• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Don't Play "nothing On The Disk"

Bluevanillalady

Question

I just burned my first two DVD's on this program and they don't work. When I put them into my DVD player they recognize that it's a DVD but it says "Can't play" when I put it in my computer it doesn't read anything at all. I can see that something was burned on the disk but it shows no files and doesn't play in any player I used. I did copy another DVD that someone gave me and that played perfectly but my movies that I made won't. I can view them in the program. I burned at 4X. I have burned DVD's in the past and had no problems. I have a newer computer less than a year old. More than enough RAM and space etc to do this so I know that speed is not the issue. Closed extra programs when burning and did not use my computer just in case. Could I need better disks to burn on (even though they worked fine the other time)? Any help or solutions to this problem would be appreciated. DVD files are .dmsd if that makes any difference as well and I am using Memorex DVD-RW 4X 4.7GB 120 min disks.

Edited by Bluevanillalady

10 answers to this question

I just burned my first two DVD's on this program and they don't work. When I put them into my DVD player they recognize that it's a DVD but it says "Can't play" when I put it in my computer it doesn't read anything at all. I can see that something was burned on the disk but it shows no files and doesn't play in any player I used. I did copy another DVD that someone gave me and that played perfectly but my movies that I made won't. I can view them in the program. I burned at 4X. I have burned DVD's in the past and had no problems. I have a newer computer less than a year old. More than enough RAM and space etc to do this so I know that speed is not the issue. Closed extra programs when burning and did not use my computer just in case. Could I need better disks to burn on (even though they worked fine the other time)? Any help or solutions to this problem would be appreciated. DVD files are .dmsd if that makes any difference as well and I am using Memorex DVD-RW 4X 4.7GB 120 min disks.

Did you finally get the entire program downloaded? I have to make the assumption that you did, but Yyou forgot to go back to your other thread and let folks know that their help got you squared away. :blink:

What brand/type of media are you using?

Did you finally get the entire program downloaded? I have to make the assumption that you did, but Yyou forgot to go back to your other thread and let folks know that their help got you squared away. :blink:

What brand/type of media are you using?

Yes I did get the other issue fixed. Sorry first time posting I should have left a note that I downloaded the rest of the file and that is fixed. The actual video files are .MOD I have a JVC and that is the default. The other video I burned was not from this camera and I had no isses at all in regards to burning.

Edited by Bluevanillalady

Well your media is considered by most to be walked past when reaching for Verbatim…

JVC is well known for their non-compliance to video standards but they are not the only ones…

Do the files play OK in MyDVD preview?

Have you taken them into VideoWave?

Yes they play fine in the MyDVD Preview. It might take a minute to load but it's 1 1/2h of my sons hockey. Once I am in there I can see it fine. I edited them in the Video Wave and put all the extra's in it that I wanted. No issues when I preview it in any of the preview screens available. I was also able to change it into an mpg with no issues at all and it actually went quite quickly. If I were to convert the video to mpg what format would it burn the files on the disk when I am making a DVD? What type of file does it default it's burning to normally?

You and I don't do anything to the files… The Authoring program (MyDVD) does all of the formatting required. If you would try to add files to a disc, it wouldn't work!

Putting more than 1 hour on a disc will degrade quality. Some people don't mind that, but personally, I don't care to look at one like that.

I really think it is your media but since you have some RW, let's do an easy test.

Open MyDVD, take the default.

Add 2 or 3 still pictures and burn.

What happens?

You and I don't do anything to the files… The Authoring program (MyDVD) does all of the formatting required. If you would try to add files to a disc, it wouldn't work!

Putting more than 1 hour on a disc will degrade quality. Some people don't mind that, but personally, I don't care to look at one like that.

I really think it is your media but since you have some RW, let's do an easy test.

What happens?

What I was refering to was the actual editing of the video file. I am at work so I will have to wait until this evening to try that.

What happens?

I did what you said and burned 3 pictures onto a disk with a menu/intro etc. Everything worked fine and the disk played well. The pictures were in .JPG format. What if I were to convert the video file to .mpg and burn less on the disk?

I used the .mpg and just part of what I was originally burning. (Two kids hockey games down to one) and had no problems at all. The quality wasn't what I was hoping but I think part of that is that I converted it to the .mpg. I am going to try it with less info but not converting it to see if the picture is any better.

I used the .mpg and just part of what I was originally burning. (Two kids hockey games down to one) and had no problems at all. The quality wasn't what I was hoping but I think part of that is that I converted it to the .mpg. I am going to try it with less info but not converting it to see if the picture is any better.

Now it is starting to come together!

In MyDVD always start by setting Quality to Best.

You should not be converting anything… Every conversion causes loses and the program doesn't need our misguided help :lol:

In VideoWave or MyDVD you can mix and match every possible video and still picture format you can lay your hands on and it will make one conversion into a compliant DVD Movie. That is what is going on during that long Render time.

Look through the How To articles here to pick up some ideas.

Now it is starting to come together!

In MyDVD always start by setting Quality to Best.

You should not be converting anything… Every conversion causes loses and the program doesn't need our misguided help :lol:

In VideoWave or MyDVD you can mix and match every possible video and still picture format you can lay your hands on and it will make one conversion into a compliant DVD Movie. That is what is going on during that long Render time.

Look through the How To articles here to pick up some ideas.

The Quality was to the best. I lost quality slightly when I converted my video to .mpg but I knew that was strickly from converting it. I wasn't mixing different types of media together in my project though I was converting this to see if the burning would be any better which it wasn't because I was still trying to burn too much at once. The original video that I was having issues with was all in .MOD.

The problem in the end was I was trying to burn too much at once. Like I mentioned instead of two hockey games (almost two hours of film) I only put one on each disk and it burned correctly and in no time. Thanks for all the suggestions though. Regards!