• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Convert .ts Files To Dvd

ashtreex

Question

Hi, I've got a new Freesat PVR that records programmes as sets of 3 files, filename.hmt, filename.nts and filename.ts. There is no VIDEO-TS folder. Burnt to a DVD, these files won't play on a DVD player through a TV.

After lots of expensive trial and error, I have succeeded in converting them, but only using ConvertX which only runs on a PC. It converts the .ts file into several different files and the DVD will then play in a DVD player on the TV. Can Toast do the same thing on my Mac? I have tried, using settings:

DVD-VIDEO

PAL

but the result won't play in the DVD player.

My Toast is version 6.1.

I bet this is going to be an FAQ as Freesat PVRs catch on,

hope someone can help!

3 answers to this question

I don't know what is possible with Toast 6.

What I do with TS streams is open them in MPEG Streamclip and choose Convert to MPEG so they are saved as an MPEG video file. This does not involve any re-encoding so the video quality is unchanged. Toast 7 and later can use that MPEG file to author to a video DVD. If the MPEG file already meets the video DVD spec (in other words it isn't a high-definition video) then Toast typically will use it without re-encoding.

tsantee, that sounds hopeful. is that MPEG2 or MPEG4 you convert them to?

I guess MPEG2, as I see the Streamclip Features says:

MPEG Streamclip (with or without the MPEG-2 Playback Component) can also convert MPEG-2 transport streams into muxed MPEG-2 files, for immediate burning at full quality with Toast 6 or 7 and Sizzle; it can also demux MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files and transport streams with MPEG, AC3, PCM audio to M2V and AIFF (or M1A or AC3) files, for immediate burning at full quality with DVD Studio Pro or Toast 6 and 7.

must admit, it sounds like a foreign language to me! muxed??

thanks for the help, I'll have a go,

ashtreex

I don't know what is possible with Toast 6.

What I do with TS streams is open them in MPEG Streamclip and choose Convert to MPEG so they are saved as an MPEG video file. This does not involve any re-encoding so the video quality is unchanged. Toast 7 and later can use that MPEG file to author to a video DVD. If the MPEG file already meets the video DVD spec (in other words it isn't a high-definition video) then Toast typically will use it without re-encoding.

tsantee, that sounds hopeful. is that MPEG2 or MPEG4 you convert them to?

I guess MPEG2, as I see the Streamclip Features says:

MPEG Streamclip (with or without the MPEG-2 Playback Component) can also convert MPEG-2 transport streams into muxed MPEG-2 files, for immediate burning at full quality with Toast 6 or 7 and Sizzle; it can also demux MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files and transport streams with MPEG, AC3, PCM audio to M2V and AIFF (or M1A or AC3) files, for immediate burning at full quality with DVD Studio Pro or Toast 6 and 7.

must admit, it sounds like a foreign language to me! muxed??

thanks for the help, I'll have a go,

ashtreex

Muxed means the video and audio are multiplexed together in one file. It also is possible to have "de-muxed" files where the video is in one file (typically .m2v) and the audio is in another file (typically .ac3). I just mention this so you better understand the terminology.