Sign in to follow this  
stevewestern

Upgrading From Emc7 - What Will Be The Same..?

Question

Hi,

I am new here, but have been using EMC7 and 5 before that for years.

Now, I have had problems with compilation cd's made with EMC7 for a while - newly burnt cd's will often not play on certain cd players, but will once played a few times of a different cd player.

I know about different makes of cd, old cd players etc, but am fed up with making a compilation, then testing it, only to find it doesn't play on a different cd. Is this a fault of EMC7, my cd burner or what ?

In the hope that Creator 2009, or maybe some other software, such as RecordNow will improve this, can anyone tell me how much has changed. I love the cross-fading feature of Creator Classic, and only really use Roxio products to make compilations from my cd's, so don't need all the other features on Creator 2009, so will RecordNow have all I need - ie Creator Classic and Sound Editor ?

What should I buy ?

Many thanks to all who can help,

Steve

15 answers to this question

I don't think throwing software at something ever fixed a problem…

For what you are describing, it never was a software issue!

I don't do a lot of Audio but I have never made an Audio CD that didn't play everywhere I took it…

Hi,

I am new here, but have been using EMC7 and 5 before that for years.

Now, I have had problems with compilation cd's made with EMC7 for a while - newly burnt cd's will often not play on certain cd players, but will once played a few times of a different cd player.

I know about different makes of cd, old cd players etc, but am fed up with making a compilation, then testing it, only to find it doesn't play on a different cd. Is this a fault of EMC7, my cd burner or what ?

In the hope that Creator 2009, or maybe some other software, such as RecordNow will improve this, can anyone tell me how much has changed. I love the cross-fading feature of Creator Classic, and only really use Roxio products to make compilations from my cd's, so don't need all the other features on Creator 2009, so will RecordNow have all I need - ie Creator Classic and Sound Editor ?

What should I buy ?

Many thanks to all who can help,

Steve

There is a strong possibility that the problem is the brand of CD you are using. Store brands and Maxell are the bottom while Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the best.

Creator Classic does no longer handles music. There are other application that do. Sound Editor is still included.

Suggestion. Make sure your computer exceeds the minimum requirements for Creator 2009. If it does, buy either product directly from Roxio on line. If you really want to do audio only, perhaps RecordNow will do. If you are looking at cost compare the $50 Record Now to the $80 (after rebate) Creator 2009.

Try it; if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days and get your money back.

I don't think throwing software at something ever fixed a problem…

For what you are describing, it never was a software issue!

I don't do a lot of Audio but I have never made an Audio CD that didn't play everywhere I took it…

Jim - thanks for your reply, but I don't understand - if it wasn't a software problem, what was/is it ? I can burn copies of cd's using disc copier or other software with no problem, so the cd burner works fine.

I sort of assumed it was some weakness in the program that made my cd's not work at times.

My main cd player is a fussy thing, and rarely plays newly burned cd's but will play most once they have been played a few times on my daughters cheapo stereo.

This confuses me lots !!

There is a strong possibility that the problem is the brand of CD you are using. Store brands and Maxell are the bottom while Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the best.

Creator Classic does no longer handles music. There are other application that do. Sound Editor is still included.

Suggestion. Make sure your computer exceeds the minimum requirements for Creator 2009. If it does, buy either product directly from Roxio on line. If you really want to do audio only, perhaps RecordNow will do. If you are looking at cost compare the $50 Record Now to the $80 (after rebate) Creator 2009.

Try it; if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days and get your money back.

sknis - Thanks to you too !

I have tried verbatim, TDK - all seem to be the same. My computer is all new (3 months old) so ought to be up to the job. As for rebates - I am in Spain, so get no rebates, and the cost is significant to me.

I guess I ought to try and see, but wanted to hear what more experienced folks had to say - is there some way to contact Roxio directly to find out what changes have been made - why does Creator Classic no longer do music ? What application does it now ?

Cheers

Steve

Jim - thanks for your reply, but I don't understand - if it wasn't a software problem, what was/is it ? I can burn copies of cd's using disc copier or other software with no problem, so the cd burner works fine.

I sort of assumed it was some weakness in the program that made my cd's not work at times.

My main cd player is a fussy thing, and rarely plays newly burned cd's but will play most once they have been played a few times on my daughters cheapo stereo.

This confuses me lots !!

sknis - Thanks to you too !

I have tried verbatim, TDK - all seem to be the same. My computer is all new (3 months old) so ought to be up to the job. As for rebates - I am in Spain, so get no rebates, and the cost is significant to me.

I guess I ought to try and see, but wanted to hear what more experienced folks had to say - is there some way to contact Roxio directly to find out what changes have been made - why does Creator Classic no longer do music ? What application does it now ?

Cheers

Steve

Did you install Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Media Player 11? Both will cripple most programs in EMC 7, and you have to roll them back to IE 6 and WMP 9, or 10..

EMC 7, and EMC 7.5, were the last two versions of the software, that let you do cross fades the way you want them. You would be disappointed, if that is all you do, and you bought Creator 2009.

Edited by grandpabruce

Did you install Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Media Player 11? Both will cripple most programs in EMC 7, and you have to roll them back to IE 6 and WMP 9, or 10..

EMC 7, and EMC 7.5, were the last two versions of the software, that let you do cross fades the way you want them. You would be disappointed, if that is all you do, and you bought Creator 2009.

WHAT !!

Grandpabruce - you are the bringer of bad tidings...

I have both WMP 11 and IE 7, and have no idea how to roll them back, but why don't newer versions allow one to cross fade anymore - the ability to fade one track slowly and fade the other in fast is such a good tool.

Is there any other software that does do it, or is that a silly question on a Roxio forum ?

WHAT !!

Grandpabruce - you are the bringer of bad tidings...

I have both WMP 11 and IE 7, and have no idea how to roll them back, but why don't newer versions allow one to cross fade anymore - the ability to fade one track slowly and fade the other in fast is such a good tool.

Is there any other software that does do it, or is that a silly question on a Roxio forum ?

Try rolling back IE 7 & WMP 11 (instructions here http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=23162 ).

it may fix your problem, you have nothing to loose.

Thanks - Just done it !

I would still love to know why crossfading was deemed not important by the brains at Roxio !!

Roxio was purchased by Sonic Solutions a couple of years back. Apparently, Sonic thinks that dumbing down a set of applications makes the product have wider appeal! :rolleyes:

Roxio was purchased by Sonic Solutions a couple of years back. Apparently, Sonic thinks that dumbing down a set of applications makes the product have wider appeal! :rolleyes:

Hmm - some wise people out there...

Sadly, Sonic don't seem to employ them all.

Maybe I am in a minority, but if I can find a program that allows the same crossfading, I will buy it, as it is the only reason I use Roxio (not meaning to suggest that the products are rubbish, just I am sorted for other software..!)

I have had a quick look, but is there any way to contact Roxio by email and make a suggestion that they listen to their customers ?

Hmm - some wise people out there...

Sadly, Sonic don't seem to employ them all.

Maybe I am in a minority, but if I can find a program that allows the same crossfading, I will buy it, as it is the only reason I use Roxio (not meaning to suggest that the products are rubbish, just I am sorted for other software..!)

I have had a quick look, but is there any way to contact Roxio by email and make a suggestion that they listen to their customers ?

http://www.roxio.com/enu/sitemap.html

http://www.roxio.com/enu/company/contact.html

cd

I think that we have been less than completely truthful about cross fading. It is more difficult to do it in this version than in the earlier version. If you do a lot of music of the same type, you can play with it to get what you want.

Music cross fade and transition is in Music Disc Creator (CD making application tool). You can select from 4 types of fades and three types of transitions (from one piece to the next) along with the time for the transition. The transition time is the one that is tricky because of the natural fade out/fade in of saome music. That transition time could be 6 second or more. I've seen it as high as 15 or 20.One interesting thing is a transition with beat matching. I haven't tried it so I'm not going to comment.

Here are some images probably better than words.

Different types of fades

post-58-1237401551.jpg

Different types of transitions (Essentially none, the one where one starts playing before the previous one stops (fae in/out) and beat matching).

post-58-1237401561.jpg

Typical tme setting

post-58-1237401641.jpg

Edited by sknis

Not easy to find, as I had looked at that page before (hey, could be me though..!)

However, I have now emailed... !

Thanks for taking the time !

sknis - I tried your links, but was told I was not signed in, despite my name showing that I was signed in, but now, having scrolled down to check your post, the pictures are showing.

Looks sort of complicated, but then so do many things until one tries them.

Might be worth looking into - I have asked why there is no free trial - hey, maybe I'll get lucky............

Cheers

Steve

Not easy to find, as I had looked at that page before (hey, could be me though..!)

However, I have now emailed... !

Thanks for taking the time !

sknis - I tried your links, but was told I was not signed in, despite my name showing that I was signed in, but now, having scrolled down to check your post, the pictures are showing.

Looks sort of complicated, but then so do many things until one tries them.

Might be worth looking into - I have asked why there is no free trial - hey, maybe I'll get lucky............

Cheers

Steve

If you buy directly from Roxio, you have 30 days to return it for your full refund. I'm not sure how they handle electronic downloads.

If you visit cd-Freaks dot com, they have TONS of info on problems like this. Just like they said its not Roxio thats the problem.

Again, you are responding to a several week old thread where the original poster has an answer -- actually more than one. There was not problem in this thread, just a bunch of questions about how things work.

Sign in to follow this