner and am trying to find answers as to what to try. Did you ever get this resolved?

I'm using a MacBook running OS 10.4.7. I believe the firmware is the latest as I've updated to the latest version on Lacie's web site.

I have never been able to burn a dual layer disc successfully according to Toast. I've tried a pack of both Memorex and Verbatim media. I keep getting an error -5001 from Toast after the "writing lead out" stage of burning the DVD.

I've seen a few threads on this forum regarding -5001 errors, but no one has posted any follow up as to whether it was resolved or if they just gave up...

Thanks!

not a software issue... have you tried to get another drive and try again? There was a user posted who had to get an internal drive from Lacie to get it to work...