• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Should A Clean Install Be Necessary?

fflbrgst

Question

Is a "clean reinstall" really necessary? I read all the details and it cautions you about changing your registry - why should this be needed at all?

Like the first person's questions on this thread, I was able to run the DVD software fine, then one day VideoWave encounters error and won't run.

Then today, making a music (CD) project - which I have done many times before - every time I go to burn the disc Music Creator crashes, freezes up solid with a Windows (Vista) message searching for solution, which just hangs up and necessitates a shut down/reboot.

No new software has been installed to cause this and I have downloaded and installed Roxio SP3.

Sorry, but this software is a POS. I used early versions (4 and 5) of Creator years ago and never had issues.

6 answers to this question

If it works and then it doesn't it is broken…

What broke it?

You can try an uninstall/reinstall but 99% who do find it fixes nothing. Thus the Clean Install which does seem to work 99% of the time.

V4 & V5 never gave you any trouble? You were lucky we are still getting posts on those. Besides, compared to V6 and above, they did nothing! I've never had a problem with NotePad, but I have seen Word & WordPerfect crash a'plenty…

Do the Clean Install.

Is a "clean reinstall" really necessary? I read all the details and it cautions you about changing your registry - why should this be needed at all?

I agree, it shouldn't be needed, and it is an onerous job for most and a dangerous one for some. However for some reason beyond the control of us users it is needed, so to get the software working again you need to do it.

Versions 4 and 5 were good solid software which mostly did the job clean and fast. However that was before huge and bloated software suites became fashionable.

What utter crap! To pay this kind of money and then read about all the problems people have is unacceptable - I find it laughable that so many people would just go along with it and say "it's the only solution".

What if your brand new automobile had system crashes all the time, and the dealer told you to go through a whole procedure to get it correct again like is being described for getting Creator working? By the way, I tried a simple uninstall/reinstall, and it didn't fix the problems.

My solution is to look for different software and make sure I put reviews in all commercial spots telling people about the problems inherent with this software and to point them to these forums where they can read the facts for themselves.

What utter crap! To pay this kind of money and then read about all the problems people have is unacceptable - I find it laughable that so many people would just go along with it and say "it's the only solution".

What if your brand new automobile had system crashes all the time, and the dealer told you to go through a whole procedure to get it correct again like is being described for getting Creator working? By the way, I tried a simple uninstall/reinstall, and it didn't fix the problems.

My solution is to look for different software and make sure I put reviews in all commercial spots telling people about the problems inherent with this software and to point them to these forums where they can read the facts for themselves.

Poor analogy (Never saw one yet that would hold water), but go for a different software. If I was you, I more than likely would, too.

I guess that's what a manufacturer would say after they've taken your money!

I am not sure that any manufacturer would say that, but since I don't manufacture anything, I said it.

I moved on to other products, a number of times, because of problems with a competing product. It isn't the end of the world, but it sure would be nice if one didn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a software program working.