Creator 2009 Does Not Recognize Audio Discs

luds203

Question

I'm running Creator 2009 with the latest updates on Vista 32bits.

When I insert an audio disc on either of my two drives the audio files are not recognized and nothing happens. The drives are still calling for a disc to be inserted. When I insert a data disc I can copy and burn just fine. The disc drives work fine under Windows Media Center and audio files are recognized correctly.

All drives have the latest firmware.

I have disabled each drive and rebooted to reinstall the drivers.

I have installed the latest PX Engine.

I have performed a complete removal of Creator per instructions by Roxio and reinstalled the software twice.

Can someone help?

16 answers to this question

The audio discs are not recognized in Creator 2009 - Music-Audio - Rip, Rip Advanced,Create Audiobooks, Batch Convert and Transfer, Copy Disc. I keep on getting a request to insert a disc into appropriate drive.

Data discs are read fine in Data-Copy

Roxio, Windows Media Player and Windows Explorer whill not recognise an audio CD, or blank CD

However Roxio and Windows Explorer will recognise a data CD previously burned by Roxio, can erase the CD and then do new burn of data files to the disk

So, what you're saying is that you can only use "RW" (erasable) discs in your drive, but not "R" (write once) or commercially pressed discs? Or can you also read commercial data discs (but not audio discs) too? What drive(s) do you have? (Make and model.) How old is your system? It sounds like a drive that's got issues and may need to be replaced. But these are very odd symptoms.

We can read R discs previously burned if data or pictures but not audio, same with RW. But will not recognise blank CD irrespective if R or RW and will not recognise commercial audio CD

Machine is only 18 months old Dell Vostro 1710 drive is Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640A. Dells advice is to reinstall all software to factory settings as this will then determine if due to software update since( as factory restore wips everything since date of purchase), or if drive still not working properly after this then replace the drive itself

We can read R discs previously burned if data or pictures but not audio, same with RW. But will not recognise blank CD irrespective if R or RW and will not recognise commercial audio CD

Machine is only 18 months old Dell Vostro 1710 drive is Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640A. Dells advice is to reinstall all software to factory settings as this will then determine if due to software update since( as factory restore wips everything since date of purchase), or if drive still not working properly after this then replace the drive itself

Before restoring the drive to factory fresh, I'd try updating the firmware in the Optiarc drive. Assuming you have the slotload version of the drive, the firmware listed at Dell's site is here. (I'm hoping that link will work... if not, go to Dell's site and find your way to the updates for your system.) I did find another posting elsewhere of the same model of drive not recognizing audio CDs, which was solved by updating the firmware.

Otherwise, make sure you back up all your data before doing the reinstall. (Personally, I'd go buy an external drive and make a complete image of your drive using something like Acronis True Image, or a similar backup or cloning utility.)

Hope that helps!

Edited by d_deweywright

Thanks, yes we had already downlaoded a replacement driver, we had tried everything suggested on the dell web site and roxio web sites. Roxio were being helpful until they realised it was an OEM version of the software that came with the machine but have now stopped communicating, now wonder they get so many bad comments about themselves on varios web sites

Thanks, yes we had already downlaoded a replacement driver, we had tried everything suggested on the dell web site and roxio web sites. Roxio were being helpful until they realised it was an OEM version of the software that came with the machine but have now stopped communicating, now wonder they get so many bad comments about themselves on varios web sites

Of course they have stopped communicating since they do not support any OEM versions of the software. It is the responsibility of Dell to support the software according the OEM agreement.

Regardless of that, the issue is really seems to be the drive, not the software. Your drive is telling every application you're using that it can't read Audio discs, not just Creator 2009. As you said, Windows Media Player isn't any better, and it's the drive that tell Windows and the applications whether or not it can read the discs. It really doesn't seem to be a software issue, as much as a drive issue. The fact that the system is only 18 months old is relevant only in that we'd all like to think things should last/work longer.

As Walt said, OEM software is supposed to be supported by the company it's sold by, which is Dell, in this case.

I'd be pushing Dell to send you a new drive, but at 18 months, it's probably not under warranty, so shop around for either a replacement internal drive, or pick up an external USB drive.

Hope that helps!

Just to let you know that I have a similar weird issue with Creator (2010) and LG burners with some of the audio software. The program doesn't recognize when a blank disc is inserted and if I go to Windows, I can see the drive disappear :o . Rebooting brings them back. I can see recorded CD if I am making a label. I have a 3rd drive which is external and it doesn't exhibit the same problem. I chalk it up to the LG weird drives. :angry: They came with a built in packet writing CD/DVD burning application on them - Bluebirds which I thought was the problem. I did not install that application but the firmware on the burner is still there.

We did the software reinstal back to factory settings. Resulted in that we can read and burn DVD's of any sort, but will not look at any sort of CD Rom. So tested an external burner and can handle both DVD and CD. External option is best why forwards after getting quote from dell for the replacement internal drive