Should I Install Two Drives?

ronkleim

Question

Looks like I double ordered my replacement DVD drive and will be getting two identical LG DVD/CD IDE drives.

Should I install both?

Would this make copying discs faster?

Anything special I have to do to install one or both of these drives other than plugging in the cables?

I have an HP computer, only a couple years old. VISTA

Edited by ronkleim

6 answers to this question

Putting the new drives on different channels and different controllers would help if your system has the hardware. If you are doing multiple copies of the same CD then copy the CD to your hard drive and then make copies from that image.

Edited by Big_Dave

You can copy the same material from the hard drive to two drives at once with Roxio software, but I don't recommend copying "on the fly" where you're reading a disc on one drive at the same time as you're writing it out on the other drive. That method is not so error-free.

You can copy the same material from the hard drive to two drives at once with Roxio software, but I don't recommend copying "on the fly" where you're reading a disc on one drive at the same time as you're writing it out on the other drive. That method is not so error-free.

Yeah, that's what I've heard.

Speaking of errors, I've never had the "verify" read report anything even on discs that later seemed to have errors :blink:

Ron

PS. Somehow I can't imagine I'll have ZERO problems when I install even ONE new drive.

I'll be way happy if I get that far.

Then I will try my first LIGHTSCRIBE dvds!

Don't expect too much from Lightscribe, Ron, and certainly don't expect it at all quickly. :)

As far as installing two drives go, the main thing to remember is that where there are two IDE drives on a plain cable one has to be "master" and the other is set by jumpers as "slave".

If your computer uses a modified "cable select" cable, both drives are set to "CS".

Cheers,

Brendon