Video Graphics Card

outerbank

Question

Currently operating with an integrated video card. Would like to upgrade my computer to a dedicated video card. Have done some research to determine which video cards will work in my computer. There were three brands listed by Dell for my computer - VisionTEK, Diamond Multimedia and EVGA, and of course with differing amounts of installed memory and clock speed. Is one of these three brands better to use? By the way, will upgrading to a dedicated video card speed up rendering (or encoding, whichever is the correct term) of slide shows and videos? Or is this more dependent on CPU speed?

5 answers to this question

Currently operating with an integrated video card. Would like to upgrade my computer to a dedicated video card. Have done some research to determine which video cards will work in my computer. There were three brands listed by Dell for my computer - VisionTEK, Diamond Multimedia and EVGA, and of course with differing amounts of installed memory and clock speed. Is one of these three brands better to use? By the way, will upgrading to a dedicated video card speed up rendering (or encoding, whichever is the correct term) of slide shows and videos? Or is this more dependent on CPU speed?

VisionTEK and EVGA are good. The video card should speed up rendering. Your CPU is what gets taxed, when your video is encoded.

Added a EVGA e-GeForce 6200 graphics card today. Selected this card because the user reports were very favorable. Installation went smoothly. Haven't yet determined if there is any difference in how this new graphics card functions versus the on-board Intel card. Any simple tests I can perform that may let me know if there is a difference in performance?

Thanks for the help. Will try. By the way, when I open VideoWave a window opens up showing the name of the slide shows I created. The only option at this point is to select one of the slideshows to be able to do anything else in VideoWave. Then I have to wait for the one of the slideshow to load. Should I instead immediatle click on the box that indicates not to show this window again?