Operation 'Build' on CaptureManager failed

jamworld

Question

I used EMC7.5 for a long time and jumped at the chance to upgrade to EMC 8 when it was first released. To my chagrin, nothing has really worked 100% since then.

I currently work around all my difficulties by having BOTH EMC8 and EMC7.5 installed on my system -as was suggested by someone in this forum - I used EMC 8 until I encounter a problem and then switch to an older but working version of that module in 7.5. It was also advised to merely use that temporarily until I worked the problems out - which I never did. Now I'm stuck.

I need to capture and work with video in 16:9 anamorphic format - so I need EMC8, right? I see no 16:9 options in EMC7.5.

CAPTURE AND PLUG & BURN in EMC8 have never, ever worked.

When I try to capture from my SONY DV CAM, I get this error dialogue:

-----

Failed to build Preview Graph

details:

-----

If I try PLUG & BURN I first get this:

-----

.\DSBurner_vr.cpp(14):*** Error NULL = pUnkRenderer

details:

Operation 'StartRecording' on Burn engine failed

-----

When I close that dialogue I get this:

-----

details:

Operation 'GetFunctionalObject' on CaptureManager failed

Failed to build preview graph

Operation 'GetFunctionalObject' on CaptureManager failed

Failed to build preview graph

-----

1. Any idea what's up and what I can do?

2. I never had any problem with EMC7.5 but there's no 16:9 anamorphic option. However, I can't seem to find any 16:9 option on EMC8's PLUG & BURN - (or is there?) But should I try to capture and working with title in EMC7.5 and switch to EMC 8 to burn a disc with anamorphic encoding? Or am I missing the entire concept.

But it sure would be nice to work with a normal-looing image and not a squshed one, though - so if anyone knows any way I can do that on EMC7.5 or EMC8, please tell me. But if I could just get to the bottom of why EMC8 won't CAPTURE, that would beginn to fix a lot of things for me.

Thanks

Jeff

20 answers to this question

If anything goes wrong, messing around with the Registry can make the computer not boot. BEEN THERE. LOL I think we're finally on the correct track, too. As for the patch not installing, definitely sounds like something ain't right. You could spend a lot of time poking around and never find it. It might be time to back up your data and start from scratch. Format C: and reinstall the OS and apps. I don't like doing that coz it takes me so long to get everything back the way I like it, but sometimes that's much easier.

Thank you, Gary. Please continue to help and don't give up on me, oh Digital Guru. I am determined to make this work!

I ran the Graphics tests, both software and hardware and experienced no problems or error messages. Nothing else is supposed to happen, right? It renders some expanding squares and it's through, right? I didn't get any messages of any kind.

Yes, I'm running my camera data into the computer via Firewire.

Here's my setup:

Dell Dimension 8300

Pentium 4 3.00GHz

2.99 GHz, 2.50GB RAM (a lot of RAM)

HD 120G, I, 8M, 7.2K, Serial ATA, SEAGATE-ALPINE

WinXP Home

SP2

GRAPHICS CARD (here may lie the problem)

nVidia GeForce 5200

128 MB DDR memory

DirectX 9.0 optimization & Support

AGP8X support

(says it supports Direct3D and OpenGL(ICD))

Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616E

TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E

SONY DVD+-RW DRX-81OUL (external - connected with FireWire)

And my source video is my SONY TRV900 connected via Firewire.

You said something that struck me. You said, "It's usually an "analog" problem." It sounds stubborn of me but when I first bought the system, Dell shipped me a faulty DVI cable and wouldn't replace it so I just hooked up my Dell flat panel 1801FP with the VGA cable and left it. (Still looks better than my living room TV). But could all these problems I'm having boil down to something as simple and stupid as that? That's just the signal to my monitor, isn't it?

I didn't realize I'd get into video as much as I am. I gave my system a huge boost by expanding the memory from 512 to 2.5 GB but as far as I can determine, I am limited to what I can upgrade my graphics card to because of the AGP configuration. (The system looks to me to have some PCI slots - but not only do I not really know what I'm doing in the first place, but all the new recommended cards seem to be for PCIexpress.)

Does this help at all? Have I given you enough to advise me further? Please let me know. And again, Thank you.

Jeff Mandel

I think you missed what I said about the graphics test. You don't change the selection. The test will change the button. With the nVidia FX5200, the text should default to Hardware. I had an FX5200 card before I upgraded to the 6200.

Make sure you have the latest nVidia drivers.

Make sure you have the latest DirectX.

The cable wouldn't have any affect. I meant capturing video with an analog capture card, but you are connected with firewire.

The capture from disc is no longer available in EMC8. If you install EMC8 AFTER V7, then that feature also disappears in V7. However, you can reinstall V7 AFTER EMC8 to get that feature back. I did that on my laptop.

Well I'm stumped. You've updated you drivers and DirectX. Capturing via firewire shouldn't cause any problems. Do you have the retail EMC8 Standard Suite? If so, check the version number of Videowave. If it is 8.05, that is the latest. If not, then download the patch.

Ivan,

Thank you for the tip. It's as I feared. The 2 people that told me 16:9 was the native format for the trv900 might have been mistaken. But whether it's true 16:9 or an electronically produced one, shouldn't the output contain some sort of 16:9 information that could be read by CAPTURE? When I had the NERO software installed, some driver or something was implanted in the system that allowed EMC8 to see it as a 16:9 signal without me doing anything. But that is great information to have, when I was trying to contact SONY no one I got on the line knew what I was talking about.

Regardless, I can't capture 4:3 or 16:9 or off a DVD of anything with EMC8. I used to be able to capture the information off a DVD with EMC7.5 but once I installed EMC8, that one function disappeared.

I have retail version 8.05. Maybe I need to wait for version 8.06.

But , hey, that Reinstall 7.5 to get back DVD capture worked like a charm! THANKS!

It also seems to have restored other minor little things and even sped up both programs. So really, Guru, except for this one main basic issue, albeit, a BIG one. Our exchanges have actually resulted in me getting a pretty hot little hybrid suite going here. (And I think I've gotten a lot more system stability as well as a lot less 0x80045203 burning errors!)

There are so many little things like DVD capture that that EMC8 seems to not do as well as 7.5, not to mention the 16:9 to MPG bug you discovered. I wonder why these things were dropped. Shouldn't the first major upgrade to EMC in awhile increase functionality? The 7.5 photosuite, for example, gives me much more control of what I need than 8's does.

Since I can always CAPTURE successfully in 7.5, the fact that 8 doesnt work at all is troubling but not necessarily a deal-breaker. But that 16:9 CAPTURE thing is going to come up again someday and be a problem again, but maybe between then and now we'll find out something. It would be acceptible - even with the quality loss - if I could CAPTURE with 7.5 which works just fine and then stretch it in 8 as 16:9 if only there were a way to get 8 to see a straight 4:3 image and treat it like an anamorphic 16:9 image.

Though we failed to understand this CAPTURE failure, I have learned an awful lot and have a whole machine full of new drivers and cleaned up registries. I still feel like we accomplished something.

If a solution occurs to you in the middle of the night, feel free to email me directly at Earthlink.net with my Roxio username. It's been frustrating but fun trying to work this out with you. Thank you. And thank you John Mills and Ivanatrox for your input. If any of you wind up checking in here with me at Belleview's Very Quiet Rest Retreat and State Hospital, we'll share a beer. (Please remember to smuggle in some beer.)

Jeff

Thanks. Yeah, I sort of misunderstood. I need to not arrive home from my day job exhausted in the wee hours and a lot of problems would disappear, probably.

This one hasn't disappeared. I tested the hardward the first time, as well as this time. And everything goes well. All I meant to say was that last time, since the button didn't change on its own to 'software,' I manually selected 'software' and tested it, too. Pointless, I see now, but it didn't hurt anything.

The results were still the same. The Graphics test from Videowave Tools/Option showed the hardware working just fine. If that's what it means when the tests run and just stop when they're done with no error messages -or, in fact, any messages whatsoever. Just a couple of exapnding squares that are "Render Only" and then the same images with "Render and Copy." And then it's over, no error message but also no message that says "Hardware A-OK" or anything like that - it just ends. Is that correct?

DRIVERS AND DIRECTX

It was such a good idea to update both the nVidia Drivers and DirectX - neither had been checked or ugraded in over a year. Everything went well and now the drivers and DirectX are up to date and the system hums along.

Depressingly, the exact problem still remains.

I almost found a solution while trying this all over again - this may help to diagnose, I don't know.

I'm completely able to capture the video with EMC7.5 - except as a 4:3 source not the 16:9 source that it is. I saw that EMC8's Videowave let's you define the project as either 4:3 or 16:9 so even though I stood to lose a lot of quality, I thought I could just create a 16:9 project and import my 4:3 video as such. Of course , it doesn't work. For the same reason burning a DVD as 4:3 from my source video doesn't work. VideoWave merely puts a "Vertical Letterbox" on each side. I need to get my DVD to be read as 16:9 data so I can't see any workaround.

So what would be the next step?

Jeff

Jam - so we're on the same page. You have the Sony TRV900 conencted via firewire. When you run Media Import, does it show you 16:9 during capture? See screen shot

At some point when you press capture, you get the build graph error?

I won't get into the finer details of 'true' anamorphic, etc. Suffice it to say that the early Sony camcorders do not use the entire CCD, but 'chop off' the top and bottom to create 16:9 losing some vertical resolution. However, the signal transferred to the PC is indeed 'anamorphic' 16:9 which uses non-square pixels.

I have the Sony TRV740 and this is a screenshot I did just a few moments ago. I ran outside and took 2 min clip of the rose bush. Media Import recognizes 16:9 throughout the process. I capture as DV AVI ONLY. If you try to capture as MPEG, for some reason, the 16:9 is lost. Possibly a bug. (?) The resulting file plays back in Windows Media Player as 16:9 and Videowave/MyDVD recognize it as 16:9.

DO NOT CAPTURE AS MPEG and see what happens.

post-49-1147290873.jpg

Sounds like we need to start from scratch. LOL Uninstall NERO. Uninstall EMC8. Do you have anything to clean your registry? If not, download REGSEEKER. It's free and backs up any entries you delete. Just use the option to 'Clean the Registry'. Delete any entries it finds for NERO and ROXIO.

reboot

Then reinstall EMC8.

Hopefully that will remove any conflicts with codecs or dlls, etc.

Be careful with ANY app that edits the registry. Regseeker is fairly good for a freebie and it does backup anything it removes.

I just went to Sony's support site. The TRV900 is almost identical to my TRV740. The only difference is the tape. Mine uses 8mm and the TRV900 uses minDV tape. The TRV900 native format is 4:3 and has a 16:9 mode. I am fairly sure it should work just like mine.

So you need to clean your registry. Nero must have installed a codec that conflicted with the standard Microsoft DV codec. Hopefuly, this will fix the issue.

You're more than welcome. That's why we're here. This is the first time I have ever seen a problem with firewire capture. Rather odd.

One last thought... did you apply the Microsoft firewire update?

Update for Windows XP (KB885222)

After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, some 1394 devices (such as digital cameras that use S400 speed) may not perform as expected.

Get it here

What worked on my machine:

I got that same error message when trying to capture using the highest Mpeg 2 setting. The resolution on that preset is 720x480. I have an older ATI TV Wonder video card. The problem on my machine at that preset was that EMC 8 was trying to capture at a higher resolution than my card could handle giving me the error message. The 480 part of that resolution is the problem for my card. It can only handle 240. AVI and Mpeg 1 presets worked fine because the resolution was 320x240. Under the drop down menu for those presets are three buttons, new, edit, and delete. You can make your own template that allows you to customize resolution for all those recording compressions by going into "new". You can not edit presets. Once I made an Mpeg 2 template and chose a resolution option that was in the resolution range of my video card, 352x240, it captured in Mpeg 2 just fine. I can not use the Mpeg 2 preset, but I can use the one I created. Don't know if that will help your case, but it might be worth going in and playing around with customizing templates. I haven't hooked up a camera, so I don't know what options it will give for creating a template for that type of device. This is just what worked for my TV card so I'm putting it out there.

Doesn't it seem like we found it? (Whatever it is.) Great last minute inspiration on your part. You are indeed the Digital Guru, now and forever.

It turns out that I do have one last trick up my sleeve that I didn't even know I had: it's called "Tom." I was just introduced to him two nights ago - he's a good friend of a friend - and if he can't put things right with my computer, there's absolutely no charge. As far as reinstalling Windows... better him than me.

And on that distant day when I accept the First Ever youTube Award for "Original Video [non-musical] Based On Home Movies Or Other Non-Commercial Material Not Originally Intended For Public Exposition" in the "Longer Than 20 Seconds But Under 4 Minutes Category," You will be at the top of my list of names to thank. That way, when the orchestra starts playing me off to "Dream the Impossible Dream" before I'm finished, I will have made sure I got to thank you.

Wish me luck,

Jeff

CAPTURE AND PLUG & BURN in EMC8 have never, ever worked.

When I try to capture from my SONY DV CAM, I get this error dialogue:

-----

Failed to build Preview Graph

details:

-----

Thanks

Jeff

I edited Jeff's message down to the problem I'm having....except trying to capture from the TV tuner.

P4 2.4, 1G Ram, XP SP2 MCE, with all latest updates and patches from microsoft video card, etc. FYI, MCE records TV just fine, and I'm hoping the "hotfix" will correct audio sync issues. So a workaround is to use MCE to record the video, but would like to take advantage of the product tools I paid for!

Please list your computer specs. The Build graph error usually occurs when trying to capture ANALOG. If you want full quality with your Sony camcorder, you should be using firewire (iLink). If you are using firewire, then the problem could be your video card.

Video editing is very demanding on the CPU and EMC8 can now take advantage of better video cards. If you have a video chipset that is built onto the motherboard, it may not fully support DirectX. These chipsets seem to causing a lot of headaches with EMC8.

Launch Videowave or MyDVD. Click on the TOOLS / OPTIONS and run the graphics test. If the button stays on software, then your video card does not support the commands needed for 3D rendering and the 3D transitions/effect will not be available.

Updating your video drivers and DirectX can also help.

Oh Guru,

Before this goes any further, I want to say how amazing it is that you have gone to this trouble, pursuing a solution to what is about to appear an endless vortex of trouble. I read someone over in the capture discussion board with a similar problem, I hope he is following this thread here and I hope others can benefit from your time. You have magnificent roses, by the way.

TO BUSINESS:

I thought this post would be nothing but congratulations and joy. CAPTURING in DV format seemed to work. At first.

My SONY TRV900 uses 16:9 as it's native format. The image fills the 4:3 screen with that side-to-side squish only 16:9 displayed in 4:3 can produce - no bars top or bottom.

EMC8's VIDEOWAVE and MY DVD, however, still see it only as a 4:3 image.

[sIDE ISSUE ONE: is there anyway to force MyDVD or VIDEOWAVE to treat a 4:3 image as a 16:9 image?]

But, too, there seemed to be one slight other problem: The AVI file created this way had no sound! In my casual scanning of discussion groups, I see this problem cropping up repeatedly.

HERE IS WHERE I CONFESS AND MAYBE HELP IN OUR DIAGNOSIS

I got to the same realization point you did: "Wait. When does the "Failed to Build Preview Graph" error occur?" Hey, that's right. If it was failing to capture an MPG file, why should it be able to capture a DV file?

When I tried it again, sure enough, I can't even get to the point where you select the capture format. The second I choose the SONY as my input device, I get "Failed to Build Preview Graph" immediately! (EMC7.5 has no trouble seeing the SONY and capturing remember, just there's no 16:9)

I tried to recreate the circumstances that enabled me to capture DV before. Ah ha!

THE CONFESSION: I was panicked. I'm seeing a couple of the guys later this afternoon who I told I might be able to have a DVD for. So while waiting to diagnose the problem, I did a bad thing (not really, but...) When I bought my new DVD burner awhile back, it came with NERO EXPRESS and though I have also scanned the discussion groups and seen endless incompatibility issues, I thought, "What the heck?" Worst case scenario, it doesn't work.

It didn't. I don't know the program and it's capabilities are greatly limited in the "Express" version. But I picked up your post and tried to CAPTURE into DV format in EMC8 and it worked!

So we seemed close to something! Happily, I completely uninstalled NERO - erased any traces - and to be safe, I put the EMC8 disc in and clicked "REPAIR."

NOW

Not only am I back to square one, but not even Media Player Classic can read this bastard AVI file that was obviously created with a NERO driver, now removed.

So my brief bout of disloyalty has at least pointed us toward something specific:

There must be some DLL file missing or corrupted, or something like that. NERO's installation allowed EMC8 to CAPTURE my SONY's output as a DV file and recognize it as a 16:9 signal. With NERO uninstalled, EMC8 crashes when I try to capture anything.

SIDE ISSUE TWO:

The AVI file I did create had no sound and was not recognized as 16:9 by EMC.

No matter, removing NERO and reinstalling EMC returned me to not being able to capture anything using EMC8, 16:9, 4:3 or otherwise.

[Meanwhile, I captured as a 4:3 source using EMC7.5 and was able to edit and burn using VIDEOWAVE (7.5) and DVD BUILDER (7.5). It's just that none of this material is recognized as 16:9 by EMC8 and EMC7.5 can't do it. (Is that right? Can 7.5 do 16:9 somehow?) Well, that's my question of the hour: I have these 16:9 sources degraded and recorded as 4:3 MPG files by EMC7.5. If there were some way to FORCE EMC8 to treat these files as 16:9 sources, that would be a workaround - one with a substantial quality loss, but it's something.]

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the time you've taken and the clarity of your explanations. I see how long this post is and I see the issues spiraling out of control and I can almost anticipate your next suggestion: "Work hard, save you money and buy a new computer." Or maybe the less drastic, "Uninstall everything - get rid of that Media Player Classic and all its codecs - and reinstall EMC8 from scratch." (Except I tried that originally when I first got EMC8 and it wouldn't CAPTURE then either.) But if you can remind me what registry changes to add to bring my DVD drives back when uninstalling EMC7.5 makes them disappear, I'll do that next.

Short of that, I've seen your roses and I imagine you have more to life than these posts and are getting very near to throwing up your hands. If not, great, I am committed. But if it is becoming a drain on resources, I will understand. Here's hoping you have one or two more tricks up your sleeve. Thanks.

Jeff

Wow, DG, interesting last minute idea.

[i have wondered from time to time if the problem is my SONY TRV900 which was discontinued in 2002. Maybe it wants to use an old Firewire speed. (Before I ever installed EMC7.5 I was never able to capture anything using Windows Movie Maker. Capture always failed there, too. EMC7.5 worked so after trying to capture in Movie Maker again and failing again, I just never looked back.)

Maybe the KB885222 patch is just what I've needed.

Alas, the installation fails with this error notice:

"Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

Then after I click OK: "KB885222 installation did not complete."

Does that mean I already did it? I'm sure I didn't.

Nowhere can I find any log or uninstall information or anything to give me a clue whether or not I have this KB885222 patch already. I doubt it. Could I have gotten it without installing it myself?

So this is all new to me and at a level I've never played around on yet (but it's a great time-eater) so maybe some of this information will be understandable and of use to you.

I can't make heads or tails out of the installation log. It fails thus:

3.422: Hotfix started with following command line:

3.578: CreateUserInterface: GetProcAddress for DefineInstallCustomUI failed: 0x7f

3.594: DoInstallation: CustomizeCall Failed: 0xb7

3.609: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Oops. So what file do I already have?

In the MS article about KB885222, it says - if I'm reading THAT correctly - that it installs or alters the following files:

Cstupd1394sidspeed.dll

and

Ohci1394.sys

Of those two, I only have Ohci1394.sys but not the first one. But in a brief cruise around "patch article territory," Ohci1394.sys seems to be a common file to install or change with many patches.

(At this point in the journey you've sent me on, I am equally convinced that this is the END-ALL BE-ALL HOTFIX for my problem and also that I will never be able to install it. Isn't that how things work?)

Further down and assuming things had worked, though, Microsoft gives instructions for switching things back if I ever need to. It explains how to change back by changing the registry. Specifically the "SidSpeed" value.

I deduce that the patch itself must create this SidSpeed value in the registry. Therefore, I could perform the same action the patch does manually by working backwards.

Here is the registry key in question and Microsoft's suggested values:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\[My device]1394_hc_hw_id\[my hardware]1394_instance_id\Device Parameters"

And in Device Parameters I should find a SidSpeed value and change it as follows:

Value Speed

0 S100 speed

1 S200 speed

2 S400 speed (default value)

3 S400/S800 speed (Windows XP Service Pack 1 [sP1] value)

Well, I have gone to the registry and at the appropriate spot I don't have any device parameter entry for SidSpeed at all. (A few other things but no SidSpeed) That makes me think the computer is using the default value of s400 speed already.

Should I add a 'SidSpeed' entry and enter a value of '3' to make sure the SidSpeed speed is S400? But that's the default, so without any entry, isn't it set at that now?

Why isn't there a SidSpeed entry now? It seems like with SP2 installed I should create a SidSpeed entry and give it a value of '0' and set the speed at S100. Maybe THAT'S the problem, the new value hasn't been set.

And probably most confusing of question of all, what does "Sid" mean in "SidSpeed?"

I'm not going to mess with this until the weekend probably. If anyone knows of any reason for me not to mess around like this, let him speak now. And if you have any other ideas, please.

Barring any words to the contrary, I'll post whatever happens... Assuming my computer will boot after all this.

Jeff

(Believe it or not, the guy that assured me that 16:9 was the 900's native format was the actual SONY guy that first demonstrated the SX cameras to Lucas and stood next to him when he shot the Start Wars films. (He claims going all the way back to the very first one ever. I tried to look him up just now and I don't think he works for Sony anymore. I wonder if he really worked for SONY ever.)

So, I am sorry to report that I installed everything and used Registry Medic to clean up the registry and saw all the Roxio EMC8 entries that remained go away. I reinstalled EMC8 and it's exactly as when I first installed it:

It won't capture anything whether it's 16:9, 4:3, MPG or AVI. It fails just as soon as I select the SONY DV CAMCORDER - it fails to build capture graph (was that it? I forgot to write it down but it't the same as before.)

On a whim, I tried to CAPTURE an MPG file from a DVD I made with it and I have lost that ability, too. I'm not sure if I ever had it with EMC8. But to my horror, I have lost that ability now in EMC7.5, too. You know how a disc icon labeled DVDBUILDER shows up on the list but you have to wait until it appears a seocnd time with a "DVD" label across it? I can't get that second icon to pop up in either program! What happened?

I sure hope these are related problems of some sort.

Is there anything I can do to help you help me? Copy down some sort of log or configuration or something? (It's me isn't it? Or any moment Allen Funt and Ashton Kutchner and that guy from SONY are going to jump out laughing, right?)

Jeff

Archived