• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

I Cannot View My Dvd? Grrrr!

GothamGrrrl

I cannot view my DVD; (it possibly was created on a Mac) but I am TRUE non-cyber-geek/novice of all. How can I view my home-made DVD?? PLEEEEAASE HELP me! I have WindowsVistaBasic.

If it was created on a Mac for use on a MAC, then it is not a true DVD; it is a form of data disc. What program are you using to play the DVD? Are you just not able to play or are you getting error messages?

Try three things.

1) Try playing it on a DVD player connected to a TV? Does it play. If it does and it does not play on your computer, it is probably a issue that you do not have the correct coding/decoding (codec) programs on your computer. If it does not play, then

2) put the disc into your computer and explore the disc, what kinds of folders do you have on the DVD? Post those names here.

3) Download the free VLC video player (link) to see if it will play the video. That program will play about anything that is a video file.

If it plays on the DVD player, come back and let us know so we can give you more information about the codec.

Come back and let us know what you have done after all of this.

Edited by sknis

I cannot view my DVD; (it possibly was created on a Mac) but I am TRUE non-cyber-geek/novice of all. How can I view my home-made DVD?? PLEEEEAASE HELP me! I have WindowsVistaBasic.

In addition to what Sknis stated above, not all versions of Vista can play a DVD. Some versions such as Vista Business requires an "add in" (or decoder) for WMP in order to play a DVD. I do not remember if Vista Basic's WMP can play a DVD without the add-in. Simplest thing is to try a known DVD (preferrably a commercial DVD) to see if it will play in WMP. If not then you probably need a decoder. Roxio has a DVD Decoder for Vista here for those versions of Vista that do not have the capabilities to play a DVD.

Of course, if you are using some other viewer then this may not be the problem.

Edit: WMP=Windows Media Player

Edited by who are you