Windows Doesn't Reboot After Installation

organicnut

Question

I have followed many threads in this discussion group and have followed the most common responses. Everytime I try and install EMC 9 Suite, Windows doesn't startup following the installation. It flashed a blue screen and then attempts to reboot again. I can't see what the blue screen is telling me either. I can only boot into safe mode.

My system includes:

Windows XP SP3

IE 7

AMD 4400 Processor

2 GB Ram

I have performed the following steps suggested here in order to perform a successful install, but none have worked:

1. I removed all instances of Roxio and Sonic in the "Perform a Clean Install" instructions. Then I reinstall and same problem happens.

2. I have disabled all my startup programs and processes prior to installation. However windows still cannot reboot.

3. When I download the EMC 9 Trial Suite package, I don't get this problem, even with all processes and startup items ENABLED. However, Roxio is asking me to purchase the full version to continue using it. But I already have the full version sitting right here next to me which doesn't install correctly.

Please help!!

10 answers to this question

I have followed many threads in this discussion group and have followed the most common responses. Everytime I try and install EMC 9 Suite, Windows doesn't startup following the installation. It flashed a blue screen and then attempts to reboot again. I can't see what the blue screen is telling me either. I can only boot into safe mode.

My system includes:

Windows XP SP3

IE 7

AMD 4400 Processor

2 GB Ram

I have performed the following steps suggested here in order to perform a successful install, but none have worked:

1. I removed all instances of Roxio and Sonic in the "Perform a Clean Install" instructions. Then I reinstall and same problem happens.

2. I have disabled all my startup programs and processes prior to installation. However windows still cannot reboot.

3. When I download the EMC 9 Trial Suite package, I don't get this problem, even with all processes and startup items ENABLED. However, Roxio is asking me to purchase the full version to continue using it. But I already have the full version sitting right here next to me which doesn't install correctly.

Please help!!

Read this; perhaps your registry cleaner was overzealous. Update to 9.1 as soon as you get the computer started.

Perhaps some of the services were still running or perhaps a missed application when you used Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility?

Edited by sknis

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I had already tried the instructions in the link you provided. And the only way to get into Windows was in safe mode. When in Safe Mode, I'm not allowed to upgrade to 9.1 because Windows Installer is not loaded (because I'm in Safe Mode).

One time I was able by pure luck to upgrade to 9.1, but this time when I did that Windows still wouldn't boot up, and my system restore lost all of its restore points and I was unable to recover my computer and had to do a clean install of my entire system.

By the way, right after I installed Windows XP Pro on a clean hard drive, I tried installing EMC 9 Suite. And I had the same problem. That was with IE 6 and Windows XP Pro SP 2. So I don't know what the problem is. I wish Roxio would give me a new CD that has the latest updates on it.

Thanks Dave. I already had my firewall turned off and I have no antivirus software installed. IN addition, I already said that I have disabled all my processes, services, system.ini and win.ini prior to installation, and still I get the stupid re re-booting all the time... UAC is also off.

I did read all the other posts in other threads and nothing seems to work. My only thought is that I shouldn't select BackTrack and do a custom install, because it seems perhaps BackTrack may also cause this error...I'll try that tomorrow and let the thread know how it went....

You shouldn't have paid $100 for it. The program is over 2 years old and 'out of support'.

Have you printed out the complete "clean install" instructions, and followed them to the letter - missing no step and adding none? That usually seems to get the suite installed.

I'm sorry I can't suggest anything further - I've never managed to get the problem you're having.

Hi Brendon, yes I printed out and performed to the letter the clean install instructions. I did it so many times now I have it memorized.

I bought this in October 2006, but didn't open it up until today because it was hidden behind some other software on my shelf and I forgot I had it.

My only thoughts were, to maybe only select to install the Creator Basic from the CD, and deselect all other options. Many people say to deselect "Drag to Disc", but that's not provided as an option for me during installation. My other idea is that I have two DVD drives installed on my system. One is a R/RW while the other is just a Read only. I've been using the R/RW drive (which happens to be drive letter E on my comp) to install this. Maybe during reboot that's causing some hardware incompatibilities??? I"ll try and install it with the disk in my D drive (the read only drive). I also thought to just copy the entire CD to my hard drive and install it from there...maybe that would work better.

The other thing is that I have 2 CDs for this program, and during installation I'm never asked to insert the 2nd CD.

Organicnut,

Finding out what the BSOD shows you before it reboots might be helpful. No guarantees, but it'll be a start.

Press the Windows and Pause keys together [or right-click on My Computer] to get to the 'System Properties' box, and click on the Advanced tab. Go for 'Startup and Recovery' Settings near the bottom right corner of that box.

post-208-1238192275.jpg

In the 'System Failure' section, make sure you have Automatically restart unchecked, and Write an event to the system log checked.

Unchecking the restart box should leave your BSOD up on the screen so you can read it. The system log might have something useful in it if you can find it. You'll probably have to go into Safe Mode to change the boxes back.

Drag to Disc should be available to uninstall in the Add/Remove Programs box of Control Panel, but I don't believe it's unselectable at install time.

The second disc will be the Content disc. It adds additional menus and artwork options. I don't use it, to reduce system clutter.

I don't think that having an additional DVDROM on your system should be causing problems. Easy Media Creator gets Windows to do almost all the reading of things during operations, and only the writing is handled by the Roxio drivers. A DVDROM shouldn't cause contention - I had one for years before I killed it while flashing a firmware update to it.

Edited by Brendon