• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Mp3 Problems

The Viking

Question

Hello All

Can anyone please help a rookie burn music MP3s?

I'm trying to use the Easy Music Creator. I have taught myself to make playlists preparing to burn MP3s. I've made it to the point where I've clicked the burn button. Sometimes I've gotten the message that one or more tracks creates a read error. I don't know what that means.

Other times I get the error message "Power Calibration Error - Medium Error, Click here for more information" When I click there there is no more information and I have no idea what a power calibration error is.

When I can get the project burned onto a CD-RW and start to play it, some of the tracks play perfectly, some skip a little, some skip over most of the track and some tracks won't play even a little. The tracks play perfectly from the hard drive so I don't think the problem is there, but it might be. When I've burned audio CDs and not MP3s, my results are fine, so I don't think the problem is in the burner but it might be. I'm using Memorex CD-RWs and as I said some of the tracks play just fine so I don't think the disc is the problem, but it also might be. When I used Windows Media Player to make my MP3s, I had much better results but WMP does not allow for track editing and volume normalization when making a data(MP3) disc.

As you can tell, there is more that I don't know than I do know. Was only hoping to make a few discs for the car and the home stereo. So far much more aggravation than I was hoping for.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

2 answers to this question

Hello All

Can anyone please help a rookie burn music MP3s?

I'm trying to use the Easy Music Creator. I have taught myself to make playlists preparing to burn MP3s. I've made it to the point where I've clicked the burn button. Sometimes I've gotten the message that one or more tracks creates a read error. I don't know what that means.

Other times I get the error message "Power Calibration Error - Medium Error, Click here for more information" When I click there there is no more information and I have no idea what a power calibration error is.

When I can get the project burned onto a CD-RW and start to play it, some of the tracks play perfectly, some skip a little, some skip over most of the track and some tracks won't play even a little. The tracks play perfectly from the hard drive so I don't think the problem is there, but it might be. When I've burned audio CDs and not MP3s, my results are fine, so I don't think the problem is in the burner but it might be. I'm using Memorex CD-RWs and as I said some of the tracks play just fine so I don't think the disc is the problem, but it also might be. When I used Windows Media Player to make my MP3s, I had much better results but WMP does not allow for track editing and volume normalization when making a data(MP3) disc.

As you can tell, there is more that I don't know than I do know. Was only hoping to make a few discs for the car and the home stereo. So far much more aggravation than I was hoping for.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Pick up some CD-R discs (not CD-RW), and try them.

Hello Jon,

It does seem that you're having trouble with the quality of your discs, or that your burner is becoming lame and limping. I suspect the discs, since many experienced users here don't have anything good to say about Memorex. Get some of another brand to try. Verbatim would be splendid for the job.

When a burner starts to write it will usually calibrate itself against the disc you're using, to set speed and laser power. It will make a series of test burns in a "Power Calibration Area" of the disc, and then read them back to see which setting(s) worked the best. If you get a calibration error, it means that the drive couldn't find settings which worked properly on that disc. The drive has put the error down to the disc, since the disc is the medium [singular of media] and the drive's reporting a 'medium error'.

Check out a better brand of disc.