• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Transitions

Bruce Ausderau

Question

17 answers to this question

I recently purchased Creator 2009. When I go to "add transition" I get a window that says "there are no items to show in this view." I can only add transition themes. What am I doing wrong?

Just a guess. You have chosen a set of transitions that are 3D and supported only with a good video card. When you installed the program, it check to see if you could do 3D rendering and it decided that you could not. The program set the rendering to software. To check, open Video Wave, go to the top menu and select tools, options and look to see if there is a dot near software. If it is, then that is the situation.

To see what you are missing, put a dot near hardware and look at the extra transitions that show up. Make sure you put the dot back to software or you will have frequent hangs.

To get the 3D transition if you have a desk top, you can install a better video card. if a laptop, you are pretty much stuck with the video chip. Make sure you have updated the drivers for the video chip from the manufacturer. Select the "All" transitio category; it may be enough.

How old is your computer? If it is several years old, you card/chip may not be DirectX 9c compatible. I'm assuming that you have XP rather than Vista.

post-58-1238243789.jpg

post-58-1238243801.jpg

Edited by sknis

[quote name='Bruce Ausderau' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:56 PM' post='265690'

I recently purchased Creator 2009. When I go to "add transition" I get a window that says "there are no items to show in this view." I can only add transition themes. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the reply. I tried the software to hardware option and I still have the same problem, there are no transitions that show up when I ask it to "add transitions." My computer is a new Dell XPS M1330 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium that I just purchased in Dec. 2008. I had some difficulting loading Roxio and had help from Roxio Support so I believe I have all of the latest updates, etc. For example I ended up with DirectX 10, etc. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I can certainly use the program the way it is, but I can only use "transition themes."

[quote name='Bruce Ausderau' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:56 PM' post='265690'

Thanks for the reply. I tried the software to hardware option and I still have the same problem, there are no transitions that show up when I ask it to "add transitions." My computer is a new Dell XPS M1330 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium that I just purchased in Dec. 2008. I had some difficulting loading Roxio and had help from Roxio Support so I believe I have all of the latest updates, etc. For example I ended up with DirectX 10, etc. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I can certainly use the program the way it is, but I can only use "transition themes."

I forgot to ask if you are using Video Wave? If you are using some other application such as a Slide Show Assistant, you can only use themes.

If you are using Video Wave, let's make sure they are there. Open Video Wave and go to the top menu. Select View. Select "Effects selector. Now go back and select "Dock effects selector". it will show up on the right of your screen and it will be there every time you open Video Wave. Select "Reveals". Do you see a bunch of them there? Now select 3D; do you see any?

If you are using the three step Slide Show Assistant, in the third step, you can select to edit the slide show in VideoWave. That is the best place to do slide shows and video editing.

I am using videowave for my slide show. I went to tools and selected the effect selector and then selected to dock it and and I still did not get any transitions to show up, not even the 3-D ones. I also checked to make sure my resoution was set correctly for my screen. Because in the past I would get a window that would tell me the minimum resolution along with 16 bit that was needed to use the effect selector. I am stumped!!!

I am using videowave for my slide show. I went to tools and selected the effect selector and then selected to dock it and and I still did not get any transitions to show up, not even the 3-D ones. I also checked to make sure my resoution was set correctly for my screen. Because in the past I would get a window that would tell me the minimum resolution along with 16 bit that was needed to use the effect selector. I am stumped!!!

Things are starting to become confusing.

1) Have you set the program for software mode?

2) Do you see any transitions, effects, etc. in software mode? You will not see 3D transitions in software mode.

3) Try reinstalling your video card/chip driver. (Please post what you have).

4) Update DirectX for your operating system.

5) Is Windows set for 96 dpi?

If you see no transitions after the above, it is time to consider a clean install to a had drive that has been checked for malware and has been defragged. Make sure you do not have your anti-virus running during the install.

Sorry for the confusion. I am in software rendering mode, my default setting is 96 DPI, I have directX 10 and my video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS. When I am in software rendering mode the only transitions that I can see are the "transition themes." When I go to the effect selector there are no transitions at all and I have reinstalled the video card.

Anything can happen but I would be very surprised if I have any malware on my harddrive and the computer is basically brand new with nothing on the harddrive so when I try to defrag it tells me I do not need to.

Anything can happen but I would be very surprised if I have any malware on my harddrive and the computer is basically brand new with nothing on the harddrive so when I try to defrag it tells me I do not need to.

If you wait till it says you need to defrag, it will then tell you, you don't have enough space :lol: Time it to see how long it take even though it 'isn't needed'.

Steve has been doing this stuff for many years and is not in the practice of passing out bad advice!

Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens. Just out of curiousity, I purchased this program on March 11 and have been trying to get it to work ever since. I am by no means a computer "wiz" but I can get around pretty well in terms of finding things to check in the control panel, etc.

What do people do that do not have the computer knowledge to follow some of the suggestions that have been given to me. And do other people have this much trouble loading Roxio? I am getting to the 30 days of my money back guarentee and have to make a decision soon as to whether or not I will keep it or return it.

My goal is to keep it. I will keep you posted.

Sounds like a clean install is in order.

Make sure that you have checked for malware, defragged your hard drive, and turn off your anti-virus. Print off the instructions and follow them exactly.

Instruction for XP here; scroll down on that page for Vista instructions.

Tired to scroll down to get Vista instructions but there was nothing there.

Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens. Just out of curiousity, I purchased this program on March 11 and have been trying to get it to work ever since. I am by no means a computer "wiz" but I can get around pretty well in terms of finding things to check in the control panel, etc.

What do people do that do not have the computer knowledge to follow some of the suggestions that have been given to me. And do other people have this much trouble loading Roxio? I am getting to the 30 days of my money back guarentee and have to make a decision soon as to whether or not I will keep it or return it.

Tired to scroll down to get Vista instructions but there was nothing there.

Try this one

*** CLEAN INSTALL LINKS ****

Creator 2009

Vista: http://kb.roxio.com/content//kb/Creator/000207CR

Most people do not have the same problems you're seeing. Of course, if you only look at the posts on a forum like this one, you would think that everyone has problems, but, if you think about it, typically the only people who have problems will come to a forum like this one.

For those with minimal computer skills that do have problems, either they start acquiring skills they probably hoped they'd never need, they have a friend with these computer skills help them, or they return the program.

Did you ever get this to work?

I too am having the exact same problems. I have been using EMC 9 for years without problems, but needed to upgrade. So, I downloaded and installed Creator 2009 lat week and NOT been able to get the transitions to work.

I've followed every bit of advice that I read in this board. Uninstalled, cleanup up the system, re-installed. Same problem. I have also removed every other Roxio and Sonic program that I could find.

Transistions work great with EMC 9, but not this 2009 product. My computer supported this before, but not now.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm not a beginner and do understand a good bit.

I have some questions like were are the transitions being created? I see the XML and .dat files. So can I have a permission issue? I've been running as Admin on XP, so I should have access.

I've got the patience for one more re-install. Should I reboot between the main product install and the content install? Should I reboot before applying SP4 to the product.

I would love to stay with this product but right now it is not useable enough without transitions and going back to EMC 9 doesn't generate DVDs that work on the newer DVD players. My backlog is starting to get bad, but that has nothing to do wtih this problem!

Malware and viruses are not an issue on this machine, but I see you tell us to turn off virus protection during the install. I didn't do that before.

TIA!

-Dan

Do you see any transitions at all? The 3D transition are not available if you have a video card or chipset that does not fully support DirectX 9.

No transitions at all in the "Add Transition" window. I can add a transition theme to the whole production, and that works fine. But I can't add an individual transition since the window that pops up from the "Add Transistion" says that now are found.

I just wish I knew more about what is going on in the background. I understand from reading in here about the 3D transitions, but I don't get anything.

But !! They render when I build the production... I just can't add them since the only way I see to do that is through the "Add Transition". If there were a way to manually type the transition name into something, then I could suffer through it.

Do you see any transitions at all? The 3D transition are not available if you have a video card or chipset that does not fully support DirectX 9.

Well, I now have transitions after my 4th install. This time I did NOT install the SP4 patch.

Since I downloaded all 3 items at the same time, my other installs performed all 3 installs before I tried to use the product. This time I only did the program and content and brought up Creator 2009. So, I'm happy but now I'm asking myself if I feel lucky or not!

Should I try the SP4 again? What does it buy me in terms of fixes? Do I really need them? These are the questions I'm asking myself. Should I stop and just get back to doing what I bought this product to do in the first place. I think so.

I saw in some other posts that this SP4 messed up their installs in different ways. So, that seems to be my issue also. BTW, the machine I'm using is only 2 years old and I'm a PITA in terms of putting anything on it. It is very clean!

So, any wagers on whether I should try the SP4 again?

Finally, thanks for the time and help that you put into quickly answering posts

-Dan

Well, I now have transitions after my 4th install. This time I did NOT install the SP4 patch.

Since I downloaded all 3 items at the same time, my other installs performed all 3 installs before I tried to use the product. This time I only did the program and content and brought up Creator 2009. So, I'm happy but now I'm asking myself if I feel lucky or not!

Should I try the SP4 again? What does it buy me in terms of fixes? Do I really need them? These are the questions I'm asking myself. Should I stop and just get back to doing what I bought this product to do in the first place. I think so.

I saw in some other posts that this SP4 messed up their installs in different ways. So, that seems to be my issue also. BTW, the machine I'm using is only 2 years old and I'm a PITA in terms of putting anything on it. It is very clean!

So, any wagers on whether I should try the SP4 again?

Finally, thanks for the time and help that you put into quickly answering posts

-Dan

Well, since you have doubts, and a working system, then the approach I would take is to make a system backup/image now, install the SP4 update, and if it breaks the installation, simply reload from the backup and say "to heck" with the SP4 update. That's one of the great uses of system backups.

Hope that helps!