• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can't Burn Large Blu Ray Data Discs

hey dude

Question

I am using Toast 9.0.5 on a Mac Pro (2X2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon) running Mac OS X 10.4.11. The drive I have is an HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L with YL03 firmware purchased from MCE Technologies. The drive and Toast work fine for burning CDs and DVDs of all variety on different brands of stock. I can even burn very small Blu Ray data discs (approximately 9 GB or smaller) without issue. Whenever I try to burn a Blu Ray anywhere close to capacity however, I experience errors. This is a major issue for me since I purchased the Blu Ray drive to use for archival purposes. The file I will use for example purposes is a 20 GB QuickTime file. When I try to burn it directly to disc with Toast, I receive the following error 33% through the burn process (The Drive reported an error: Sense Key+Unit Attention / Sense Code = 0X29 / Power On, Reset, or Bus Device Rest occurred). I have tried to work around this by burning the disc with a disk image. When I try this I get the following error, also at 33% through the burn cycle (Drive reported an error: Sense Key = Illegal Request / Sense Code = 0X21, 0X02 / Buffer Under Run). I have made sure that all other programs are shut down and that all external drives are disconnected. I have even returned the drive to the MCE for a new drive on the chance that there was a problem with the unit. The new drive still experiences the same problem even at the slowest possible write speed (which in the pulldown menu is 2x).

The manufacturer gave me a laundry list of things to try and apparently didn't read my email to realize I had already tried most of them (or it's possible that they didn't care).

Do you have any suggestions or work around possibilities that I have not considered? Blu Ray is really the most cost effective solution to my storage needs and I really hope to be able to fix this issue.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet