rebbi

Toast 9.0.5 Kernel Panics

Question

I just upgraded to Toast 9.0.5 from 9.0.2. When I try to use Toast to copy a CD, it reads the contents of the original disc to memory just fine, but after I insert the second, blank CD and tell it to burn the copy, I get a Kernel Panic and have to force shut down. This has happened twice, so it is repeatable. Anyone got any experience solving this?

Thanks!

15 answers to this question

The only time I've experienced kernel panics with Toast was when I had some defective RAM that only was accessed during a certain moment of creating a music DVD. I ran the extended hardware test that came with my Mac and it found that the new RAM I added was defective. The seller replaced it and all was well afterward.

It may be worthwhile to run the hardware test or the application Rember.

i am having the same issues. I have uninstalled and reinstalled as per directions and am still having the same issues.

The only time I've experienced kernel panics with Toast was when I had some defective RAM that only was accessed during a certain moment of creating a music DVD. I ran the extended hardware test that came with my Mac and it found that the new RAM I added was defective. The seller replaced it and all was well afterward.

It may be worthwhile to run the hardware test or the application Rember.

Hmmm.... I doubt it's the RAM, but I'll see what Tech Tool Pro says.

Hmmm.... I doubt it's the RAM, but I'll see what Tech Tool Pro says.

Unfortunately Tech Tool Pro often misses the RAM problems that are caught with Apple's extended Hardware Test or with Rember.

Unfortunately Tech Tool Pro often misses the RAM problems that are caught with Apple's extended Hardware Test or with Rember.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I ran TechTool Pro, Rember, AHT and Memtest (in single user mode), and none of them found any problems with my RAM. So this is something else!

Any ideas?

I can suggest a workaround (because I don't know the reason for the kernel panic). When copying choose Save as Disc Image and then use the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your copies. I always do my disc copying in that manner.

I am having this very same problem. If there are at least three of us with this problem, and all three have checked their RAM, it seems unlikely that the RAM would be the problem. I am very concerned about this and any help at all would be helpful.

I am having this very same problem. If there are at least three of us with this problem, and all three have checked their RAM, it seems unlikely that the RAM would be the problem. I am very concerned about this and any help at all would be helpful.

Does my suggested workaround of first choosing Save as Disc Image work?

I do not get the Kernel Panics... Roxio 9.0.5 just aborts at 15 minutes into an attempt to burn a DVD from DV video... either directly to disk or disk image...

I've the same problem with a G5 and a MacBookPro both operating OSX 10.5.6... change every possible setting... both die at 15 minutes 100% of the time.

Help?

I do not get the Kernel Panics... Roxio 9.0.5 just aborts at 15 minutes into an attempt to burn a DVD from DV video... either directly to disk or disk image...

I've the same problem with a G5 and a MacBookPro both operating OSX 10.5.6... change every possible setting... both die at 15 minutes 100% of the time.

Help?

Is this with the same video or with different videos? Do you have lots of hard drive space available? Am I correct that you are referring to 15 minutes of the encoding stage?

Is this with the same video or with different videos? Do you have lots of hard drive space available? Am I correct that you are referring to 15 minutes of the encoding stage?

I have 25 different camera original DV tape cassettes... it happens with the first three that I've tried, both computers, both DV decks. The G5 has 33GB available and the MacBookPro has 25GB available. When I attempt to "Save as Disc Image" or "Import & Record" or hit the RED button... everything starts fine, progress bar moves, but at 25% complete or 15 minutes of tape Toast 9 aborts... it is consistent.

I have 25 different camera original DV tape cassettes... it happens with the first three that I've tried, both computers, both DV decks. The G5 has 33GB available and the MacBookPro has 25GB available. When I attempt to "Save as Disc Image" or "Import & Record" or hit the RED button... everything starts fine, progress bar moves, but at 25% complete or 15 minutes of tape Toast 9 aborts... it is consistent.

I don't know if this will help but go to the Energy Saver panel in System Preferences and remove the check mark next to put hard drives to sleep when possible. Let me know if that makes any difference.

I don't know if this will help but go to the Energy Saver panel in System Preferences and remove the check mark next to put hard drives to sleep when possible. Let me know if that makes any difference.

Good idea, but both computers all set at "Never" both computer and display... those were set previously and not changed.

Good idea, but both computers all set at "Never" both computer and display... those were set previously and not changed.

I realize you've probably already checked this but when you are ready to start importing there is a setting in Toast where you choose a set number of minutes or the entire tape. I'm presuming you've set it to import the entire tape.

You can import the video using QuickTime Pro or the freeware application Vidi and then add it to Toast. I'm stumped at the moment why Toast would halt the import at 15 minutes. I guess I need to get out my DV camcorder and give it a test of my own.

Yes I've set it for "entire tape"... but also in testing I tried 45 minutes... still no luck... same abort at 15 minutes...

Tomorrow I'm borrowing a standard DVD recorder because I have to finish this work... no computer involved...

I know I've done this Toast burn previously... but maybe in Toast 8 or less... and certainly a PowerPC...

thanks again, Dan