My CD and DVD drivers are gone

yves_poissant

Question

In my device manager list, the CD drive and the DVD drive have a yellow interrogatoin marks on them. Nothing will restore them. When trying to update the drivers from the device manager, I get a reply that no newer drivers are availables and I can only exit. Trying to install new hardware, I get a reply that the hardware is already installed. I tried a system restore and it won't work either. I get a reply that restore cannot be completed abnd no changes were made to my system. I also tried to remove the drivers altogether. Although it looks like they are removed, when I reboot, they are back there with their yellow interrogation marks.

In my experience, that means essentially one thing. I will have to reformat the drive, re-install WIndows XP Pro and reinstall all the applications. Not a funny perspective.

How did this happened? I used to do my backups on CDs with EMC 7.5. With 160 Gigs of drives, that takes a lot of CDs and also a lot of time. So I thought that I could cut both time and media down by opting for a DVD burner. I bought an External USB Plextor PX-740UF that came with EMC7.0. I just pluged the drive and launched my already installed EMC 7.5. It wouldn't burn any DVD-R or DVD+R that I put in the drive. So I thought of upgrading to EMC 8.0. I did. MISTAKE.

EMC 8.0 literally trashed at least one DVD before it could burn one correctly. I continuously got SCSI error 0x2100000005 "A SCSI request have generated an error". Any one know why I get those errors? The drive is connected directly on one of the motherboard USB port. Not on a hub. I also disconnected all the other USB devices to make sure. It's been only 2 days since I installed all that. Yesterday night, it would just trash all the DVD I put in the drive without ever burning a single DVD. At 3AM, exhausted and disgusted, I went to bed with a deep sense of doom.

This morning, still no luck, So I decided to revert to EMC 7.5. I first uninstalled EMC 8 and ran Roxizap.exe. All looked fine except that the external USD DVD drive is no more recognized when pluged. I reinstalled EMC 7.5. Now here is not a single CD or DVD drive (I already had an internal CD-ROM drive) that appear in "My Computer" window. When I check in the device manager, I get those yellow interrogation marks.

I've been using EMC since it was Corel CD creator back in version 3 and kept using it when it was Adaptec and still kept on using it. But this experience is a scary one to say the least. I don't want to live that again so if I need to reinstall Windows XP and all the applications, Roxio EMC (any version) will NOT be part of them. I should have read the comments around on the Web before making that decision.

I must leave for a long trip soon so I will not be able to reinstall everything before I leave. So in the meantime, if anybody have good advises or tips to get me out of this mess, I would appreciate it enormously.

BTW, I tested the Plextor DVD drive on a portable with Nero already installed and everything worked fine so it is apparently not the drive fault.

Sorry for the long rambling but I had to get this out of my system.

Yves

10 answers to this question

I think that the folks helping you here, are confused, because you said you purchased a PX-740UF, in your first post. :)

I know. I'm not blaming the fine people who are helping. I'm confused too because of two different informations about the product number in the kit. Sorry but that is what I have in hand. I first wrote PX-740UF because I had the paper notice handily available when I wrote the post. It is only after I observed the name "PLEXTOR DVDR PX-750 USB Device" in the device manager tree that I checked the label under the drive and then on the packaging.

I know. I'm not blaming the fine people who are helping. I'm confused too because of two different informations about the product number in the kit. Sorry but that is what I have in hand. I first wrote PX-740UF because I had the paper notice handily available when I wrote the post. It is only after I observed the name "PLEXTOR DVDR PX-750 USB Device" in the device manager tree that I checked the label under the drive and then on the packaging.

If it is the 750UF, you don't want to use the firmware for the 740UF to update.

So far, I found only one brand of DVD+R that the drive will accept without errors. Plextor tech support thinks the drive is defective and I should return to the retailer to get a replacement. So right now I call this case closed. Thanks for all the help.

Yves

Update: I decided to remove EMC 7.5 and run RoxiZap.exe again and this restored the Microsoft drivers it seems and I now have my CD-RW and DVD-RAM drives back and functional (I can read CD and DVD in both and I can write CD in the CD-RW with WIndows XP) although now I cannot write on the DVD-RAM drive because I don't have a software to do that.

Can anyone advise me as to how to install EMC the correct way? Either 7.5 or 8, I have both. What did I do wrong the first time?

There are two fixes if you lose your drives. This one is the simplest; it is pinned to the top of this board. The second one involves editing your registry to reset the upper and lower filters.. You must make a backup and follow the instructions exactly. Search this site for the instructions. This was just reposted in the last day or so.

Update: I decided to remove EMC 7.5 and run RoxiZap.exe again and this restored the Microsoft drivers it seems and I now have my CD-RW and DVD-RAM drives back and functional (I can read CD and DVD in both and I can write CD in the CD-RW with WIndows XP) although now I cannot write on the DVD-RAM drive because I don't have a software to do that.

Can anyone advise me as to how to install EMC the correct way? Either 7.5 or 8, I have both. What did I do wrong the first time?

Do you have the latest drivers and/or firmware for your burner?

Did you read the tech notes at the top of this forum regarding "dissapearing" drives and how to recover them?

Do you have the latest drivers and/or firmware for your burner?

As far as I know, I do have the latest firmware as Plextor Web site doesn't display any update to whatever concerning this drive. Actually Plextor doesn't provide any type of information, documentation, patches, drivers or firmware for this kit except sale pitches and features. I guess this means it is perfect. :)

Did you read the tech notes at the top of this forum regarding "dissapearing" drives and how to recover them?

No because the title didn't seem related but I just did. Thanks for pointing in this direction.

I will retry to install Roxio 8, keeping those "tools" ready to intervene if need be. At least now I know how to recover the system to a usable state.

In the meantime, I tried Nero as an alternative (I don't mind the money, I just want something that will work). Although it burned a DVD-R without a hickup, the interface is SOOO SLOOOOOOW it is barely usable. I bought a DVD burner to save time and it turns out I never spent so much time to make my backups.

Yves

As far as I know, I do have the latest firmware as Plextor Web site doesn't display any update to whatever concerning this drive. Actually Plextor doesn't provide any type of information, documentation, patches, drivers or firmware for this kit except sale pitches and features. I guess this means it is perfect.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/sup...loads.html#firm

Version 1.02

Windows Upgrade Download (File Size: 1,132KB)

Date posted: Jan 06, 2006

Improved writing performance on DVD/CD media

Click here for previous firmware upgrades.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/dow...ds/firm_740.htm

This firmware is for the PX-740A and PX-740UF. If you are updating the PX740UF, please use the USB2.0 port instead of the IEEE1394 (Firewire port) to avoid data corruption. This only affects the PX-740UF. For PX-740A users, just press "OK" at the prompt to update.

Software Upgrades Firmware Upgrades Installation & User Manuals Drivers

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/sup..._downloads.html

cdanteek

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/sup...loads.html#firm

Version 1.02

Windows Upgrade Download (File Size: 1,132KB)

Date posted: Jan 06, 2006

Improved writing performance on DVD/CD media

Click here for previous firmware upgrades.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/dow...ds/firm_740.htm

This firmware is for the PX-740A and PX-740UF. If you are updating the PX740UF, please use the USB2.0 port instead of the IEEE1394 (Firewire port) to avoid data corruption. This only affects the PX-740UF. For PX-740A users, just press "OK" at the prompt to update.

Software Upgrades Firmware Upgrades Installation & User Manuals Drivers

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/sup..._downloads.html

Thanks for the pointer. But I'm still confused. The firmware updates are for the PX-740UF. The only mention of PX-740UF I have in the drive kit is a paper notice mentioning that I should use FireWire connection for Windows ME. Apart from that, the sticker under the drive actually says PX-750UF and the packaging box says PX-750UF as well. Since this is Firmware updates, I'm reticent to do the update. What do you think? Should I update a PX-750UF drive with a firmware update that is designed for the 740? If that was for the 750 as well as the 740, woun't Plextor mention that on their update Web page?

Yves

Thanks for the pointer. But I'm still confused. The firmware updates are for the PX-740UF. The only mention of PX-740UF I have in the drive kit is a paper notice mentioning that I should use FireWire connection for Windows ME. Apart from that, the sticker under the drive actually says PX-750UF and the packaging box says PX-750UF as well. Since this is Firmware updates, I'm reticent to do the update. What do you think? Should I update a PX-750UF drive with a firmware update that is designed for the 740? If that was for the 750 as well as the 740, woun't Plextor mention that on their update Web page?

Yves

I think that the folks helping you here, are confused, because you said you purchased a PX-740UF, in your first post. :)

Archived