RickF

Capture Problem

Question

I am using Creator 2009 and trying to capture a Home Movie from VHS Tape using the Roxio Capture USB. All starts out well but after apx 30 minutes, the capture stops and I get a Windows message "Windows Host Process (Rundll32) Has stopped working". No matter what setting is use in the capture, e.g. DVD, DVD SP, DVD LP, etc. The capture works for 30 min and stops. Since the VHS tape is 2 Hours, this is bad. BTW, I have over 300G of free disk space. Any thoughts? Thx.

Edited by RickF

3 answers to this question

I am using Creator 2009 and trying to capture a Home Movie from VHS Tape using the Roxio Capture USB. All starts out well but after apx 30 minutes, the capture stops and I get a Windows message "Windows Host Process (Rundll32) Has stopped working". No matter what setting is use in the capture, e.g. DVD, DVD SP, DVD LP, etc. The capture works for 30 min and stops. Since the VHS tape is 2 Hours, this is bad. BTW, I have over 300G of free disk space. Any thoughts? Thx.

I'm not being facetious. :o Capture in 25-30 minute segments as many other do, That is a good cure for video/audio sync problems. You didn't mention that but I wanted to give you some information. Make sure you back up the tape for 30 seconds or so so you don't miss anything.

After you have captured all the segments just add the segments to Video Wave, cut out the overlaps, and do any other editing you want to do.

By the way, you can put only one hour of video on a single sided DVD; almost 2 hours with reduced quality. Almost double that with double layer.

How are you capturing? Do not use "Plug and Burn"! Use "Capture Video". You should be seeing options like mpg2 or AVI. If you have an older, slower computer, capture as mpg2. Slightly harder to edit than AVI but smaller file sizes and the computer doesn't have to convert on the fly.

If that VHS tape is 2 hours long, you'll probably run out of disc space before that VHS is finished if you are using plug and burn.

Edited by sknis

Thanks for the suggetion. While that will work, its sure a lot more work than the promotional stuff on the Roxio box suggests. They say easily capture your VHS tapes etc etc. I guess its how you define "easy" But, I will press on. Thnaks again your prompt advice.

It is Easy but you are dealing with Video!

Video is like Easy Calculus...

Besides you don't even know if Steve's suggestion will work! It is kind of a test to see if we need to go deeper!