• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Trouble Burning to DVD

scrubgrl777

Question

I just bought videowave 7 Professional. I have no other DVD programs on my computer other than DVD X Copy Xpress. In DVD Builder, when I go to burn, the box says no drive present. Does anyone have any idea how to get the program to recognize my dvd burner? Do I need to buy Easy Media Creator 7 in order for this program to work? My burner is a DVD+- R/RW drive, It works fine with DVD X Copy Xpress. Thanks for your help.

17 answers to this question

If he knows the exact name and model of his burner, why can't he just go directly to their web site and down load any new firmware from there ??. To find the name and model of your burner, RIGHT click on MY COMPUTER on your desktop (assume it is showing on your desktop) then click on PROPERTIES, then click on the HARDWARE (TAB), then click on DEVICE MANAGER, then click on the little "+" sign next to CD-ROM and you should see the name of your burner (and any other CD drives you might have on the computer).

Frank.....

If he knows the exact name and model of his burner, why can't he just go directly to their web site and down load any new firmware from there ??. To find the name and model of your burner, RIGHT click on MY COMPUTER on your desktop (assume it is showing on your desktop) then click on PROPERTIES, then click on the HARDWARE (TAB), then click on DEVICE MANAGER, then click on the little "+" sign next to CD-ROM and you should see the name of your burner (and any other CD drives you might have on the computer).

Frank.....

For OEM devices, sometimes the firmware update is for the specific burner that was installed by the computer manufacture. In that case you need to stick with the updates offered by the computer manufacture.

Okay my firmware is up to date, but I'm still getting no drive present. What next? Again, thanks for all the help.

Check the drive Properties in Device Manager (Win-Pause, Hardware tab). Are any errors shown for the device?

For OEM devices, sometimes the firmware update is for the specific burner that was installed by the computer manufacture. In that case you need to stick with the updates offered by the computer manufacture.

Check the drive Properties in Device Manager (Win-Pause, Hardware tab). Are any errors shown for the device?

Yesterday, my devices were showing errors after installing Videowave. I contacted Compaq's Technical support and they helped me reinstall my drivers. As of right now, they are showing no errors. I tried downloading the updated firmare at compaq's website, but I'm having problems openning the file off of a CD. I went to LITE-On website and downloaded the newest firmware but when I went to update a box popped up telling me that I already had the most updated firmware on my computer.

Computer: Compaq Presario SR1230NX

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW 832S

ASUS CD-S480/AH

If that's the case, then you probably do have the latesr firmwars update for that particular drive. I found the latest firmware up date for that drive (Liteon DVDRW SOHW 832S) at this following web site address:

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm

The one for that drive is a "ZIP" file. If that's the one you downloaded and unzipped and ran the EXE program, then you are O.K. If your hardware settings show it all O.K. then it's not the drive that is the problem. I'm not famliar with Videowave 7 Professional, but in the EMC 7.x program, and on the main menu that comes up whem you boot the program, and under the TOOLS section, there is an EXTRA & UTILILITIES line you can click on and it shows all of the drives that the program recognizes and the properties for each. You might have sometrhing like that in your program that you can check to see if the drive is recognized.

There might be some conflict between your X-Copy Express program and your Videowave program. Temporarily remove the X-copy expres program and see if that helps.

Frank.....

I'm not famliar with Videowave 7 Professional, but in the EMC 7.x program, and on the main menu that comes up whem you boot the program, and under the TOOLS section, there is an EXTRA & UTILILITIES line you can click on and it shows all of the drives that the program recognizes and the properties for each. You might have sometrhing like that in your program that you can check to see if the drive is recognized.

There might be some conflict between your X-Copy Express program and your Videowave program. Temporarily remove the X-copy expres program and see if that helps.

Frank.....

You are right Frank. I do use VW7 Professional, and there is just such a tab under Extras&Utilities called Disc&Device Utility to show devices present along with all the properties.

I'm not famliar with Videowave 7 Professional, but in the EMC 7.x program, and on the main menu that comes up whem you boot the program, and under the TOOLS section, there is an EXTRA & UTILILITIES line you can click on and it shows all of the drives that the program recognizes and the properties for each. You might have sometrhing like that in your program that you can check to see if the drive is recognized.

Frank.....

Frank,

I went and checked under the Exra/Utilities section. My devices aren't listed the box is blank. I tried uninstaling X-copy. Still nothing. I don't know what's going on. Thanks for all you help. I guess I'm going to have to return the program :) .

Hmm. Now that you've got your drivers up and running again, and Xcopy is out maybe you could try this...

Put your installation cd back in and instead of "install", click on "repair". This might get VW7 to recognize the burner this time around.

That's a good suggestion Vid2-- Again, not being familiar with that particular program, I would say if "scrub--" did NOT remove and re-install, but rather just did a repair (I assume that is an option when loading the program) that would probably get the program back working again and now that the drivers and firmware are all up to date, the program should recognize the new drivers and firmware.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions vid2... I hope that helps scrub... Let us know what happens and we will keep pecking away till we can find an answer for you.

Frank.....

I just bought videowave 7 Professional. I have no other DVD programs on my computer other than DVD X Copy Xpress. In DVD Builder, when I go to burn, the box says no drive present. Does anyone have any idea how to get the program to recognize my dvd burner? Do I need to buy Easy Media Creator 7 in order for this program to work? My burner is a DVD+- R/RW drive, It works fine with DVD X Copy Xpress. Thanks for your help.

You need to update the firmware for your DVD burner, first. Let us know if that works. If not, there are other things to try.

First make sure you have all the latest updates from Windows. I assume you are running XP with SP2.

Try this Windows/ Right click on My Computer/ select Properties/ Select the hardware tab/ select Device Manager select DVD drives. There should be a list of them. Right click on the drive that is not showing in EMC 7 and select uninstall. Acknowledge. Reboot. Windows should reinstall the drive. See if it works now.

I've tried that a few times and it doesn't work. I've uninstalled the drives and the computer has reinstalled them. But nothing. My computer shows them as working. But for some reason they don't show up for videowave. The drives are all updated with the latest firmware.

First make sure you have all the latest updates from Windows. I assume you are running XP with SP2.

Try this Windows/ Right click on My Computer/ select Properties/ Select the hardware tab/ select Device Manager select DVD drives. There should be a list of them. Right click on the drive that is not showing in EMC 7 and select uninstall. Acknowledge. Reboot. Windows should reinstall the drive. See if it works now.

"You need to update the firmware for your DVD burner, first. Let us know if that works. If not, there are other things to try."

Do you know where I can update it? My computer is a Compaq...would I go to their website? Thanks for your help!

I've tried that a few times and it doesn't work. I've uninstalled the drives and the computer has reinstalled them. But nothing. My computer shows them as working. But for some reason they don't show up for videowave. The drives are all updated with the latest firmware.

Last ditch effort here, before I would try a different DVD burner in my computer:

If the drives are still listed in the Device Manager, delete them then carefully follow this fix:

"Upper/Lower Filters:

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. Highlight this key by left clicking once on it

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer"

If this doesn't work, then try a different DVD burner in your computer. If it works, trash can the Liteon burner.

"You need to update the firmware for your DVD burner, first. Let us know if that works. If not, there are other things to try."

Do you know where I can update it? My computer is a Compaq...would I go to their website? Thanks for your help!

You need to know what make and model your burner is, then go to Compaq's site and see if there is an update.

Archived