• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Advanced Edit made video clip bigger?

fffrank

Question

Hi I was building a Video DVD with some TV shows I recorded in MPEG2 format.

Adding the title to my project showed that it was about 2.5 GB with 2.1 GB left over.

I decided to test out Advance Edit. In advance edit, I clicked on Timeline and removed one commercial, and some footage at the beginning.

Then I clicked DONE and was surprised to see that DVD Builder now indicated that the clip was almost 4 GB!

Why did it get bigger? There is no way I will be able to fit more than one episode of video.

How can I fix this?

Beny

3 answers to this question

No need to fix anything. File size really doesn't mean anything with video editing - it is the time. You can get one hour of best quality video on a disc. If you burn the project to an iso file and then copy it to a disc, you can maybe get two hours of OK quality on a disc. Discs are inexpensive and don't take up much room so trying to fit a lot of video on one disc is a questionable practice unless you are selling them.

Commercial discs are pressed with very expensive equipment from a molded master so they can get more on a disc.

Hi I was building a Video DVD with some TV shows I recorded in MPEG2 format. Adding the title to my project showed that it was about 2.5 GB with 2.1 GB left over. I decided to test out Advance Edit. In advance edit, I clicked on Timeline and removed one commercial, and some footage at the beginning. Then I clicked DONE and was surprised to see that DVD Builder now indicated that the clip was almost 4 GB! Why did it get bigger? There is no way I will be able to fit more than one episode of video. How can I fix this?

Beny

No need to fix anything. File size really doesn't mean anything with video editing - it is the time. You can get one hour of best quality video on a disc. If you burn the project to an iso file and then copy it to a disc, you can maybe get two hours of OK quality on a disc. Discs are inexpensive and don't take up much room so trying to fit a lot of video on one disc is a questionable practice unless you are selling them.

Commercial discs are pressed with very expensive equipment from a molded master so they can get more on a disc.

Thanks for your reply, but it is still troubling, a 4.7 GB DVD can hold max 120 minutes of Video. So two 45 minute video clips should fit easily.

I think that there may be a problem with how DVD Builder calculates remaining capacity. If time is the issue, the bar should be graduated in minutes, not capacity.

Either way you cut it, there is no way that DVD Builder should have reported itself full on a 2.5GB, 45 minute clip.

I am trying to use VideoWave to remove the commercials and re-render the file, but rendering is SLOOOOOW as it seems to be running in real time.

I shall see if I get any success.

Thanks,

Beny

Thanks for your reply, but it is still troubling, a 4.7 GB DVD can hold max 120 minutes of Video. So two 45 minute video clips should fit easily.

I think that there may be a problem with how DVD Builder calculates remaining capacity. If time is the issue, the bar should be graduated in minutes, not capacity.

Either way you cut it, there is no way that DVD Builder should have reported itself full on a 2.5GB, 45 minute clip.

I am trying to use VideoWave to remove the commercials and re-render the file, but rendering is SLOOOOOW as it seems to be running in real time.

I shall see if I get any success.

Thanks,

Beny

If you have your production set to best quality, you will get an hour on your standard DVD. It will show that it is almost full with a 45 minute clip. That really isn't a problem when it comes to burning. Burn to an ISO file at best quality, then to a DVD using Disc Copier.

You can fit two 45 minute clips on a DVD, but the quality is going to be less. Burn those two to an ISO too, and Disc Copier will compress it to fit on a standard DVD. You will notice some degradation in quality, but it may be okay for you.

BTW, editing MPEG files is real slow. Editing AVI files is much faster.

Archived