• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Too big?

Howdy!

Can anyone tell me why a 730,000Meg .AVI file and a 1,200,000Meg Mpeg-2 file both wind up as well over 5 Gig when I attempt to make a DVD? I add nothing to the "setup" and even delete out the "Roxio splash" movie that it tries to put in each DVD. Main screen and movie is all I have, but the darn thing makes it too big to put on a DVD disc. :)

Anyone?

Thanks!

Michael

As someone else may clarify an avi is just a container.There are many different file formats than can be made into an avi.Most of these are highly compressed.When a DVD is made they are converted into mpeg format which is what a dvd uses.This conversion results in a file of much larger size.As an example I've been using recorded tv shows that are about 45 min long that start as XVid .avi files that start as around 350Mb and end up being around 3.1 Gb when encoded and menus added.

If you are burning a data disc, then the qualification is file size.

If you are burning a DVD, then the quallification is time.

I think it's something like a max of 1 hr at best quality and 90 minutes of good quality, altho James Hardin is the one who has that info.

As Terry says, the file will be re-coded into DVD coding, no matter what it starts with.

Lynn

Cripes, I feel so stupid...

I went into the preferences and changed the compression to "high" under "encoding" and the thing dropped down to 3.1Gig. Guess I need to do more of "checking around" before I start whining about it, eh? :)

Thanks for the replies, though, I do appreciate it!

Michael

I can save you a little trouble there… In V6 you have 2 settings, High Compression and Low Compression. Skip Auto as it will only pick one or the other.

High Compression equates to low quality. Most folks won't even want to look at the results from that.

Tests I ran indicate, V6 Builder Limits:

60 minutes at Low Compression, Est Project Size 3.385gb

95 minutes at High Compression, Est Project Size 3.354gb

Archived