Sign in to follow this  
Shep 61

Mpeg-2 Codec

Question

Hello, I have a dell inspiron 1721 laptop. Installed in it is E M C 2009(OEM Version). I have tried to use the CREATE DVD and also the PLUG & BURN programs but when I open either one up I get the following message:- THE FOLLOWING CODEC MUST BE ACTIVATED BEFORE USING THE APPLICATION MPEG-2. Then a box is there CLICK TO ACTIVATE- CLICK O K. I click O K Then the following message appears NO PERMISSION-BAD INSTALLATION. I know I have a MPEG-2 Codec as it it used in my Pinnacle Software. Any suggestions from anybody?

Many thanks folks

Grandad Shepherd :unsure:

4 answers to this question

Hello, I have a dell inspiron 1721 laptop. Installed in it is E M C 2009(OEM Version). I have tried to use the CREATE DVD and also the PLUG & BURN programs but when I open either one up I get the following message:- THE FOLLOWING CODEC MUST BE ACTIVATED BEFORE USING THE APPLICATION MPEG-2. Then a box is there CLICK TO ACTIVATE- CLICK O K. I click O K Then the following message appears NO PERMISSION-BAD INSTALLATION. I know I have a MPEG-2 Codec as it it used in my Pinnacle Software. Any suggestions from anybody?

Many thanks folks

Are you sure your version isn't EMC 9? That's the version that had the activation problem.

Many thanks folks

First, there is no EMC 2009 that I know of. :unsure: There is a EMC 9 and a Creator 2009. What came with yours is a cut down version of one of those -- probably EMC 9. Dell does seem to do their own thing.

That message is one that was seen on EMC 9 but I had no heard of it in Creator 10.

I think the issue here is the activation of that codec for EMC 9 along with the "bad install". If you have a disc from Dell, do a clean install and reinstall EMC 9 using the administrator's account. The instructions are for Vista; scroll down for XP instructions.

If you have EMC 9 from Dell, there is an update patch for it here.

Edited by sknis

First, there is no EMC 2009 that I know of. :unsure: There is a EMC 9 and a Creator 2009. What came with yours is a cut down version of one of those -- probably EMC 9. Dell does seem to do their own thing.

That message is one that was seen on EMC 9 but I had no heard of it in Creator 10.

I think the issue here is the activation of that codec for EMC 9 along with the "bad install". If you have a disc from Dell, do a clean install and reinstall EMC 9 using the administrator's account. The instructions are for Vista; scroll down for XP instructions.

If you have EMC 9 from Dell, there is an update patch for it here.

Hi many thanks for your advice,you are right i have EMC9. I cannot do a clean install as I hve no disc. I did what you suggested to download a patch from Dell. I did this but it told me I already have the latest software. Any other suggestions, sorry to be a pain may be it's my age and I come from good old England.

Mant thanks

Grandad shep61 :rolleyes:

Hi many thanks for your advice,you are right i have EMC9. I cannot do a clean install as I hve no disc. I did what you suggested to download a patch from Dell. I did this but it told me I already have the latest software. Any other suggestions, sorry to be a pain may be it's my age and I come from good old England.

Mant thanks

Grandad shep61 :rolleyes:

The only way you're going to be able to fix it is to do a clean install. Contact Dell to see about getting a disc or download of the program so you can reinstall it once you have it cleaned out.