• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Copied DVDs do not play on DVD player

llenard23

Question

I have been copying personal nonencrypted DVDs for some time with EMC 7 and 7.5. When I upgraded to EMC 8, I ran into the following problem: the DVD seems to copy smoothly, but when I go to play it in my DVD player, it will not play. The error message is "Can't play this disk". However, when I return it to my DVD burner, it works fine. This seems to happen in about 4/5 cases. Every once in a while a copy works.

8 answers to this question

I've used two different brands of media, both used successfully in the past.

Why would it play fine on the burner but not the DVD player?

I had the same problem. When you burn the disc, there is an "options" selection available on the lower right. Somewhere within those options, there is a selection allowing for multisessions, apparently turned on by default. In this case, the disc is not finalized, to allow for more content to be added later on. If you select not to allow multiple sessions, EMC 8 will finalize the disc and allow it to be played on your regular player.

If you have trouble finding this option, post to me and I will open the program and get step by step instructions for you.

I would interested in where this option is located. Even the option for multi-session audio has been removed in version 8. The video DVD standard requires the disc to be 'closed' and everytime I have ever used ANY application in EMC8 that burns a video disc, the disc is closed.

The only multi-session that I know is when you create a 'data' disc and that does not create a 'video DVD'.

I had the same problem. When you burn the disc, there is an "options" selection available on the lower right. Somewhere within those options, there is a selection allowing for multisessions, apparently turned on by default. In this case, the disc is not finalized, to allow for more content to be added later on. If you select not to allow multiple sessions, EMC 8 will finalize the disc and allow it to be played on your regular player.

If you have trouble finding this option, post to me and I will open the program and get step by step instructions for you.

I'm afraid it didn't work. Any other ideas?

I would interested in where this option is located. Even the option for multi-session audio has been removed in version 8. The video DVD standard requires the disc to be 'closed' and everytime I have ever used ANY application in EMC8 that burns a video disc, the disc is closed.

The only multi-session that I know is when you create a 'data' disc and that does not create a 'video DVD'.

Actually I did use the data disc option to burn the video DVD. I burned to a folder from Premiere Elements, and used EMC8 data disc to create the DVD so that I could have control over the burn speed. I thought that that was what he was doing as well, but perhaps I misunderstood.

At any rate, burning from there and chosing that option worked for me in getting my DVDplayer to recognize the disc.

I'm afraid it didn't work. Any other ideas?

After reading GGrussells comments, if you found that option you must be using the data disc function as well. Did you try using the slowest speed to record? This seems obvious, but if you have more than one recordable drive, are you sure that you're selecting the right one from the dropdown menus? As I recall, there are a couple of places where you are asked for the drive.

I'm just learning the program myself, so maybe I'm not chosing the best program function for the task either. I have 2 files that I have to copy from the burn folder to the DVD, and this works for me. I don't have an "image" file as such, so the burn from image file option is not an option.

BTW, can you describe the steps you are using to copy the disc? Maybe it will give someone a better idea of how to help you.

Dan

Disc Copier will properly burn a video DVD from ISO file or from a video folder. It shouldn't matter what program created the video_ts folder. I'm rather surprised that the disc you burned worked. Re-reading the original post, it could be as simple as using a different brand of blank disc. He should be using Disc Copier to make copies from his original home-made DVD.

I have been copying personal nonencrypted DVDs for some time with EMC 7 and 7.5. When I upgraded to EMC 8, I ran into the following problem: the DVD seems to copy smoothly, but when I go to play it in my DVD player, it will not play. The error message is "Can't play this disk". However, when I return it to my DVD burner, it works fine. This seems to happen in about 4/5 cases. Every once in a while a copy works.

That seems to point to your Burner as the weak link… Do new burned project act the same way? Could also be a batch of media.

Check for a firmware update for your burner. Try a new batch of quality media – Verbatim is always a good choice. As a last desperate measure, try a lens cleaner.

That seems to point to your Burner as the weak link… Do new burned project act the same way? Could also be a batch of media.

Burner is brand new and firmware is uptodate.

Check for a firmware update for your burner. Try a new batch of quality media – Verbatim is always a good choice. As a last desperate measure, try a lens cleaner.

I've used two different brands of media, both used successfully in the past.

Why would it play fine on the burner but not the DVD player?

Archived