Sign in to follow this  
JRChicago

Pls Help: Popcorn 3 Crashes When Burning Part Of Video_ts Folder With Compression &

Question

Hello All, I am at wits end here. I am running Popcorn 3 (though have the problem also with Toast 10.0.0 and Toast 10.0.1; the problem even persists if I wipe toast from drive and just install Popcorn 3, and vice versa). Running month-old macbook pro 2.5ghz on Leopard, OS X fully updated. Everything was working fine, including the operation I'm trying to execute here. Then all of a sudden it stopped working. Uninstalls, reinstalls, fully cleaning all roxio from system, nothing makes any difference. And it happens with any Video_TS folder DVD I try to burn, so it is nothing to do with them being corrupted.

Here's what happens: If I burn the Video_TS folder straight with no compression, it works fine, even if I take out certain videos and audio streams. Also works fine if I burn it WITH compression, but I burn the whole DVD, not removing any elements. But if I try to burn with compression AND selecting only certain elements, it crashes as soon as I start to burn it (either immediately upon clicking "burn" or several seconds into the "preparing" stage.) Also, if I try to "save as disc image" it also crashes.

It kind of seems like maybe there is some conflict with Toast and something else on my system, otherwise why would it have worked before and then stopped working, even when i wipe clean and reinstall? But the "conflict" theory struggles because nothing changed on my system between when it worked and now. I was actually burning a series of DVDs, and it stopped working in between: one worked and the next one didn't, with NO changes to the system in between. Totally mysterious.

I worked very hard to set up my DVD buring setup, and no other software package (or combination) works as well for what I need. I *really* want to find a way to get Toast/Popcorn back to working like before. Anyone who can help will be GREATLY appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Hello All, I am at wits end here. I am running Popcorn 3 (though have the problem also with Toast 10.0.0 and Toast 10.0.1; the problem even persists if I wipe toast from drive and just install Popcorn 3, and vice versa). Running month-old macbook pro 2.5ghz on Leopard, OS X fully updated. Everything was working fine, including the operation I'm trying to execute here. Then all of a sudden it stopped working. Uninstalls, reinstalls, fully cleaning all roxio from system, nothing makes any difference. And it happens with any Video_TS folder DVD I try to burn, so it is nothing to do with them being corrupted.

Here's what happens: If I burn the Video_TS folder straight with no compression, it works fine, even if I take out certain videos and audio streams. Also works fine if I burn it WITH compression, but I burn the whole DVD, not removing any elements. But if I try to burn with compression AND selecting only certain elements, it crashes as soon as I start to burn it (either immediately upon clicking "burn" or several seconds into the "preparing" stage.) Also, if I try to "save as disc image" it also crashes.

It kind of seems like maybe there is some conflict with Toast and something else on my system, otherwise why would it have worked before and then stopped working, even when i wipe clean and reinstall? But the "conflict" theory struggles because nothing changed on my system between when it worked and now. I was actually burning a series of DVDs, and it stopped working in between: one worked and the next one didn't, with NO changes to the system in between. Totally mysterious.

I worked very hard to set up my DVD buring setup, and no other software package (or combination) works as well for what I need. I *really* want to find a way to get Toast/Popcorn back to working like before. Anyone who can help will be GREATLY appreciated.

=====================

I'm having a similar problem with my set-up; a Mac G4 dual 1.42 GHz PowerMac running Toast 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 and Popcorn 3.03. The difference between your account and mine is that I know I applied Apple's security patch about a month and a half ago and both Toast and Popcorn have stopped working after that. Another difference is that I can't get the apps to run for anything at all; I get a crash the minute I drag or add a video_ts folder to either app.

I've also tried clean installs of both apps, repaired disks and permissions, uninstalled, various disk utilities, etc. This is very frustrating and an additional frustration is that Roxio doesn't appear to be interested in solving this problem. I've submitted multiple crash logs and app panic logs to their Tech Support department and their tech support department keeps closing the bugs. No feedback from Roxio and no interest in additional information about the crash - very VERY frustrating.

=====================

I'm having a similar problem with my set-up; a Mac G4 dual 1.42 GHz PowerMac running Toast 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 and Popcorn 3.03. The difference between your account and mine is that I know I applied Apple's security patch about a month and a half ago and both Toast and Popcorn have stopped working after that. Another difference is that I can't get the apps to run for anything at all; I get a crash the minute I drag or add a video_ts folder to either app.

I've also tried clean installs of both apps, repaired disks and permissions, uninstalled, various disk utilities, etc. This is very frustrating and an additional frustration is that Roxio doesn't appear to be interested in solving this problem. I've submitted multiple crash logs and app panic logs to their Tech Support department and their tech support department keeps closing the bugs. No feedback from Roxio and no interest in additional information about the crash - very VERY frustrating.

What happens when you drag in the VIDEO_TS folders from one of the discs you burned with Toast or Popcorn before the problem appeared?

yes experiencing identical problem, was running Popcorn v1 on mac mini for years with no problems. then upgraded to a new macbook 2 weeks ago, Popcorn v1. obviously wont run on intels so I upgraded yesterday to Popcorn 3.03. and every time I try to burn a TS file it runs through the copy stage and then just crashes. tried uninstalling and re-installing but the problem still persists.

yes experiencing identical problem, was running Popcorn v1 on mac mini for years with no problems. then upgraded to a new macbook 2 weeks ago, Popcorn v1. obviously wont run on intels so I upgraded yesterday to Popcorn 3.03. and every time I try to burn a TS file it runs through the copy stage and then just crashes. tried uninstalling and re-installing but the problem still persists.

Have you trashed the Popcorn plist file in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunched Popcorn?

Have you trashed the Popcorn plist file in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunched Popcorn?

yes followed your instructions and still no joy!

yes followed your instructions and still no joy!

I'd appreciate your trying a different test. Place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop and choose DVD Video as the format. Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. Double click on what appears in the browser window and drag the titles you want from the browser to the main window.

When Popcorn finishes extracting the MPEG 2 video files from the VIDEO_TS folder, set up a menu the way you want. You can change the thumbnail image by clicking on it and moving the scroll bar that appears below. When you are ready, choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu.

Something to keep in mind for the purpose of this test is to drag enough content to the Popcorn window so that it requires a DL-sized DVD.

When the disc image is finished select it with the Image File setting in the Popcorn window. Now try burning that to a single-layer DVD. Does Popcorn crash at the end of the compression stage? If so, reopen Popcorn and select the disc image again. This time choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu again and click the button to say you want it to fit a single-layer disc. When that is done choose the newer disc image in Popcorn and click the burn button. Does this work (now that Fit-to-DVD compression is already done)?

Let me know how these tests turn out.

I'd appreciate your trying a different test. Place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop and choose DVD Video as the format. Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. Double click on what appears in the browser window and drag the titles you want from the browser to the main window.

When Popcorn finishes extracting the MPEG 2 video files from the VIDEO_TS folder, set up a menu the way you want. You can change the thumbnail image by clicking on it and moving the scroll bar that appears below. When you are ready, choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu.

Something to keep in mind for the purpose of this test is to drag enough content to the Popcorn window so that it requires a DL-sized DVD.

When the disc image is finished select it with the Image File setting in the Popcorn window. Now try burning that to a single-layer DVD. Does Popcorn crash at the end of the compression stage? If so, reopen Popcorn and select the disc image again. This time choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu again and click the button to say you want it to fit a single-layer disc. When that is done choose the newer disc image in Popcorn and click the burn button. Does this work (now that Fit-to-DVD compression is already done)?

Let me know how these tests turn out.

unable to copy the files into Popcorn. I get an error message saying the files are not in a unsupported format - all the files are in a VIDEO_TS file folder?

unable to copy the files into Popcorn. I get an error message saying the files are not in a unsupported format - all the files are in a VIDEO_TS file folder?

Are you sure you selected DVD video as the format in the main Popcorn window? Do the titles show up in the Media Browser? Are you using the Media Browser to access the titles (it is a separate window from the main Popcorn window). If you don't see the Media Browser then open it via the Windows menu.

Are you sure you selected DVD video as the format in the main Popcorn window? Do the titles show up in the Media Browser? Are you using the Media Browser to access the titles (it is a separate window from the main Popcorn window). If you don't see the Media Browser then open it via the Windows menu.

yes DVD video selected.

when I select DVD in the media browser no files are shown. I can only get files listed in Media Browser when I select my movies folder. when I try to copy the files across I get the same error message that the files are unsupported.

yes DVD video selected.

when I select DVD in the media browser no files are shown. I can only get files listed in Media Browser when I select my movies folder. when I try to copy the files across I get the same error message that the files are unsupported.

The VIDEO_TS folder must be on the desktop (or in the Movies folder) and not inside any other folder. If it isn't showing in the Media Browser (with DVD selected with the browser's top button) when it is on the desktop then something is wrong with the VIDEO_TS folder.

The VIDEO_TS folder must be on the desktop (or in the Movies folder) and not inside any other folder. If it isn't showing in the Media Browser (with DVD selected with the browser's top button) when it is on the desktop then something is wrong with the VIDEO_TS folder.

ok some progress.

with the Video_TS folder on the desktop and selecting DVD in the media browser, the files listed on the desktop are showing up as protected? Now this is weird because they were ripped by MTR with no protection setting?

just re-ripped the files with MTR and they are still showing as protected files. Checked the settings in MTR and can see no facility for changing the settings? this is bizarre as MTR has worked trouble free for the last 3 years with no need to change any settings?

any ideas? thanks

Edited by warobbo

ok some progress.

with the Video_TS folder on the desktop and selecting DVD in the media browser, the files listed on the desktop are showing up as protected? Now this is weird because they were ripped by MTR with no protection setting?

just re-ripped the files with MTR and they are still showing as protected files. Checked the settings in MTR and can see no facility for changing the settings? this is bizarre as MTR has worked trouble free for the last 3 years with no need to change any settings?

any ideas? thanks

That is curious. It may be the producer of this DVD outsmarted MTR. Unfortunately we're not allowed to discuss details about ripping copy-protected DVDs in the Roxio forums. There are other sites where MTR is freely discussed.

That is curious. It may be the producer of this DVD outsmarted MTR. Unfortunately we're not allowed to discuss details about ripping copy-protected DVDs in the Roxio forums. There are other sites where MTR is freely discussed.

ok, appreciate your help.