• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Data Migration across different computers

vventurella

I burned a number of CDs using ECDC 3 or 4 and then a few with ECDC 6 on an HP Me system. Then I switched laptops (and then Desktop) to HPs with XP and XP MCE, resp. that uses Record Now.

I can't read or work with my old CDs on the new XP systems since, I guess, they are not closed.

Is there anything I can do with the old CDs to be able to use the data on the new systems?

Thanks

Vince

I burned a number of CDs using ECDC 3 or 4 and then a few with ECDC 6 on an HP Me system. Then I switched laptops (and then Desktop) to HPs with XP and XP MCE, resp. that uses Record Now.

I can't read or work with my old CDs on the new XP systems since, I guess, they are not closed.

Is there anything I can do with the old CDs to be able to use the data on the new systems?

Thanks

Vince

Did you use packet writing software to make those CD's? I think it was called Direct CD back then. If you formatted your CD, then you used packet writing software, and I think that you will have to find a machine with ECDC 3 or 4, and ECDC 6 on it, to recover the data.

There is no problem installing ECDC 6 on an XP machine, but the others won't run on an XP machine.

If you used Creator Classic, like you should have, to make those CD's, there should be no problem at all reading them in Windows XP.

Thanks

Vince

First, as GrandpaBruce has pointed out, it may be possible to rcover the data with an older computer with the older program.

However, all Packet-Writing programs (DirectCD, Drag2Disc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, etc) tend to be fussy (at best) at being read - often demanding the exact same combination of Operating Sytem and Program Version that wrote them. Or, the disc can just plain fail.

If you used RW media, RW media gradually fades to blank, taking all the data with it.

You might try one of the recovery programs, such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards. Both have a "trial" version that lets you see if there is anything that can be recovered before you have to pay. (Your odds are better with CD-R, obviously.)

For future reference: If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc, and NEVER use RW media.

Lynn

(written in memory of the data I lost with a formated CD-RW)

Archived